4.0 out of 5 stars Long and involved, but interesting
Published on 8 Aug 2001 by bobobob5

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for the layman but some good deep thinking,
I may as well start by saying that I have a degree in Applied physics and I'm more exposed to this kind of thinking than the average reader. This book is more an excercise in deep thought than an enlightening read.
Published on 26 Oct 2007 by Jimmie

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for the layman but some good deep thinking,, 26 Oct 2007
This review is from: The End Of Time: The Next Revolution in Our Understanding of the Universe (Paperback)
I can't imagine anyone not finding some of the ideas and imaginings in this book hard to grasp unless they have a technical science background and are used to thinking in this manner. His overall view of time I disagree with but that doesn't mean I regret reading it. In fact I found it to be a very thought provoking book which is always a good thing.
Because of the obscurity of the subject the author in no way really convinced me of his beliefs, since the arguments he puts forward are a mesh between his own eccentric thoughts about timelessness coupled with an underlying quantum mechanical structure to it. A process which would seem to be impossible to prove anyway. But still a eye-opening read.
I'm giving it 3 stars because of the difficulty of understanding some of the material he puts across which I don't recommend for someone looking for a nice and easy interesting science read, the book is hard to get through compared to most popular science books.
As a result of the awkward material presented I can't say that I found this book to be an exciting read either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Long and involved, but interesting, 8 Aug 2001
Humans find it quite easy to grasp the idea of spacial dimensions. This might be because we have eyes, and skin that can feel things. If a clock was conscious, would it find space to be the elusive dimension? The author starts from the premise that time is inherently elusive, and he seeks to resolve this by eliminating it entirely. Inevitably, the notorious dual-slit light interference experiment features centrally in the book, as it does in Professor Deutsch's studies. Both of these quantum physicists are drawn to the multiple worlds (multiverse) theory, in which a virtually infinite number of universes exist simultaneously, 'touching' and affecting each other through the interaction of electromagnetic particles and probabilities. This theory is not accepted by the majority of physicists. Barbour's book is not an easy read; the early parts are far too long, and the conclusions - and the resultant implications - are not really clear at all. Having read the book, I certainly find it easier to imagine the universe existing as a timeless present moment, with no past and no future. Whether this book is on the right track, or merely leading its readers up the garden path, only the 'future' will reveal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complex, but ultimately interesting, 12 Mar 2001
G. Heywood (Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
This book was difficult to get into the first time. An awful lot is packed in. The first chapters seem to explain the authors general idea, and the rest of the book explains how this fits into other physics theories. This was difficult to start with because you have to take some assumptions at face value until they are explained in full. Having said that, the diagrams are excellent, and the information is ultimately accessable. You may need to read it twice, but it is worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Jan 2013
L. P. Cutler - See all my reviews
A refreshingly different notion of existence. Quite thought provoking. Nothing else to say, I will just add a few more words to make the minimum needed for a review. OK that's done.

3.0 out of 5 stars what can I say, 5 Oct 2011
Mr. Rf Loach "Roywebcafe" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a very interesting book but heavy on physics and mathematics for someone like me. If I had I known would not have bought it. Consequently I find it difficult to read past the first few chapters. :-(
Buy this if maths and physics are your thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating read, 18 April 2000
By A Customer
There are currently several books dealing with new theories in physics, they are fascinating but I found the "End of Time" a bit disappointing after all the newspaper hype. What I want in a book of this type are three things, firstly to be educated on the general theoretical background, entertainingly presented the history of the subject up to the present day, secondly the author must, as succinctly as possible, explain their theory; show where it supports and where it overturns conventional ideas. Finally the books must present conclusions, sketch out the likely impact of the new concept. The "End of Time" devotes many pages to arguments in favour of the author's thesis, in a way that will bore the general reader but is unlikely to convince the physicist. Near the end of the book my feeling was ok ok you win, just tell me the implications, but that's the problem, the author refuses to speculate, possibly on the spurious grounds that predictions are impossible in a world without time. In summary a long, confusing and eventually a frustrating read. If you want to see how a book of this type should be handled read the unbelievably good "The Inflationary Universe" by Alan H. Guth.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but over elaborate, 28 Mar 2001
By A Customer
The theme of the book is interesting. His theories of time gives even a non theoretical Physcist the potential to open their minds and excite themselves with wondering thoughts. Dispite this, the Author is so worshipping of his own theory of time he seems to get lost in a fantasy world of his own and gives to many childish metaphors in trying to make the theory imaginable.

5.0 out of 5 stars The End of Time, 16 Feb 2009
Ms. Anne Y. Tamplin "Rose" (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
I found the book to be amazing, and very thought provoking. Each chapter needs time to sink in, and in some places it should be re-read so that one understands the authors views on how we stand in the present time, and in past times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Einsteins own view 'Time is a stubborn illusion', 3 Nov 2006
I am reading this a present so apologies for writing a review before completeing this but it was irresistable. As readers currently may know Hawking had worked on the idea that time and space had no actual beigining because of quantum uncertainty when the universe was smaller than plancks length - so that the question of a beginning was not relevant. However Einstein had already gone a 'quantum leap further by saying "the concept of past present and future are an illusion and a stubborn one at that.....". Perhaps he was ahead of the game.Hence I was very interested in this book. I am looking forward to completeing this book as much of our confusion about the nature of reality is based upon our failure to confront issues about the nature of time and a healthy open minded study of this beguiling human perception is welcomed.

2.0 out of 5 stars An overwhelming feeling of so what, 17 Feb 2002
By A Customer
I found the "End of Time" extremely disappointing particularly after reading the recommendations on the back of the book. I never knew Jon Turney, John Gribbin and John Barrow to all be so wrong. This book completely lacks any discussions of what a timeless universe implies, indeed it wasn't until the notes that it was clear what the author meant by it. The "End of Time" is full of pages of argument as to why there is no time, but it's done in a very dull way for the lay reader, and, as the email printed in the notes shows, his thesis has far too many holes to convince more conventional physicists. There was absolutely nothing on what timelessness actually means, no speculation at all (which as a previous reviewer noted may be because there's nothing to predict. A highly worthy but dull book. I shan't be keeping it on my shelf

The End Of Time: The Next Revolution in Our Understanding of the Universe