‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great resource, 28 Jun. 2007
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Remember When: A Nostalgic Trip Through The Consumer Era (Hardcover)
I have this book in my classroom, as the period that we are covering in History is the period from 1948 to the present day. (I know; how can that be History when it includes our life time!)

The pictures and sections are beautifully grouped to the decades, and have resulted in many pleasant reminiscence sessions with colleagues. They have also intrigued the children and have sparked their interests.

A lovely book for all those of us who have lived through any of the eras included in the book - and it takes us from the Victorians right up to the 1990s, so that must be all of us (although I doubt if any of us have lived through all of them!)

You'll find yourself going through it and saying "Do you remember...?" or "Good grief! I had one of those!"

You will also find yourself engrossed by all the wonderful illustrations, newspaper clippings and photos.

A priceless and timeless book! (I'm buying one to give one of my class at prize giving!)

5.0 out of 5 stars The sights, smells, sounds and tastes of a century, 21 Oct. 2003
Peter Uys "Toypom" (Sandton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
The author takes us on a delightful trip through the consumer age with its roots in the Victorian era, when mass production first began. Since then, fashionable clothes, cosmetics, books, music and other good things have become available to the general public. The higher standard of living also went hand in hand with increased literacy and greater freedom for women.
This engaging book explores the 20th century decade by decade, looking at aspects of daily life like food, shopping, fashion, entertainment, travel, toys and games through the packaging material, advertising and products themselves. Important events like the World Wars, the coronations, the first man on the moon and the impact of radio and TV are also covered.
Opie's wonderful collection of original items includes comic books, records, newspapers, posters, magazines and various types of souvenir. These objects and images relive history as people remember it, bringing to life again the sights, smells, sounds and tastes of the 20th century.
The book contains an introduction under the headings The Robert Opie Collection, Understanding Our Past, Memories and Our Consumer Society. This is followed by separate chapters on The Victorians and The Edwardians. From there, the chapters follow the decades from The 1910's to The 1990's. The book concludes with an index.
Remember When will appeal to all readers with a fondness for the past, from historians to graphic designers, music, movie and art lovers to those just into nostalgia for the sake of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful nostalgia for everyone., 11 Sept. 2000
Mr. A. Rainbird "Tony" (Basingstoke, England.) - See all my reviews
This beautifully illustrated book takes the reader on a delightful journey from Victorian times right through to the nineties. The use of everyday objects,packaging and advertising brings each decade alive again. It has proved a very welcome gift for three of my relatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars True nostalgia and great value!, 19 July 2012
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I love this pictorial history book even though I've only lived through about half of the period it covers - it traces consumer history from the Victorian Era through to the 1990s. The book (which is around 200 pages long) comprises lavish illustrations interspersed with both social commentary and detail about the items depicted.

The book is divided into chapters by decade with the exception of the Victorian and Edwardian eras which have their own self contained sections. Each section of the book covers issues like popular culture, events, products, fashion, leisure, and for more recent decades, film, TV and music etc. As I have mentioned it achieves this pictorially but with some supporting text - to me the book is a bit like a museum on paper but it certainly isn't boring.

The book did two things for me - firstly, it showed how the origin of many of todays products go back much further than you'd expect. Secondly, the chapters from the 1950s onwards evoked a sense of nostalgia and recalled events and periods in my life I'd long forgotten.

In summary, this is a wonderful book which is beautifully produced by Robert Opie, the "Master of Nostalgia", and, sold by Amazon at a bargain price. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting trip through time, 4 Oct. 2013
I really love this book, its so interesting and nostalgic - three generations in my house have looked at it and "Remembered When" and that's what makes it so nice, you can pass the book around and it takes people straight back in time, it started off some really great conversations in my house as everyone reminisced and remembered things that they thought had forgotten!

Personally I can only remember the 1990's things and a few 1980's bits & pieces (being born in 1985) but I loved looking at all the era's before my time and seeing what products were around then, seeing what toys kids played with and what was popular in each decade.

The Robert Opie collection is utterly intriguing and I am so pleased he decided to do it, very clever of him indeed to even think of such a thing and it has left us all with a wonderful collection to browse and reminisce over - truly fascinating! A book for every history and nostalgia lover everywhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 8 Sept. 2013
skye "lark" (west midlands uk) - See all my reviews
Fascinating book, full of brilliant illustrations and fascinating snippets of information. A definite must for folk who love to remember things the way they were.

4.0 out of 5 stars Instant History., 22 Mar. 2013
The book is certainly a trip down memory lane for my wife and myself.

We have had may smiles and exchanged happy memories as we have looked through its pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... book for my mothering-law for her birthday - see loved it. She sat with our children telling stories ..., 6 July 2014
Bought this book for my mothering-law for her birthday - see loved it. She sat with our children telling stories about some of its content.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't but memories, 14 Jan. 2014
This large book is great to look through it takes you way back in time
As well as being a fantastic present for the people who have everything
Because memories are priceless and that is what this book contains
With regard to age, anyone who is old enough to remember the contents
Would love a trip down memory lane, alone or together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book to use in reminiscence sessions in a group setting, 11 Aug. 2013
This was purchased for use in a day centre for older people. It has proved to be a very useful tool

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Remember When: A Nostalgic Trip Through The Consumer Era
Remember When: A Nostalgic Trip Through The Consumer Era by Robert Opie (Hardcover - 29 April 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01