on 30 October 2003
What can I say about the work of Dylan Thomas that hasn't already been said?
Nothing really, this brilliant collection of stories ranges from his first workings like 'the Tree' and 'the visitor' which clearly showed the magical imaginative writing we've all come to expect from Dylan Thomas. Never has joy and pain, love and murder been mixed together so well on paper.
Collected stories also contains early ideas for under milk wood in 'Quite early one morning' and the fantastic 'A childs christmas in wales'. Humour and fantasy and over all entertainment. Dylan Thomas should be introduced to Children and Adults alike.
Theres no single word that could sum up this book as the mix of content is so varied. But we all know what we've come to expect of Dylan Thomas and you won't be let down. a classic mixture of stories from a magical and greatly missed author.
on 26 April 2011
Having only listened to Under Milkwood, this was my first Dylan Thomas book. It is an ideal first book as it is collection of short stories, and you are bound to find at least one story you will love. Thomas has a wonderful writing style, very descriptive and evocative. It is well worth a read.
on 21 September 2013
Who would not love this collection .Warning. some of this collection is darker than usual ... but who could fail to love this wordsmith..
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 September 2009
It is autumn, bookless night in the small town, wordless and bible-black, the duvet silent and the hunched, knees-and-ankles tent billowing invisible down to the ... oh, you know how it goes.

This is THE MOST GLORIOUSLY FUNNY set of stories I have had the pleasure to read for a long time - some a bit weird, but mostly laugh-out-loud and all with echoes of the future Under Milk Wood.

Here is a bit from "Four Lost Souls" (after the thinly disguised protagonist has been led to take his clothes off, get in a bath and drink eau-de-cologne). He is in a bar and a little confused, so in an aside, the narrator says "I have put these facts down clearly because the scent I drank in the bath is still troublesome and people will not keep still". (Come closer now. Listen, you can hear Richard Burton slur the lines)

And then in the wonderfully reminiscent "Child's Christmas in Wales", one small boy says "Were there Uncles like in our house?", to which our hero replies with the immortal "There are always Uncles at Christmas" - which (in my recollection) was ever true - including mad Uncle Peter (who thought his mini van was the Lunar Module [it was the late '60s].

And as the man says "from where you are, you can hear their dreams"...
on 27 July 2012
As always with Dylan Thomas an excellent read. Wonderful to take on a train or plane, but not to take to bed as I could not stop reading!
on 11 February 2014
An interesting book, still yet to finish it. Delivery spot on. All the books are packed to a high standard. Thank you
on 2 July 2014
contained all the poems I wanted to read.
on 15 August 2011
After waiting over a month, and still not having received my book I emailed 'Edwaards Specials' on three different occasions but I never got any reply at all.
So I definitely cannot recommend this company.
Thanks to 'Amazon. my money is being refunded in a prompt and straight forward fashion.