4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting view of contemporary British cooking.
This is an excellent cookbook that I return to again and again. Take heed however that you may not find all of granny's old recipies. The result - in my opinion - is better. I particularly recommend the Stilton, Apple and Watercress soup - it's amazing!
Published on 25 Sep 2008 by Mr. Lee R. Bale

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for strange quantities!
Published on 6 Oct 2010 by FourCorners

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting view of contemporary British cooking., 25 Sep 2008
Mr. Lee R. Bale (UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for strange quantities!, 6 Oct 2010
This review is from: Britain: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I bought this book a while ago but decided this week to try out a few recipes from it. Last night I tried the cottage pie (which really should be called a Shepherd's Pie since it has lamb mince in it!). I was slightly alarmed at the 4 TBSP of flour that was added to the meat. I only added two, thinking it seemed strange. It turned out terribly even with only two, the sauce ended up very stodgy and un-edible. I had to wash half the mince and add more stock and some wine to recover it. I can't help but think this was a typing error. It was hard to tell what the correct dish would have tasted like. But it's not going to stop me trying out other recipes from this book, I love the sound of some of the dishes and ingredients. In the future though, I will listen to my own common-sense when I know something doesn't sound right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing, 31 Oct 2007
P. A. Jackson "bookworm200" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Britain: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Without a doubt the finest cookery book I've ever brought. Beautiful photos and amazing recipes so easy to navigate round, cannot recommend more highly. The recipes are an absolute delight and are seemingly effortless or rather extremely well explained by Mr Vickery.
A real find and makes a wonderful present, it's a hefty hardback even if you don't cook with it, just to have on your coffee table!

5.0 out of 5 stars good around book, 14 July 2013
G. J. Samuels (kent., united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Britain: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
good to see recipe's from all around Britain, that you would have eaten on holiday when staying in that area

5.0 out of 5 stars An unusual cookbook and great gift - geographically inspired recipes, 16 Mar 2011
K. Z. Sobol (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Britain: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
Rather than using the traditional allocation of recipes by course, this book first divides into geographical area of Britain and then some specially selected local ingredients. I think that this book would make a welcome addition to any cook's cookbook shelf as it includes some unusual ingredients. This is not a cookbook to buy for an all-round basic knowledge of British cookery like how to make the perfect Roast Beef and Yorkshire Puddings or Apple Pie, but rather some very British foods have inspired Phil Vickery to create (or occasionally recreate) some unusual, but delicious new recipes.

The book is split into 10 chapters relating to different parts of the country,
7.Cumbria and the North-West,
8.Yorkshire and the North-East,
9.Scotland and
10.Ireland.

Then within each of these geographical areas, Phil Vickery takes his inspirations from some local ingredients. For example, from "The West Country" there are 4 diverse recipes drawn from Cornish sardines, 3 inspired by Sheppy's cider farm (but the ingredients in the recipe are not specifically Sheppys!), 3 are based on smoked eel thanks to Brown & Forrest a family firm who smoke silver eels in Wiltshire, Hampshire and Dorset, 3 more fishy recipes based on his own personal experience of fishing for sea bass, there are 4 Clotted cream recipes ,as this is a very Cornish product, but with specific reference to A.E. Rodda's creamery (although a couple are using it to serve, rather than in the recipe, which is perhaps a bit of a cheat, although the recipes are delicious!) and the final inspiration in the area is blueberries grown by the Trehane family in Dorset give the chapter its final 5 delicious recipes. Each ingredient is treated to a full page with anecdotes and information and then each recipe in itself has a few more lines particular to that recipe, often with tips as to how to get the perfect result, some of which are supremely helpful.

The whole book is filled with beautifully shot photos of the ingredients, taken by Steve Lee, the recipes and the places they have come from, which makes this as much of a joy to the eye as the resulting recipes will be joy to the tum and certainly wouldn't look out of place as a coffee table book for browsing.

A lot of the recipes are a little too much for me to manage during the week - although there are some great ones like, Simple Smoked Salmon Kedgeree (in the Scotland section for Smoked Salmon - no surprise) and Beef Simmered in Beer with Flat Mushrooms (South-East - Beer) and the Caerphilly and Smoked Paprika dip, which are quite simple even for someone who is learning or has limited time for fiddly preparation.

Some of the more intriguing recipes in my eyes are Pheasant Curry (The Midlands - Game), Pigs' Trotters with five-spice and honey glaze (Cumbria and the North-West - Pork), Sweet and Sour Rhubarb with Slow Roast Duck legs (Yorkshire and the North-East - Rhubarb) and Watercress and Nettle Bread (The South - Watercress) and the simple sounding Boiled Crab with Mayonnaise (East Anglia - Crabs) (which calls for 2 live crabs!) I'd happily give them all a go (may not be brave enough for the live crab recipe, but I'll try another like Cromer Crab and Sweetcorn Ramekins with Melba Toasts!)

One little disappointment for me was the way the book seem to stop short. The final chapter on Ireland is only given one ingredient - Honey, with just 3 recipes, which as you can see compared to the first chapter seems rather sparse and I had been looking forward to finding out a bit more....

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a cookery book: a proper taste of Britain, 15 Mar 2011
M. DARBY "Michael Darby" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Britain: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
This was actually a present for my mother (I already have a copy). We're both big fans of cookery books and read them like novels. The book is unashamedly British in every way. It explores and promotes a much maligned area of cooking - British cuisine - and carefully elevates it to a well deserved higher plane. It does so with genuine affection and is supported by some quite wonderful, evocative photographs.

The book is worth buying for the images alone and its design, writing and production values are equally excellent. What I also like is the fact that the cover is very heavily laminated, making it practical to use in the kitchen without spoiling what is after all more than just another cookery book.

The text is structured around regions and what I particularly liked was the feature on the area in which I grew up - the North West and Cumbria - with beautiful images and narrative about Morecambe Bay, plus great interpretations of traditional recipes - many including the deservedly famous Morecambe Bay shrimp.

The book's other recipes are excellent too: my favourite (at the moment) being lager-steamed salmon with basil and lemon, but there's plenty more to whet the appetite and provide much highly enjoyable browsing for a long time to come. It certainly stands out among many of my already good books and this is one that I will re-visit (in more ways than one) time and time again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Traditional with a modern twist, 22 Jan 2011
Peasant (Deepest England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Britain: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
I borrowed this from a friend, and by the time I'd tagged all the recipes I wanted to copy out, I had such a sheaf of bookmarks I thought I'd better buy the book.

Vickery arranges it by geographical regions, then he does a "visit" to a traditional supplier, and follows it up with a handful of recipes using that ingredient. This format works very well and makes the book enjoyable to read. The essays on local suppliers are illustrated with a lot of very beautiful - and interesting - photos. It makes you want to visit the supplier, seek out similar people in your area, and use these traditional ingredients, which is exactly what the author intends.

The recipes themselves mostly have the real feel of traditional British cooking; although there are a few "fusion" dishes, most wouldn't look out of place in a historic cookbook. The instructions are clear and Vickery says he has tested all the recipes - but see "Foursome"'s review for a useful note about "Strange Quantities". Also, a lot of the most delicious dishes are heavy on traditional dairy products; if, as I am told, Vickery is the husband of Fern Britain, I'm not surprised she struggles with her waistline!

[ NOTE since I originally wrote this review, I went to make the first recipe I fancied - easy ciabatta. This contained another error; a reference to "cornmeal to thicken" (no quantity given) which made no sense in the recipe and wasn't referred to in the instructions. This was pretty worrying, as I now approach any recipe with doubt. For this reason I've downgraded my rating from 5 to 4 stars.]If you want a more in-depth treatment of the subject, try The Last Food of England

4.0 out of 5 stars not just a cook book, 16 Jan 2010
D. Little - See all my reviews
This review is from: Britain: The Cookbook (Hardcover)
interesting and different cook book, not just plain old recipeis, gives an insight to the raw produce and the part of the country it comes from.

Britain the Cookbook
Britain the Cookbook (Hardcover - 1 Jan 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01