5.0 out of 5 stars We'll Eat Again
Published on 12 Jun 2002 by Pysgodyn

1.0 out of 5 stars I did not get it
Waited for two weeks past the del time

Is the Mails fault? the say it has been del at 1154 but I was in??
Published 7 months ago by Dodgy Badger

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars We'll Eat Again, 12 Jun 2002
This cookbook is one of the best I have. It covers many aspects of nutrition that are as relevent today as they were during W.W.II. The idea of having to "make do" on a small amount of food each week, whilst still providing good nutritious food must have been a challenge. This book not only shows how this was done, but is also helpfull today, as it is generally recognised that people were healthier during the war years. Although I wasn't alive at the time, I find the recipies and the pictures of life duriing the war very informative. The recipies are easy to understand and can be used by both adults and children. These recipies are a good example of how "just because a thing is old (approx age of recipies 55 years) there is still a place in todays kitchens for the sensible eating of yesterday."

4.0 out of 5 stars Wartime remembered, 2 Dec 2004
SheilaG (Norfolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book brought back many memories of the food we had to eat during WW2. We didnt have a lot of choice, I cant even think how my Mother kept us fed without going hungry, but she did. Many of the recipes I remember eating. This book is a Christmas present for my son (aged 43) just to let him know how we ate in those days. I hope he tries a few.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for both history and cookery: good for vegetarians, too!, 2 Mar 2009
An excellent book from both a historical and culinary perspective. I wasn't born at the time, but I still found it great.

The imaginative use of limited ingredients is particularly interesting, though a few of the recipes are a bit surreal: I managed to resist "mock bananas" made of baked parsnip with banana essence.

As a vegetarian, I found this book particularly useful. Many of the recipes have little or no meat, and require only slight modification to produce a completely vegetarian or even vegan dish.

4.0 out of 5 stars good value for money, 20 Feb 2002
By A Customer
An excellent record of nutrition during the war years. I remember my mother using many of these recipes to stretch out the very limited rations we received.Dried eggs were our pet hate.They were really dreadful.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite cookbook, 22 Mar 2004
Lindsay Seagrim-trinder "Bookworm" (South Wales) - See all my reviews
I bought this book about 20 years ago and use it often, as it is the only cookbook that really inspires me! In these days of Junk Food and microwave meals it is a joy to do "proper" cooking and I reckon this should be required reading for all schoolchildren. If they could be made to realise the dangers that our fishermen and merchant seamen went through to supply our country with food and provisions during the war they'd never, ever say "I don't like that........"

5.0 out of 5 stars What's for tea Mum?, 22 Jan 2009
L. M. Briggs "Naffi Break" (Noffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WE'LL EAT AGAIN. (Paperback)
This will be the second copy of this book that I have purchased.It bings back so many memories of Mum cooking on the old black cooking range and doing her best with what rations we had. She was indeed a master of all trades what with the make do and mending of everything. The many meals that are featured within these pages will certainly be an eye opener for many of the younger generation who until now have never had to live on so little. With the current financial climate,they may well get their chance. A wonderful book and very recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delia Smith without the difficult ingredients..., 16 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: WE'LL EAT AGAIN. (Paperback)
If you want real English cuisine (cheap, filling & tasty - think fish & chips) then this book is for you. All the recipes are very easy to follow and you will enjoy the savings compared to following the cookery crowd. Some of these recipes are of historical value - buy this today!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference book., 21 May 2014
This review is from: We'll Eat Again: A Collection of Recipes from the War Years (Paperback)
Very useful for lessons with small children about WW2 - so in the news this year. We used the teatime fancies recipes with year 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, 13 April 2014
Rosemary Wilson (Ireland) - See all my reviews
In doing some research on family history, I thought it would be an idea to find some recipes for food I remembered having as a child during the war. The book gave me exactly the information I was looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 23 Feb 2014
P. Richardson - See all my reviews
Got this as well as the post war kitchen and it's a good companion. The recipes are perhaps not totally in tune with modern palate but could be adapted reasonably easily. I was interested in the health aspects of the war time diet and this is a reasonable guide.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

We'll Eat Again: A Collection of Recipes from the War Years
We'll Eat Again: A Collection of Recipes from the War Years by Marguerite Patten (Paperback - 26 April 2012)
7.99