4.0 out of 5 stars This is China., 24 Sep 2000
This review is from: A Bend In The Yellow River (Paperback)
I have just spent the past 6 months living in the same province in China as Justin Hill, teaching English. I can now say from experience that his was a brilliant account of life in Northern China. I read his book before I went and it gave me an idea of what to expect which was very realistic. I am pleased to say that Shanxi province has chnaged quite alot in the 5 years or so since he was there. A great book. I recommend it to anyone planning to spend any length of time in China or who is curious about life in Northern China.

5.0 out of 5 stars it helped me understand, 9 Mar 2000
This review is from: A Bend In The Yellow River (Paperback)
i lived in hong kong for a few years, and china was always a bit of a challenge and a mystery for me. I read this book and it made me feel a lot better about the problems i had, and it kind of showed me a way through them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Every book begins with a single chapter, 10 Sep 2010
This review is from: A Bend In The Yellow River (Paperback)
If you have done it yourself, or know someone who has, spent a spell on VSO work in China- you'll find this interesting enough. Bit disjointed in parts but certainly written with some insight and empathy for the local Chinese.

5.0 out of 5 stars the most interesting and intelligent book on china there is, 8 Mar 2000
By A Customer
I was looking a for a book that would tell me about china and also be fun and interesting. This book is really good at that - and written by someone who left university and went to work in china - this is really special because it's not one of those tedious 'foreigner in china' books - but a more intelligent and acute account of small town china. This book made me save up and go to china for my last holiday - and i loved it all!

A Bend In The Yellow River
A Bend In The Yellow River by Justin Hill (Paperback - 1 Mar 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01