5.0 out of 5 stars Victory Cookbook
Published on 3 Nov 2009 by R. E. Almond

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic recipes - but terribly organised
I really love this book - it gives such a genuine taster of what it was like under rationing. The recipes are fantastic and still very relevant - who isn't trying to cut down on sugar and fat? One of my favourites is a pastry made with potatoes - very hearty and with heaps less fat in it than usual.

I would have given it five stars, but it lost two because of...
Published on 24 Aug 2010 by opinionrated

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Victory Cookbook, 3 Nov 2009
R. E. Almond (Kent, U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victory Cookbook: Nostalgic Food and Facts from 1940-1954 (Paperback)
I call this Book My Cooking Bible. Simple, Easy and Delicious Recipes you can make with simple ingredient's found in most everyday Kitchen cupboard's without the modern day pomp and ceremony used by Celebrity Chef's. I can just about make any Soup from scratch thanks to this book. It is not a 1 recipe per page book you will get about 6 per page and is well worth the money. It cover's preserving, Soups, Pickles, Making Do and much more. Highly Recommended and easy to follow. Enjoy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Victory Cookbook, 5 Jun 2009
I purchased this cookbook as the lady driving the jeep is my mum on V.E day. I found the book very interesting i show how little ingrediants they had to use through the time of rationing but made the most of it. And there are some interesting facts in it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic recipes - but terribly organised, 24 Aug 2010

I would have given it five stars, but it lost two because of the lack of organisation in it. There is no index or proper contents page, as the book is a compilation of a number of previous books prepared by the same author. This makes it really hard to find recipes - whether you know they're in there or not!

I bought this book as a present, then made the mistake of opening it up and couldn't put it down. I then had to buy another to replace it once I covered my copy in flour!

If you're interested in vintage cooking, life during the war or just cutting back on fats and sugars in a creative way, go for it. If you need recipes at your fingertips and have no interest in wading through pages trying to find what you're looking for, perhaps give it a miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent cook book, 29 Jan 2010
I purchased this cook book as my mum owned a copy.
The recipes are so easy and its good healthy home cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Victory Cooking, 10 Jan 2010
This is a very interesting book particularly for someone who remembers the second world war years or those immediately afterwards. The recipes brought back memories of meals cooked by my mother and ingredients like dried eggs for example. A nostalgic journey without the air raid sirens!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite perfect, 12 Mar 2011
Although I am Dutch and remember the war only vaguely, I still recognise a lot of the make-do ideas in this book and am filled with admiration for the inventiviness of the women who took care of the food. There are recipes in it I would like to try, but that brings me to the big problem I have: why are the pages not numbered and why is there no index. And why, when Mrs. Patten refers to a recipe she used before, does it still say: for this sauce see page 37, when there is no page 37 to be found? I really love this book but this makes it very difficult to use. What a pity!

4.0 out of 5 stars Three books in one, what a bargain!, 27 Oct 2013
nicolaluk (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Just to clarify in defence of this book, re the organisation, or rather lack of it in this book. This is not one book, but a collection of three books restructured into one, hence the lack of an index. What a bargain! Yes, an index would be nice, but I for one am really happy with the recipes and info provided and as someone else has said there are some great pictures.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit let down, 26 May 2010
I bought this because I wanted to try some of the recipes used around the time of WW2. I was disappointed. The most major problem is the total lack of an index. If you find a recipe you like it is not easy to find it again unless you put postit notes on relevant pages. I have tried two recipes so far. One worked fine, the Cheese and Haddock souffle but when I came to try the Irish Omelette there were no cooking temperatures just a recommendation to put it in a hot oven. It should have taken 15 minutes and it took 30. I will try more but feel that an index and more guidance would have made it a much better book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Down-To-Earth Cooking, 2 July 2014
R. Kerr (England) - See all my reviews
I cook for a living, have studied food related subjects all my life, and consequently own far too many cookbooks both old and new. In the current economic climate, whether you are a student/newly married/elderly/experienced this is a marvellous book. How to cook good food, with minimum waste or fuss. Nothing too fancy and time consuming. Just every day sensible recipies and tips. One complaint- and its a big one- there is no index! If, like me, you don't have a lot of time to rifle through to find a specific recipie this can be a bit of a pain. I've put a little notebook alongside, on the shelf, and have written the page number of my favourites in it. If a new edition comes out with an index I'd probably buy it and pass my copy on. I bought a copy for my mum who is in her eighties and she read it from cover to cover because it brought back so many memories for her, so a great gift too. I'm currently teaching a son and daughter to cook and this book is perfect for the basics.

5.0 out of 5 stars a wartime classic recipe book with current relevance., 16 May 2014
bought initially to understand more about rationing but now use many of the recipes today - they are healthy, filling and inexpensive. would really have liked an index at the back of the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Victory Cookbook: Nostalgic Food and Facts from 1940-1954
Victory Cookbook: Nostalgic Food and Facts from 1940-1954 by Marguerite Patten (Paperback - 1 May 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01