Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle  Learn more Countdown to Prime Day Shop now Shop now

on 25 August 2009
Watched the first episode of this series last night and quite enjoyed it, I have also had this book for a good two weeks and put it to the test (or taste?) at least 5-6 times so far.
All the recipes are explained very clearly, the pictures just make your mouth water and the results are fab and seriously tasty.
I haven't used Scotchbonnet peppers yet as they are fierce but regular hot peppers are fine and can obviously be adjusted to taste to enjoy all the other flavours, and there are plenty... (This to answer any criticism that Scotchbonnets are hard to find or the food too spicy).
My children spent last summer with their Jamaican grandparents and they were literally jumping up and down when looking at the lovely pictures, memories, memories...They bookmarked most of the fish and chicken recipes, so I do not have to look too far for inspiration these days...
In short, just love this book and its tasty offerings.
Thanks Levi for bringing the sunshine in !
55 comments|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2010
This book does what it says 'made easy'. Being from a carribean background, I tend not to buy carribean recipe books as I know all the recipies already, but this book has some ones that I have not come accross and it also contains recipes that we all know but with an interesting twist. Well illustrated and easy directions- I cannot wait to do the lamb shank with grenadine. hmmmmm

Well done Levi Roots!!!
on 12 October 2009
I purchased this book as I was very interested in Levi Roots' recent television show. I fully expected not to be able to cook all of the recipes or perhaps not even tobe able to resource all of the ingredients. I was wrong! The book is wonderfully easy to read, has easy to follow recipes and details stockists of the more obscure products but luckily there are not many. levi gives guidance on how to make your own spice mixes and stocks where appropriate. Overall the ingredients are on the shelves in every high street supermarket. The recipes are delicious right down to the prawn pasta which tastes wonderfully fresh and authentic despite being a fairly simple recipe. This book is an absolute winner and I am going to cook everything in it!
on 22 September 2009
If you're not sure who Levi Roots is, he's the dread-locked singer who slayed the Dragons of the Dragons' Den with his Reggae Reggae Sauce a couple of years back.

I like to buy cook books, but I'm a 'sit and eat a crunchie whilst looking at the pictures' sort of cook and although the images looked appetising, I thought the book would just join the others in the cupboard.

Wrong!

The first thing that I made were the pecan and pumpkinseed muffins - and they were delicious. I didn't have pecans, but I substituted broken walnuts and they were delightful. I made them with two small boys who pretty much wolfed them down before they had even cooled!

The second dish was the honey, grenadine and ginger roasted lamb with pomegranate and mint salad. It was absolutely divine! In fact, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

What I liked about it is that SO FAR just about everything is available to me in some form or another (dried/tinned). I live on a small Scottish island and I can't honestly say that about several of my other cookery books.

Why have I not given the book 5 stars? Well, I would have given it 4.5* if I could have. And my only criticism is the HEAT!!!!! Scotch Bonnets are absolutely fearsome, heatwise - only a well-seasoned (pun!) chili fan will be able to take the full heat of some of the unaltered recipes ;-)

However, you don't need to use the Scotch Bonnets - use something larger and milder. It might take one wrong meal to find out what's to your taste - but after that, Levi Roots' book will add a whole new chapter to your cooking.

Mr Roots isn't a fancy chef, he's a cook - and a rather good one ;-)
on 4 September 2009
Just received my book and last night tried the Martinique Chicken Curry.

I have always been at a bit of a loss in the kitchen department but to be honest the recipes are so easy you would have to be a total idiot for it to be a disaster.

Suffice to say, it was a success. Some friends called over just before dinner and they had a little taste....normally there would be lots of mickey taking where my cooking is involved but the comments were...' Oh my god that's delicious'...'HHHmmmmmm...thats gorgeous'....and yes, its a first for me.

I think I've found a style of cooking that agrees with me....
Buy the book
on 11 August 2009
I am so glad I bought this book. I love Carribean food but have never tried cooking it at home. The receipes are explained very clearly with origins behind some of the reciepes. Very colourful book, highly recommended. I can't wait to get started on the dishes, especially my fave - Curried goat.
on 15 September 2009
....as is the puerto rican chicken and rice, the rundown and pepperpot. All these recipes have worked well but the lamb has been my personal favourite, as the flavours were amazing. I also loved the pictures and the TV programme. What a shame the BBC did not commission more than 4 episodes.
on 16 September 2009
He first book was excellent, bought some much back. Mostly Flavour. This book does it again, making cooking easy for those who miss our wonderful mums home cooking......from Kingston....Yeah Man !!
on 26 October 2013
I love this book
I have never ever made caribbean food
Saw one of the excerts on tv and thought Oooo that looks lovely must have a good, so bought the book and made the Lime, Mint and GInger sorbet,, I cook indian food all the time, but get stuck with their desserts a little to sweet for me, so when I saw this desert on tv thought that will be brilliant and it is, I have made it for several meals with friends now and everyone has loved it..even with a tablespoon of coconut rum over the top !
Made Curry Goat last week and friends loved that to and asked, Why have you never made caribbean food before? I said Never had a Levi Roots book before.. I like the explanation of caribbean food at the start of the book
Yes a book for any one, easy to follow, lovely photos, One that is on my table all the time
on 27 September 2009
Recieved this book about a week ago. To date I have only tried one recipe. (Vegetable Patties)
Even though I cheated and bought ready made pastry, they have turned out fantastic.

Next time I will not be so lazy, and make the Pastry recipe from the book, so I could get the true authentic look and taste.

I was a bit concerned as I thought Bro. Levi had forgot to include "scotch Bonnet" in the filling. I need not have worried, the filling tastes sensational, and my vegetarian friends are impressed, as they no longer have to suffer my tasteless attempts at cooking anything vegetarian. I am delighted there are a number of veggie dishes for me to try, as i now have the courage.

The abscence of the hot pepper make this treat suitable for everyone, children and all. In fact for those who do not like "hot" flavours, either use half the amount stated, or leave it out altogether. the other seasonings ensure the food will be almost, or just as tasty.

There are quite a number of other recipies I look forward to trying from this book, as I seem able to taste the food just from reading the ingredients.

The Ital carrot and sweet potato soup is next on my list.

Just one small error I noticed (or I may be wrong). The Pattie Pastry recipie is on Page 138, not on page 140 as stated in the book.