5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration!
Published on 21 July 2009 by Geoffrey Barnes

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for taking action
Jim Lawson's continual reference to his achievements as a jockey and diver, although commendable, became tiresome after a while, I think if it had been covered in the introduction or first chapter then I could have lived with it . However the story of Jim's year adventure as a jockey and in full, might make a good book on its own followed; by a book concentrating purely...
Published on 17 April 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration!, 21 July 2009
If, like me, you're cycnical about books by so-called motivational speakers, then you might approach this book with some suspicion - I certainly did. Within one chapter, all such doubts are dispelled and this book really does make you focus on what you really can achieve. What is most appealing to me is its simplicity, bringing into focus what you really knew all along, but needing to be shown that you really can overcome those nagging doubts and believe in what you're doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 18 Mar 2009
The last self-help guide book I read was almost 20 years ago. I got sick and tired of the same old things being said in slightly different ways. So, I was a little apprehensive when asked to review Taming Tigers by Jim Lawless. Always up for a challenge, I accepted.

My apprehensions were soon dispelled as I was gripped by his story of becoming a jockey at the age of 30 as a result of a bet.

Lawless uses his experience of changing careers from an International Legal Counsel to an International Motivational Speaker, to illustrate what can be achieved by following his "10 Rules for Taming Tigers". It was at one of his early presentations to a group of salespeople that a member of the audience challenged him to a 1 bet that he could not use his rules to become a jockey within 12 months. Lawless' subsequent jockey experience is the storyline throughout the book to show how the 10 rules (for self development) can be applied.

As Lawless points out, these rules are not new. Nor did he invent them. But he has put them together in an eminently practical way and in a very entertaining book.

I liked the book. It was easy to read. The rules were easy to follow and there were plenty of practical examples and suggestions. Many chapters were followed by an invited story from someone who had applied one or more of the rules after attending one of Lawless' presentations.

The only small criticism I have is that at times some paragraphs were a bit wordy and repetitive. I occasionally found myself skipping ahead to get to the next bit of the "jockey story". As a visual person, I would have also liked to see some visual representations of the 10 rules. For me, it meant that I had to go back to check which rule was being referred to. Perhaps a fold out page with the rules illustrated would assist people like me.

Overall, I would highly recommend this book for two reasons. One, it's a good read. And secondly, the 10 rules are put in a very practical way that would make it easy for anyone to apply.

Bob Selden, author What To Do When You Become The Boss: How New Managers Become Successful Managers

5.0 out of 5 stars Are You Sure You Want To Risk Reading This Book?, 8 Aug 2010
I reckon I've read hundreds of PMA or Self-Improvement books over the years, and they were mostly very good; but this is the first one that really compelled me to make anything actually happen.

Since reading the original version in December 2008, and using the rules it outlines, I have done things I wouldn't have imagined, never mind dreamed of; worked in a world famous garden, changed jobs I hated but was stuck in, bought classic cars and motorcycles with money I didn't know I could have, employed my partner in work she loves doing when she was made redundant, raised funds for projects we both longed to try but didn't dare hope for, gone from wretchedly unfit to training with world renowned martial artists (World Champion and Olympic Medallists even), made firm friendships with authors and award winning writers, and am currently sending my own work to theatre directors and film makers with the intention of seeing it performed; to name just a few. I kid you not.

If you read Taming Tigers, and apply the principles, stuff starts to happen - your life will change. Strap yourself in, light the blue touch-paper, and get ready to ride. Thanks Jim.

PS The new version has done something remarkable - it has improved on an already wonderful book, with a wealth of new material, and tools, to enable anyone, who really wants, to begin to live the life of their dreams. Buy it as soon as you can.

Stu =

5.0 out of 5 stars To boldly go, 13 May 2010
Ms. J. E. Davis "Jane" (Surrey) - See all my reviews
Since this issue is the subject of much debate in Amazon forums, I will get this out of the way: yes, I know Jim Lawless. However, this is not the reason that I have given his book a five star review. Let me explain. Jim and I went out together for about 18 months longer towards the end of our teens. The whole thing ended badly, as these things usually do, but Jim did one very important thing for me - he took me to climb my first mountain (some might say 'made me'): Snowdon. I took one look at it and said, "there's no way that I'm going all of the way up there," at which point he laughed, as I recall. His only complaint was that my first mountain had been too easy (My complaints were many). If it hadn't such a beautiful day, or if it had been very difficult, I probably wouldn't have repeated the experience, but I have, many times, and it has been one of the greatest pleasures in life to stand on top of a mountain and realise that my problems are actually very small. I digress (apologies, I do this quite often). I had not seen Jim for over twenty years when, browsing through the 'recommended' section in my local Waterstones, I saw his name on the front cover of a book. I didn't have to look further than the centre pages to realise that yes, this was the very same Jim Lawless. After demanding to know why my own book was only filed under the 'D's' in fiction (Half-truths and White Lies, available from all good bookshops), the red-faced member of staff (Anthony) told me that Jim's book was actually very good. Not relishing the implication of this, I didn't buy it. However, through the magic of modern technology, I did decide to track down Jim and congratulate him (through the email equivalent of gritted teeth). The long and short of it was that we met up for lunch and found that, despite a gap of twenty years, neither of us have changed terribly much. (Jim now looks far more like his younger self than the pictures in his book. I haven't changed at all.)I admitted to him up front that I was a sceptic of self-help books. I had already changed my life. Rather than read a book, I had written one. (It has won an award and everything.)His reaction was to give me a copy of Taming Tigers. This did not necessarily enamour me to the book, as I then felt under an obligation to read it - and be nice about it. So I buried it at the back of a shelf where I didn't have to keep looking at it and feeling guilty. Until recently. In need of inspiration, I thought I would give it a go. And, darn it, if it wasn't quite compelling. And well-written (It is in the style of a talk, complete with anecdotes, so if you have seen Jim talk, I would imagine you will have the benefit of instant recall). I will say this: love it or hate it, you will find yourself inspired, you will find yourself challenged, if you have already changed your life you may find yourself agreeing,or arguing, or wondering how the devil he managed to put that bit quite so succinctly. And you will wake up thinking, 'What scary thing am I going to do before the day is out that will change my life?' (I can't make myself use the world 'boldly, because I'm then left with the image of Captain Kirk, who I, personally, don't find quite so inspiring.)My only criticism it that I didn't find constant reference to the rules by their numbers, rather than a reminder of what they actually are, very useful. But even this is clever. Jim is tryinging to make you memorise them. And if they find their way into your head, the chances are that you will not be able to ignore them. You will no option but to act. And there is every possibility that something good may happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just another inspirational book, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Taming Tigers: Do things you never thought you could (Paperback)
Jim Lawless has been there and done it. He's tested his principles in 2 major challenges. I've read tons of so called inspirational books but this one goes the extra mile (if not 1000 miles). Sometimes, I have read a good book and thought that I'd like to re-read it again a few years later. With this one, as soon as I finished it, I went right back to page 1 and started again as there was so much great stuff to take in. This book should be compulsory reading in every high school.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing I ever bought, 9 Jan 2014
Every time I feel doubt or negativity I read this book. The first time I read it I was just bored in work & picked it up to read, and am I thankful that I did. It's changed my life for the better and I tell everyone about this book.
I'd prompt anyone to read it, because for me, it was life changing.

5.0 out of 5 stars taming tigers, 30 Dec 2013
Great book an inspiration my husband really enjoyed it. Makes you think about your working environment and how you can respond to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 12 Dec 2013
friend asked me to get it for her and she thinks its amazing book well worth the money and a very good read

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and practical, 21 Nov 2013
I love those personal observations, failures and successes from Jim. After listening to his speech, I decided to try the book as well and I'm not disappointed.

One drawback is that there are too many advertisements in the book. I think it's ok to have advertisements there but there shouldn't be too many.

I also like the summary at the end of each chapter. It's really good for me to go back, to take note and to act on them because I think it's the purpose of all his works. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Providing your up for it, this book could change your life., 11 Oct 2013
I have read many books to do with changing the way you think, dealing with depression and how to deal with problems. This book is very honest and pragmatic and does not promise the world. It teaches you how to deal with your fears (those tigers) and how to get out of the mental rut that so many of us are in. This book explains that even if you do not achieve your dreams, by following its ten rules, you will have moved on and will be able to deal with life in a much more positive and effective way. I feel as if a 'cranial cataract' has been removed from my brain. I thoroughly recommend it.

Taming Tigers: Do things you never thought you could
Taming Tigers: Do things you never thought you could by Jim Lawless (Paperback - 9 Feb 2012)
8.39