5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring
Its full of inspiring stories and detail, and I totally identify with his mission to create so much more than just business. Its helped me think in different ways about how my business can contribute fully to society and the urgent push towards cleaning up and creating sustainable world.

Also until I read Screw Business I hadn't realised that the Virgin Money...
Published on 29 Dec 2011 by chill

3.0 out of 5 stars we have heard it before
Unfortunatly this book is not as catchy as "business stripped bare" it feels more like something that accidently landed on the shelf.
Published 1 month ago by Christian Agersund

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 29 Dec 2011

Also until I read Screw Business I hadn't realised that the Virgin Money Giving site was around and also about two thirds less expensive than the competition, Richard Branson has long been an inspiration to me in business but this new book is just so in tune - I like the way he has turned Virgin's focus to the huge problems we face today. The elders, Virgin Unite, Virgin Green Fund, the carbon war room and the prize for finding a geo-engineering solution to finding a way of extracting carbon from the planet are all detailed in here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brings what we are doing and that we need to change, 16 Dec 2011
K. P. Rose "kprrefocus" (London soon to be Wellington NZ) - See all my reviews
Lets get past the fact the Sir Richard Branson is a very good promotional guy and that selling himself is one thing he does well in this book. I was torn between a 3* and 4* based on the amount of self promotion that goes on in this book. As you can see I plumped for the high rating.

Why! If you can get past the self PR, the message that the book puts over is very real. The message is clear and the concept that business needs to change for the better well put. We need to think less of what we do with profits we make or earn as employees and see that we can create a better society all round. Greed is endemic and rampant and our unfortunately titled 'political leaders' (which ever of the top three you are affiliated or have leanings towards) are more interested in the next vote instead of doing something about the way we live and do business. The same can be said for many business leaders and companies where there is the drive to maximise obscene profits.

But you can see shoots of the new movements for responsible business like Innocent Smoothies, John Lewis and the like. I bet you can come up with your own list. There is a ground swell for more responsible leaders who actually do something for society instead of playing lip service to the idea.

As Bob Dylon wrote 'You're going to have to serve someone, it may be the devil, It may be the Lord, but you're going to have to serve someone'.

Today there is ground swell to serve and support community. Its flegling and new but it is growing. There is a ground swell to serve our society or community.

This book illustrates issues and actions that are happening. If you can get past certain aspects that may grate with certain people. Not everyone likes Mr Branson. The Books pushes a message and Sir Richard knows how to push it loud and clear. That is not a reason to ignore the book. It about how you set your mind to approaching the concepts and ideas he is promoting. I think the mind set to the book depends on whether you can get past all the baggage that comes with Sir Richard Branson. If we wish people with ideas and actions to be perfect then leave this book. If you want and can open your mind and be critical and praising of the ideas and actions depicted in this book. Then give it a read. I liked it.

Maybe some people marked this down because in places the message it gives can be unsettling. It asks us to make changes to our lives. I disagree certain points in the book and agree many others. Have a read, make your own decisions. It is not a book that will offer crystal clear insite or new profound concepts that will rock your world, afterall we all know about the issues. Instead it says this is what we are doing, here are the problems - What are you going to do about changing yourself. That is why it may not get such good ratings because it asks you to challenge your own perceptions. Who do you want to serve - it can't be the existing inefficent business and political setup but you can help change the status quo for the better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doing good is good for business, 5 Mar 2012
Having Richard Branson's actively promote `doing good is good for business' can only be a good thing. Not only does he walk his talk now that he has multi millions at his disposal he adopted the same philosophy as a teenager when he set up the student magazine offering help lines and support to students. If every business took a leaf out of his book and adopted the same approach the world would be a better place in a short space of time. I didn't view the stories as self promotion I saw them as real life examples of how you can put `doing good is good for business' into practice, what could be better than to lead by example.
In my opinion this book isn't just for business owners it should be read by everyone on the planet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye-opener, 13 Feb 2012
This book gives great insight into what selfless things businesses and individuals are doing around the world to make a real change.
Until i read this book i never realised what efforts the virgin team make to approach things differently and offer help to those who need it most but are sometimes to proud to ask.

The Branson 'haters' (BA staff) may talk this book down and give it bad reviews as they don't like his style - but you cannot deny the points that he raises and how we all need to look at business from a new angle

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really interesting book, 6 Feb 2012
For anyone who believes that there is a different way of doing business than the 'short-term maximisation of profits', then this provides the foundation you've been looking for. It is the most 'real' of any books that have been written on the subject. Every economist and politician, not to mention any far-sighted business person should read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book from one of the world's greatest entrepreneurs, 16 Dec 2011
Is there anything Richard Branson can't do? Beyond being one of the most successful entrepreneurs of our age, he's also committed to changing the world, in fun and exciting ways. Screw Business as Usual presents a fabulous case for the need of entrepreneurs (and the rest of us!) to be more socially conscious and aware. An enjoyable and uplifting read!

3.0 out of 5 stars we have heard it before, 20 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 16 Aug 2013
U. Subramanian (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Screw Business as Usual (Paperback)
Richard Branson articulates a compelling world view that makes the case for a more authentic form of capitalism. A must read for anyone who thinks that there is more to life than cash and profit delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important business book in 2011-13, 26 May 2013
Jeppe Gustafsson (Aalborg University, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Screw Business as Usual (Paperback)
Richard Branson sends a message to leaders in the private and public sectors around the world. Join him in his attempt to explore new frontiers

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 29 Mar 2013
It's good to know that there are succesfull business people that are trying
to discuss new business models.
On the other hand what's the point to keep producing goods that nobody cant afford to buy.

ARRAY(0xa1306780)

Screw Business as Usual
Screw Business as Usual by Sir Richard Branson (Paperback - 4 April 2013)
6.29