4.0 out of 5 stars A must for fans of Hollywood's golden age!
I was never the biggest Tony Curtis fan, but this is a fun and interesting read for fans of the Hollywood golden age. Curtis was a smooth character back in the day and a big time movie star. His life intersects with many of the biggest and brightest stars of the time including lovers such as Marilyn Monroe. A lot of the book does come off as "look at me, look who I...
Published on 28 Oct 2008 by Bill Pullman

3.0 out of 5 stars From Pauper to Prince
As you would expect Curtis's own account of his life is both fascinating and revealing as he takes us on a journey from his poor childhood days through to becoming a Hollywood star and beyond. His various accounts of time working on movies as well as several romances he embarked on are exactly what you expect and also want. But there is also a sense of Curtis's ego at...
Published on 12 May 2010 by The Movie Scene

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite Royalty, 11 Jan 2011
M. J. Saxton (Dewsbury, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: American Prince: My Autobiography (Paperback)
This book is like a long chat show interview. Tony Curtis speaks openly about his life, his view of it. Al the right ingredients are here: childhood and upbringing, navy career, early films, marriage(s) and stardom on to the final years of painting.

There is no shortage of star names here and what he has to say is often very revealing. The stuff about Frank Sinatra certainly clarifies some of the rumours about his lifestyle and associates. The stories about Marilyn Monroe are telling as well.

Curtis as at his best when talking about events and situations: when he begins any kind of personal analysis you immediately see his shortcomings - he was not a perceptive person. Certainly his view of why his marriages failed is in marked contrast to the interpretation a reader might make from the narrative. He was a hard worker and a hard player.

Although he thought he could have made better and more films, the style of the book (if it is verbatim, as it seems) would suggest he didn't have the psychological depth or sensitivity to do more than he did.

On the flip side, it is great to read about the fun he had in the first half of his career, the films and the people he made them with. This is what you want from a Hollywood biography.

There is also some really sad stuff about his family. You have to feel for the man whose parents had so many problems emotionally, and both of whose brothers met such sad ends. It is no wonder that Tony Curtis comes across as emotionally cut-off. The consequences of this are seen in his relationship with his own children.

It is a bit self-indulgent and the reader gets rather fed up of his basically one-dimensional attitude to "beautiful women", but if makes a good read about an old star.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising!, 12 Oct 2014
Could not put down! Tony LIKED THE LADIES ALOT!!! I got tad annoyed having to search each name on the internet he was VERY PRO ACTIVE!! Very informative - just wish there were more photos

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it!, 10 July 2009
Ms. J. A. Gibbons (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Prince: My Autobiography (Paperback)
I was never Tony's fan but when I read it, some funny moments and some sad moments too, something I can relate to...I read it all in one go, enjoyable and entertaining about his life in Hollywood. soon after I went out and bought his two films, funnily enough I will never watch Tony's film the same way again, I now know who he slept with!! i will be counting!!! great photos and he really was gorgeous!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bernie's the Boy!, 11 Aug 2009
Alistair D. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Prince: My Autobiography (Paperback)
American Prince by Tony Curtis (born Bernie Schwarz) is a must read for anyone who grew up in the days of the golden age of Hollywood. He was a real star of his time and remains, even in his 80th decade, an opinionated and interesting character. Although I have not yet completed this book, I am finding it a fascinating read and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Sep 2014
Gems (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Prince: My Autobiography (Paperback)
Amazing autobiography from the handsome Tony Curtis. Shame he is no longer around.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing Read, 2 Oct 2009
S. A. Lovett "Books & Stuff" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Prince: My Autobiography (Paperback)
I have always been a fan of Tony Curtis and have enjoyed watching him in his various film and TV roles over the years. I was hugely disappointed though in this autobiography. I thought it was poorly written and Tony Curtis came across as a shallow, self-absorbed and self pitying man.

I was initially encouraged with the first few chapters which covered his early life and his difficult relationship with both parents, especially his mother. But as his story progressed it just became a litany of his sexual exploits and his ever growing anxieties about the next "movie role". I just felt there was no depth to his story - just titbits. Very disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Oct 2014
Really enjoyed. Great reading about his movie history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Dec 2014
Great story. Great storyteller

4.0 out of 5 stars A good gift for my father!, 21 Aug 2009
This review is from: American Prince: My Autobiography (Paperback)
I bought this book for my father and he said he enjoyed it very much. He said Tony Curtis was a bit of a character!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift, 2 Oct 2014
Very happy :)
A*

American Prince: My Autobiography
American Prince: My Autobiography by Tony Curtis (Paperback - 4 Jun 2009)