5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring reading
Published 5 months ago by Busybee

1.0 out of 5 stars A load of huff and puff!
The reason that Arianna has more time to relax and have more time to herself is because she can write a book this short and I paid good money to read it. For someone who is a writer and an accomplished woman, this should have been a fascinating and informative read. Sadly, it lacked in any real content and to call it thin is an understatement.
Published 1 month ago by Ms. Nancy Buckland

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring reading, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Happier Life (Hardcover)
Thought provoking and easy to read. Focuses back on traditional values of living a good and happy life, rather than getting burned out by the rat-race lifestyle many of us are getting tired of. Also a fair point that if we want to create a society where women play a role at top management level, we need to create a more sustainable business culture, where people are measured and promoted according to results and not facetime or 24/7 availability. This is the only way women will ever be able and willing to combine a high-responsibility management career with bringing up a family. We are dependent on both to ensure the economic wellbeing of future generations.

5.0 out of 5 stars HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READ, 1 April 2014
BLUE FISH (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
Its a very down to earth book and written from the heart. Challenges the writers lifestyle and how to define life, its about well being, wisdom and wonder, the need for us all to change happiness from feeling good and doing good and reconnecting ourselves. Nowadays we all get wake up calls which usually we would act on, but sometimes a book is written by a writer who shows how her struggles and challenges eventually catch up on her and she transforms herself by using meditation, giving, laughter , mindfulness and sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ, 13 May 2014
The author really has hit it on the head - she looks at what our society/life has become with all the modern trends and gadgets. The necessity of slowing it all down to appreciate what we have, when we have it. She has researched very well and included many pertinent modern day examples of what is being done wrong, what is being done right. Proof that less, is in fact more and healthier too. Just finished it and will read again, this time taking notes and sticking them on my computer / fridge / everywhere! Well done Arianna!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Read, 24 April 2014
Excellent, well written book by a highly successful woman who redefines the concept of success in our busy world. She draws on much of her personal experiences as well as using sound scientific evidence to back up her statements. Wonderful use of some very profound quotes. Liked the appendices section which provided very useful information on meditation apps and those to help limit daily distractions. Will certainly be a book I will read over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written book, better than most of this genre., 14 Sep 2014
Very good book, touched a nerve and makes you seriously think about redefining what is important in your life. There is nothing surprising in the book but that is what makes it such a good read. We all know about priorities we should make for our work life balance but most of us do not follow any kind of common sense. This book refocuses this and reminds us that we don't have to feel burned out or unhappy but that as we are in charge of our own lives we can do what is right for us and there are some tips in the books which you may not have tried. May even make some of us better people...you never know! Thanks Arianna, well written easy read, sorry I have lent it to some friends hope you don't mind that I didn't encourage them to buy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT THOUGHT PROVOKING BOOK, 26 Aug 2014
I have been suffering from spells of anxiety and panic attacks recently brought on by stress at work, which I have had before and I was give this book as a gift as I weighed up staying in my current job and how to make my life less challenging. I can honestly say it has just opened my eyes to a lot as it's so inspiring and has really made me try to think more about what's important. I have since bought it for 3 friends as gifts as I think there is a lot in here to digest and lots that offer you some food for thought. Absolutely loved it and am happy to have found it at a time when I had everything wrong in my life in terms of perspective. One I'll revisit for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars IS THE THIRD METRIC THE WAY FORWARD?, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Thrive (Paperback)
Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder by Arianna Huffington is a truly inspiring and refreshing book everyone should read. The deluge of books for reviews almost prevented me from having a look. I am glad I managed to squeeze in time to discover what this book is all about.

In the book, Huffington spells out how one can live a great and healthy life. Her insightful advice coupled with her wonderful writing style makes the book really enjoyable. Her sage and sane advice about getting enough sleep, meditations and shifting one's core values beyond the control of money and power is truly life-changing and thought-provoking. This, in essence, is "the third metric." It is an attempt to redefine success and create a vibrant life full of wisdom and wonder.

One important aspect of the book is its advice to unplug from technology and social media. In a world hooked to the social media such advice may seem ill-conceived but from Huffington's perspective it is badly needed. Though the book has its own shortcomings, I honestly believe that many readers will take some of the advice to heart and be inspired to redefine success, create a life of well-being, wisdom and wonder the Arianna Huffington-way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great daily companion for a fulfilling life, 3 Aug 2014
I recommend reading this book every day to remind ourselves about how wonderful it is to be living. Even when times are tough, Huffington reminds us that giving will increase our wellbeing. The simple act of opening our eyes each morning is a miracle and our job is to share our talents with the world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrive, 9 Jun 2014
The book I am reviewing is Thrive by Arianna Huffington which is a very good book which I bought on kindle. This book is semi-autobiographical and Arianna is famous for creating the Huffington Post which started out as a current affairs blog and she got lots of guest writer's to write posts often for a relatively small fee but the site became extremely and nowadays it is seen as quite an honor to write a post for them and can increase traffic to your blog quite considerably. Prior to writing this book she had been working all hours and getting little sleep mainly because they were trying to launch international versions of the Huffington Post in countries like Germany, Canada & South Korea. She subsequently had to do a talk for graduating students at a college which she takes very seriously on account of having children herself at college and it made her question if she was right to be working all hours and she subsequently sold the Huffington Post and has written this book about her attempts to get her life back on track and some of the techniques she used. She does talk about women traditionally have lived longer than men and with competition in the workplace and more in general being expected from women, this gap is narrowing all the time. You have to find a balance between work and what matters in your life and rest and relaxation. It's no accident the current epidemic of hyperactivity and ADHD among children and in general they get 1 hour less sleep every night and we put them under more and more pressure to be productive in their waking hours. This means they have less time to wind down before bedtime and they are less likely to get enough deep or REM sleep a major factor in ADHD. She does write about a lot of the things she finds has helped her relax and sleep, things like no caffeine after 2pm, keeping your bedroom cool and darker and in general pampering yourself a little so your subconscious knows you are preparing to go to bed. Another thing she mentions is the abuse of technology where people repeatedly check their e-mail and social media accounts and often don't have many proper friends because they spend so much time on sites like Facebook and Twitter with their followers. It is a really good book that I quite enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, huge amount of literature researched by her ..., 14 Sep 2014
Excellent book, huge amount of literature researched by her to write it. Loads of information in it, you feel like you are reading a few books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›