5.0 out of 5 stars Bank of Dave
What a wonderful purchase. As a 15 year old, this book has taught me so much about the banking crisis and how to correctly run a business. Such a humble and normal man expressing the most brilliant views on banking. Worth 20 more than it actually is.
Published 21 months ago by J-Lo

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but it isn't the answer to banking's problems
An interesting and enjoyable book but which ultimately fails in showing a new way to approach banking.

Dave Fishwick seems to be an excellent businessman and a true entrepreneur. Reading how he built his business and lives his life is fascinating and exciting.

He does an excellent job of explaining fractional banking to the layman and makes some good...
Published 19 months ago by Marc Thatcher

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bank of Dave, 15 July 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Top read, Top bloke, 18 July 2012
J. Ball "J Mik" (Bristol. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bank of Dave: How I Took On the Banks (Paperback)
Bought this book on the back of the TV show and hearing the guy on a Radio 4 interview.

What a refreshing outlook on the normally very cynical world of business and banking. It's a shame that they're not more 'Daves' out there. Having left the world of Accountancy due to the very reason of money and not people orientation it is good to hear of success stories such as this.

Even not being a big reader the easy going nature of this book and lack of jargon kept me captivated enough to read it in less than three days!

Keep up the good work Dave!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, 28 Jun 2012
T. S. Ward "Large" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bank of Dave: How I Took On the Banks (Paperback)
You won't find any tales of conspiracy in this book: it is not of that level. It is one man's perception of what is wrong with the current state of affairs regarding the banking industry. To be honest, I should not really like the author because he belongs to one of my most hated groups - car salesmen - but, having said that, I have learnt more about the approach to making a living from his book than I have from much more erudite books by self-made millionaires and entrepreneurs: who, apparently, consciously attempted to 'spill the beans' of their successes. I believe that, generally, Dave tells it like it is - although no doubt he keeps his best secrets to himself. (Horrible man, smile.) I truly want Dave to succeed with his 'bank' ventures but judging by what is not in the book I wonder if he realises just how much ammunition will start flying his way from 'dark forces' once he has become big enough to be a thorn in the side of current groups who operate as a bank. Nepotism rules, Dave: just looking at today's newspaper headlines tells us that. Best wishes to you, Dave.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT ~ HIGHLY RECOMMEND, 26 July 2012
Carol 'avid little bookworm' (LEEDS, Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bank of Dave: How I Took On the Banks (Paperback)
Dave Fishwick has to be the most down to earth man you'll ever encounter and he's on a real mission to revolutionize the banking industry.

I purchased this book after watching the series and was absolutely blown away by his straight talking style. The book elaborates quite a lot on the brief stories which were featured in the two part series and I highly recommend it.

As well as this there is good business advice, Dave's own story of how he succeeded in his own businesses and humorous stories galore - real laugh out loud moments!

A lot of the things he talks of are really simple - but how often do we ignore the simple things just because they are so?

One of the passages is this - 'It was a eureka moment. Life-changing. Forget the cars. Vans were where it was at.' It brought to mind someone I once knew who acknowledged this at the time, he talked often about 'getting into van sales' but never did. Which brings me swiftly onto another one of Dave's quotes - 'Just talking about doing something is no good. You've got to put your words into action. Plans and dreams are nothing more than that if you don't do anything about achieving them.'

However, the best quote in this book for me, and one I've quoted oh sooo many times myself personally - 'Turnover is for vanity; profit is for sanity.'

This is a really good read for anyone but if you run, or are thinking of setting up your own business, you've just got to purchase this book!

If you read this review by any chance Dave Fishwick, yours has to be one of the most admirable ventures so far in the twenty first century. Good luck to you and all your customers.

4.0 out of 5 stars We need more Daves !, 11 July 2012
Robin Brownsell (Hove ,East Sussex,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bank of Dave: How I Took On the Banks (Paperback)
Dave is a real entrepreneur in his relentless pursuit of creating a local socially useful bank for his town. Many said it was an impossible dream, but in 180 days he proved them all wrong .

Our country needs more Daves. He is also a fantastic inspirational leader who backs his instinct like an old-fashioned bank manager would do- I cannot wait to follow his progress and wish him further success.

If he can do it in Burnley then there must be an opportunity for many other leaders around the country to follow his example.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave you are a legend and a hero for us!!, 12 Aug 2012
This book is amazing!!!

I bought myself a Kindle earlier this year thinking I'd take up reading more, unfortuantely I didn't however when I saw this book on kindle I knew I had to have it!!

Every word comes from a Man who is a true gent and a down to earth kinda guy! He know's what the real world's about and he know's what the real world need's. If only "Burnley savings and loans" could make it nationwide I'd swap my account's over in a instant! Not because of the rate's which he explains so clearly you'd have to lack a pulse to not be able to understand it, but because If I have to trust anyone with my money it would be him and his team.

I knew nothing about the banking system other than ridiculous charge's and constant No's when I need help. But David give's us that insider information that we all need in our life's. That knowledge that makes us realise just how much the bank's and financial institution's have really been playing with our money and our livelihood's. I'm a young entrepreneur myself, I don't earn billion's of pound's, all i want to do is have a few nice thing's and know my family is safe and secure and the occasional holiday. This book really helps you realise you can be and do whatever it is you want, but only if your honest and hard working. If your after a book that promises to get you rich quick then forget it and go find something else, If you want a idea of how it is to work and succeed then this is the book for you!!

I'd love to read more about David's life, ideally more about the motor trade as that's where my heart lie's.

If you ever read this David, Thankyou, thankyou for showing me and millions of other's that just because we werent born into money and we didn't do brilliant at school and go to some fancy university , were not all waster's and dead weight! We can all be polite, happy, honest and helpful human being's!!

I read this book in 2 day's, I just could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to take on the system and win., 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Bank of Dave: How I Took On the Banks (Paperback)
Written by a northerner,in language that every reader can understand.
My old school motto was 'there is no failure except in giving up.' After all those years that have passed this author has epitomised that motto to perfection.

This book will show any reader how to take on the big boys (not just in banking) and come out on top. With the help of a good honest wife to take advice from.

This book will certainly be on by book shelf for years to come.If you like to read about common sense with a never die attitude,then this is a book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: Bank of Dave: How I Took On the Banks (Paperback)
After watching the TV show, I just had to buy the book.
Dave comes across in the book exactly as he was on TV, you get what you see.
Great book, well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bank of Dave, 21 Aug 2012
This review is from: Bank of Dave: How I Took On the Banks (Paperback)
Saw the programme; bought the book. If there was an apple-cart that needed upsetting then it surely was (and continues to be) the banks and their ways. This man set about it and proved that the banks are exactly what the overwhelming majority of good people think of them... (fill this space in yourselves!)
Great book, great read and one can almost 'hear' Dave saying it all out loud. I have no doubt at all that the world needs more like him.
I have a Hero to look up to!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for everyone in Britain., 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Bank of Dave: How I Took On the Banks (Paperback)
Everybody in this country should know by now that the banking system is rotten to the core. The Investment bankers were to blame for the Global recession through their reckless folly and casino banking investment arms. Then there is the PPI miss selling scandal, the Libor rate fixing by one of the big four,and plenty of money laundering going on - in short they are all in my opinion a total disgrace. On top of this, and after a large proportion of them being refinanced by the tax payer - they continued to waste money on obscene multi-million pound bonuses. They have also closed many local community bank branches often showing a blatant disregard to their customers, leaving the elderly and handicapped having to try to get to a bank many miles away from their home town. They also continue to persist in ripping off their customers with high and unfair banking charges for unpaid items.It is time for change, and Dave has started that change and given all of us hope. The book tells how one man (Dave) bravely started his own local community bank, and provided local businesses with loans and paid investors 5% interest on their savings, and he even paid his profits to charities.Dave had to fight the FSA to keep his bank open, and his story is amazing and inspiring. We now need thousands of other entrepreneurs like Dave to start up small community banks so that vital lending to small businesses can be made, and we the people need to switch away from the traditional banks and support these initiatives.We also need to support our local businesses more, and to try harder to buy British goods wherever it is possible. We need Dave to start up community energy companies and community transport companies particularly rail so that their overcharging can be addressed and maybe even others could form community car insurance, and even run local community council services. This would all result in the average working person having more money left over in their pockets each month to be able to spend in their local shops and then maube more of them would survive also ! Dave has made a stand against this social injustice and now it is important that others follow his example. Unless this happens the corrupt, selfish and greedy will continue to destroy this country and very sadly it will never be great again. This book, and this man is amazing.

As I was reading this book,the banks were continuing to pay out multi million pound bonuses, whilst their lending was again falling and George Osborne was preparing to go to Europe to try to prevent the Swiss and European move to get these bonuses capped !!!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xbab55c48)

Bank of Dave: How I Took On the Banks
Bank of Dave: How I Took On the Banks by Dave Fishwick (Paperback - 10 May 2012)
9.09