5.0 out of 5 stars essential for understanding + combatting extremism
A must-read for anyone wanting to understand the rise of Islamist extremism, the soil from which violent jihadism can grow. A compelling memoir by an insider with the honesty to confess the calculating energy with which he spread Islamism ( partly inspired by Omar Bakri and even at one point legally supported by the now reviled Anjem Choudary), and the courage to turn...
Published 9 months ago by SF

3.0 out of 5 stars Suspicious reviews
Haven't actually read it but the bimodal distribution of comments seems odd, especially with 17 of the one star reviews being posted on three consecutive days. Author seems to talk sense on radio or TV (I forget which).
Published 5 months ago by S. Radcliffe

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Radical, 17 July 2012
This is one of the most eye opening books I have read.

I would encourage everyone to buy 'Radical', as it is one of those book that is relevant to anyone and everyone.

Maajid's journey is remarkable, and one that we can all learn something from.

I hope this title gets the recognition it so clearly deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book & Author, 8 July 2012
This is a an excellent and must read book! I would highly recommended purchasing this. Maajid is a well respected individual and this book is an eye opener.

1.0 out of 5 stars Biography of an egomaniac, 11 Feb. 2015
Thoroughly disappointed!! Don't bother.
It does not take much research to figure out that Maajids account of events in the book are deeply exaggerated. His 'gangland' stories of growing up in Southend reminded me more of Ali G; comical! His endless claims of grandeur throughout the book made cringe worthy reading.
On a serious note, I am flabbergasted that the organisation he founded with Ed Husain managed to effectively 'con' the taxpayer of over a million pounds. There isn't a shred of evidence that their conclusions, wildly propagated in this book, have had any effect on dealing with extremism.
Having read this book I have come to understand that if Maajid has illusions of becoming an MP then he is seriously deluded. 'Dreams from my Father' (Obama's pre-election biography) this isn't!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Jan. 2015
N.P.P (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Radical: My Journey from Islamist Extremism to a Democratic Awakening (Paperback)
Fabulous

1.0 out of 5 stars It's A Shame...., 14 Sept. 2012
It's a Shame about this book. It could have been the the 'missing link' to truly explaining how & why young Muslims in Britain turn to extremism, but instead what we got in the end felt like an over-exagerated, self-indulgent GSCE assignment!
Having known Maajid's family for over 30 years, I was very interested in reading this book, but I must say his version of Southend in the late 80s/early 90s differs greatly to mine - the 'radical' version of Southend being a hotbed for racists, where anyone with a suntan could be setupon by van loads of skinheads is very far from the truth. Yes there were some isolated issues, but in the main, asians, blacks, etc.. were able to walk about their usual business without bother.
I actually met Maajid's uncle in the mosque last week, and after speaking to him I have concluded the book is full of half-truths and hyperboles. His uncle confirmed that the sections at the begining chronicling the history of his family was completley wrong, and at least 70% (if not more) seemed to have just been made-up for entertainment/shock value. The uncle also echoed my view regarding life in Southend.
So rather than being a proper study into what creates an Islamist, what Maajid seems to have done is write a very poor attempt at appeasing 'Daily Mail' type readers.
Maybe the fact that the book was found in a 'Pound-Shop' speaks volumes!

4.0 out of 5 stars The ego has landed, 16 Sept. 2014
It is clear when you start reading this book that the content is split 50:50 between an interesting story about a young mans experience growing up in britain and being absorbed into an extremeist islamic organisation and the same young mans giant ego trip. While I enjoyed the book, there are other works of a similar nature where th author does not seek to portray himself as the solution to the Islamist Extremeism issue. Try The Islamist by Ed Husain first. He is also a founding member of the Quilliam Foundation, but does not seem to require quite so much ego massage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor written, lies poorly woven, truth is a casualty, this book is whack., 22 July 2012
Unfortunately this book is in the most part untrue. Like Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, the character are real (and sometimes not in this book) but the story is mainly fictitious. It's said to see such a narcissistic person write a book that is destined to be pulp or in the Ikea furniture store in the Domestic and Dining Section. This book is the fuel for those who hate Islam and Muslims and need a turncoat to do their bidding. Waste of what was once a good man.Ths book was a better account of what actually happened without the sensationalism: Mubarak's Mazra'a - My Time as a Political Prisoner in Egypt

2.0 out of 5 stars Irritating most of the way through. However I finally warmed to him at the end., 27 Sept. 2013
Well what a surprise. I had only reached page three of this book when I was already seriously irritated by the author. He was talking like he was a gangsta from the hood and it brought back memories of the 90s when so many male Asian friends used to do this. Not a good start.
Anyway I plodded on to find that quite frankly, I couldn't find anything likeable about him. I know it's his book but it just felt so 'me me me'. You know how some people seem to hype themselves up? For example if a plane crashed he'd be the one who'd have rescued all the passengers? That's how lot of this book felt to me. When he was talking about his rapping days I was waiting to read that he was the one that taught Eminem how to rap...
Suffice it to say I wasn't looking forward to reading the rest of the book but continue I did and I was looking forward to reading about his time in prison in Egypt. (I have already read Ian Nisbets book his fellow jail 'mate').
Again I was surprised to realise that despite Ians book being less emotional and more matter of fact, I gained more of an insight from his.
I also previously read 'The Islamist' and wanted to compare events in the books. Some of them don't seem to correspond but then again two peoples experiences aren't going to be the same. Strangely enough I didn't like that author either. (Perhaps the prerequisite to being an Islamists is to have a rather big head?).
Maybe I am being mean. Either way Basically he is saying 'racism (a few other circumstances) made me take the path of an islamist.' Now what irritates me about both this book and the Islamist is they both had white friends. Not only that but a (white) complete stranger took a beating and stabbing for him. Therefore instead of using racism as an excuse to go off your trolley and become an Islamist why not think about all good that the non racist people have done in your life!?!?
OK OK life's not that simple I get it. Everyone makes their own choices. Right or wrong.
So where was I. Oh yes, I didn't warm to him and in fact the way he left his wife by writing a note? He had enough balls to not give in to torture but not enough to tell his wife to her face? By this time I thought nothing's going to warm me to this guy. Then the strangest thing happened... I did! By the end of the book I actually thought "Hey, he's OK!" but I couldn't understand why?
After wracking my brains I think maybe I have the answer.
I am a Muslim. I have seen snippets of this guy on TV. I think I got the impression that maybe he was a bit of a sellout. From one extreme to the other.
Perhaps I didn't want to like him? I wasn't even sure if he was still a Muslim at all.
I was wrong. I think he's just like millions of other Muslims. Who DON'T ever become Islamists. He's just normal except that due to circumstances he now has a platform that the rest of us don't. He can help try to stop this false 'Islam' spreading. Try and right his wrongs. Good on him I say. Allahu Akbar. God IS great.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of money, 25 July 2012
Having waited a long time for a book that can expose Islamism from the inside, I am truly disappointed. The book reads like a teenagers diary to adulthood. I feel robbed!!! Illusions of grandeur have truly been commodified.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written and not proof read, 10 Sept. 2012
Read this after reading a great many things about the man in question. As a young Muslim born and raised in Bradford I was hoping to see the lid lifted on the side of things that I'd been shielded from.

How wrong I was!

The book just seems to feed what is Maajid's enormous ego. Stories that don't make sense as fact or as fiction, and I had to chuckle at the spelling mistakes/typos haha

A good attempt I'd say purely as a work of fiction. Surely someone who calls themselves a Muslim wouldn't abandon their wife and child for an affair with someone else than write about it in th sense that it was a good thing...

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 | Next ›