on 4 April 2004
This book was a Christmas present. I have not stopped baking ever since! All the receipes I have tried have been a 100 percent result and the whole family love it. I am following all the receipes by hand, but I am also tempted to buy a bread machine to make life a bit easier. I can only recommend this book to anyone who fancies making their own bread.
on 13 September 2004
This is the best bread making book I have ever had. The book gives the methods for both the bread maker machine and the hand baking for each recipe. Unusually in a bread book - both methods work! I can particularly recommend the recipe for the Couronne which uses yogurt and gets as close as you can get to sour dough bread but without all the fuss of a starter. My husband's favourite is the Oat and Molasses bread and the Rye and Soured Cream is very tasty as well. I have even been inspired to produce croissants from this book. They were excellent as well!
11 comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2007
A really good selection of recipes, from the everyday to the really imaginative, there is no bread style I can think of that isn't covered by this fabulously illustrated and clearly set out book. If you have a breadmaker, buy it - you can't go wrong! If you're adventurous enough to make bread by hand, I'm sure you'll love it too.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 March 2010
An excellent bread making book, ideal for beginners and as suited to those using bread machines as to those making bread by hand. Each recipe comes with instructions for both hand making and bread machine use. Some recipes can be completely finished in a bread machine although I think it would be fair to say that the majority of bread machine recipes are made using the dough programme and then finished by hand. It is also worth noting that recipes are calibrated in grams/oz and in cup sizes and the book should therefore suit US bakers too. At the beginning of the book there is also a useful section which "translates" ingredients for US readers.

The first chapter provides recipes for everyday breads. The bread machine instructions for these are set out in three sizes so you won't need to work out quantities for different sized loaves. The next chapter, my favourite, covers rustic breads: for example, there is a mixed seed loaf, fabulous sage and parmesan flutes, rye bread, and ciabatta. Thereafter there are chapters covering flavoured breads (e.g. spiced potato & onion bread), sweet breads (banana & chocolate bread, chocolate & pecan spiral, malt loaf amongst others), flat breads (includes pizzas, grissini, pitta bread, focaccia & more). The final four chapters are Little Breads, Festive Breads, Yeast-free Breads & Gluten-free breads.

All in all, there is pretty much something for everyone. The instructions are clear, and for those recipes I have tried, the results have been excellent.
on 2 August 2008
An attractive book with lovely pictures and a variety of sweet and savoury breads. However I was hoping for a choice of good basic breads but there is only one for wholemeal bread and it's for a rapid light wholemeal loaf. i.e. lots of yeast and almost half white flour.
If you've already got good basic recipies and looking for different breads for a change then you'll probably like this book.
on 25 October 2009
This is a great book for beginners such as myself. But I am missing some very basic breads. Like where are the french stick and baguettes? And it does have a section where there are some breads from other cultures but this section is a bit meager I think. Having said that, each bread made so far has been a triumph!!
on 16 June 2008
I only started making bread a few weeks ago. I have got a breadmaker but I do a lot by hand as well and this book caters for both methods.
Another very good thing is the fact that you can choose how big a loaf you want to make (500g, 750g or 1kg) and the ingredient quantities are already adjusted for you!
An awesome book, a great investment and a fantastic incentive to get you into making bread - it definitely worked on me!
on 26 July 2010
An excellent book, an easy to read format and great pictures. I was going to buy a bread machine expecting to use recipes from The Bread Book but couldn't wait to get started. So I tried making the bread by hand, I found it so simple I'm not going to bother with the bread machine! I've made three different types of bread and each one has been a success, impressing myself and my friends. I can really recommend this book. It's good for first timers and as my confidence grows I'll try some of the more complicated loaves.
on 30 April 2009
Very good book lots of lovely ideas for different types of bread. I dont use a machine so I can only comment on making the bread by hand. I have passed some of the recipes to friends and they are all into making home bread.
on 12 January 2010
I can't fault this book. I had never made bread before and since buying it I've made lots. It takes you through all the basic of hand and machine bread (I've only used it for handmade) and has a great selection of recipes. Most recipes give different quantities depending on how big a loaf you want to make. I've since bought another bread book with more recipes, but I still go back to this one.

Basically, I really like and recommend this book.