4.0 out of 5 stars Much to think about
Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook, has written a book about why she believes women need to be better represented in leadership positions in government and industry and the steps that they might take to improve their chances of doing so. While she draws on her own experiences - and those of her friends and colleagues - she also cites copious research (personalised for the...
Published 21 months ago by Julia Flyte

2.0 out of 5 stars Overly idealistic
The main positive of this text is that it is definitely inspirational. It should make both women and men take notice of what Sheryl argues. And for those women who are struggling with balancing career aspirations with family responsibilities, this inspiration is most probably welcome.

Overall, however, this book is overrated. Yes it is refreshing to read...
Published 17 months ago by Q. Ahmad

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars well worth reading - for women and for men, 21 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead (Hardcover)
Career advice for women from a very successful woman.

Key tips: 'sit at the table' (ie put yourself forward and don't hold yourself back - 'what would you do if you were not afraid?"); be aware of gender stereotyping and explain why you are going to negotiate before you do negotiate - but don't fail to negotiate (men negotiate naturally and it is expected of them); 'make your partner a real partner' (and, for example, don't go in for gatekeeper behaviour at home and ask him to step aside and let you do it when he's making a mess of things - let him do it himself and learn); generally in finding a job look at the growth potential of the company (as the author did with Google) and think what you can offer an employer that the employer actually wants/needs; and on living your life understand that time is a scarce resource and you can't have or do it all - the whole essence of the thing is trade-offs and decisions.

So, there's a lot of interest here; and the book gives every appearance of being well researched as well as full of personal material. The author tells us in the afterward that she has a co-writer; and that even so writing the book has taken out of the time she spends with her husband. This also has the ring of truth - but it does to some extent underscore the idea that the author is something of an exceptional human being.

I would recommend cross-checking her thinking against the recent book The XX Factor by Alison Wolf. That carefully explains that there are three life styles for women today - one fot the top 1%, another for the remainder of the top 20%, and a third for the other 80%. Sandberg is definitely part of the top 1% in that grouping. So perhaps her thinking is not entirely for everyone....

5.0 out of 5 stars For the anti-feminist, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead (Hardcover)
I read this because it came out when I was starting my MBA and I imagined I would be talking about it with my classmates. Was exactly what I expected it to be, a conversation piece. The book is a bit of a self-serving personal promotion for the author, but she makes some valid points-- like how to approach asking for a raise and a mentor. I would recommend it if you are reading from that angle. If you are looking for inspiration, though, I'm not sure you'll find it. She writes from the perspective of years of privilege.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellently written, and hits home., 1 Jan. 2015
I can't believe how much this book hit home. I tried very hard to be critical, particularly when she was generalising about male or female behaviour, but found myself nodding with most of the points she made. When she talks about her studies, and how she fretted over forgetting minor things to add to an exam paper, and her brother marched out of the same exam having done half the work and announced how he was going to get an A - no fretting, no fear - i actually laughed out loud. I spend too much time criticising myself for the small things, like many people out there. This book helps you understand what you can do to recognise and tackle the kind of self-doubt we torment ourselves with, but not in a heavy-handed way. She takes you on a journey to realisation through her own experiences. It's an excellent read.

This book was such an eye-opener for me. A lot of the behaviour she talks about is relevant to men too - i have been recommending this as a read to almost everyone i see. She writes in a friendly, concise, and easy-to-get-along-with style; it almost feels as though you could have written it yourself. Other than the fact that i'm not the COO of Facebook, but never mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the backlash would make you believe..., 16 July 2013
This review is from: Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead (Hardcover)
Having read some of the comments in the press about this book, I had expected to hate it, but I actually enjoyed it and could relate to a lot of Sheryl's comments. It is certainly thought-provoking and the company I work for have held a drinks evening to consider the themes within the book and discuss what they mean for us. For any woman who is looking to progress in her career, this is a very worthwhile read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, inspiring and well-written book, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead (Hardcover)
This is an excellent and inspiring book for all girls and boys, women as well as men. It guides the reader to rediscover our behaviors in the daily life and workplace, many of which we to come to a surprising realization only after she points out. The book also addresses many of the real difficulties facing women today, that we are trapped in a double standard where we are expected to be fully dedicated workers (which frequently means work overtime and show ourselves to be really out-of-the-way committed) and to be full-time perfect mommies. Since the energy of a person is limited, this goal is intrinsically impossible. Sheryl also points out how the societal norms, workplace flexibility, and even the welfare system especially regarding paternity leave further strengthen the obstacles. All being said, the book flows extremely well and is very easy to understand, although a significant amount of research had been done for it (which you can't tell since it's so vernacular). Great book for inspiration and self-motivation and challenges everyone to rethink the common daily life conventions we are accustomed to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Resonant, supportive and non-judgmental look at the real lives of women in career positions, 23 Sept. 2014
I'm not sure that anyone who reviewed this book in the Press read the same book as me! Sheryl Sandberg was pilloried for being unrealistic, elitist and unsympathetic. I found the book hugely resonant - I'm a senior leader in a huge organisation and I have definitely faced many of the hurdles she describes and the outright, but subtle, sexism. Her advice for younger women is insightful, supportive and non-judgmental. I do think that if you're looking for "a job" rather than "a career", and that truly is your genuine goal for your working life, this book may well not interest you a huge amount. But if you are pushing for a career - or realising that "job" isn't enough and you want to develop and move on through to a "career" - then it's an excellent and challenging read. I'd also recommend that men read it too: look for the mistakes that you and your partner may be making!

5.0 out of 5 stars The time is right!, 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead (Hardcover)
As the author of "Defending A King ~ His Life & Legacy" about the incomparable Michael Jackson, I sometimes feel like I've "come through the fire!" During my career, which has included a variety of jobs in education and psychology, I have dealt with controversy and conflict on a regular basis. When you "lean in," as this author explains in a compelling manner, it's not always pretty!
The time is right for a national discourse on the topics that Ms. Sandberg covers in this thought-provoking and inspirational book. Women can learn the behaviors that she encourages in order to advance their careers and maximize their contributions. I recommend this book to all ages of women... and to men, too. Even for those who have retired or are nearing the end of their professional career, the recommendations in this book can be used to mentor younger women, who can actively implement them. Everyone will benefit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 27 April 2014
There are things you could take issue with but I learned a lot from this book about how I hold myself back and I see others doing the same. Let's stop blaming the patriarchy and take control of ourselves! I hope to persuade my 15 year old daughter to read this and I wish I'd known then what I know now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 3 Jun. 2013
This book is very intelligently written and thoughtfully put together - it certainly made me stop and consider the bigger issue in life. I think everyone with ambition should read it - it's not just one for the girls! This woman is clever and has worked hard and here she shares advice on how to succeed

4.0 out of 5 stars Opened my eyes, 12 May 2013
Great book, really opened my eyes to the way we behave in the workplace. I recognized so many behaviors in myself and I would highly recommend it for men and women alike.

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg (Hardcover - 12 Mar. 2013)