5.0 out of 5 stars Give this book a chance?
Published on 20 Dec. 2010 by xa milne

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality.
The biggest let down with this book is that it has the worst copy of any book I have ever read. The pictures are horrendous and there is no way you could pick any of the plants required from the quality of these pictures, they are like poor quality photocopies.

The writing style I hated. I don't know why it just annoyed me!

As a good point the...
Published on 15 Aug. 2010 by john1975

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality., 15 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Seaweed and Eat It: A Family Foraging and Cooking Adventure (Paperback)

The writing style I hated. I don't know why it just annoyed me!

As a good point the recipes shown are quite interesting and different. However the Richard Mabey book, food for free and the Roger Philips book, wild food are much better choices for this type of read.

2.0 out of 5 stars no thanks, 18 Mar. 2010
Mr. Peter W. Weston (birmingham , uk) - See all my reviews
I had this book delivered yesterday , and soon after i was trying to read it, now this is where everyone differs, the ideas and recipes are good but not great and most of the information is in every other hedgerow harvest book.so there realy is a poor choice to purchase.

But the thing that realy killed this book for me and i will NEVER EVER pick it up again to read, is the stupid font that half the book is printed in, the recipes are in one font, the main part of the book with the general information is
one to thin and hard to focus on, evan with my classes on

second and most deadly part is the rediculos idea that in the year of our lord 2010 some plonker thought it was still exceptable to have what can only be described as an upside dowm W through out the book as you start to read it you are faced with this barage of me instead of we and lom instead fo low, it made reading the book so hard that it will never be used again and promtly given to the local charity shop, an average book spoilt by a bad font

1.0 out of 5 stars Not in Colour as ForageRangers website indicates, 5 Oct. 2011
Found out about there book from there website and was interested, especially as it was advertised as "New Colour Edition". Clicked the link and took me to Amazon, where I purchased the book. It has now arrived and is in Black and White.
If you have came to this page via the ForageRangers website, then this book is not in colour!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Give this book a chance?, 20 Dec. 2010
I am one of the co-authors of Seaweed and Eat it. We are very proud of this book and have had a lot of positive feedback from readers. Due to economic necessity Virgin re-printed our book in black and white on inferior quality paper. Understandably there have been a lot of complaints about this, particularly as the publisher did not drop the price, despite the reduced quality of the book. We are not happy about this and have been concerned about all the poor reviews that have resulted. We are lobbying hard for it to be reinstated in colour, printed once again on decent paper. It IS a brilliant book and will once again be as good as it was. Please don't give up on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars picture quality, 23 Jan. 2012
seaweed and eat it cooking adventure paperback is so disapointing we wont be foraging for much as the black and white pictures in the book are so bad that you couldnt be sure what you had picked . if we had known the pics were so poor we would never have purchased this book A waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book, 29 Feb. 2008
A really nice little book, written from a child friendly angle but still bursting with hints, tips and recipes for using our local, seasonal fresh and free hedgerow & seashore pickings.
Would highly recommend reading if you have any interest in this area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saw weed - ate it!!, 29 April 2009
Sue Bryant "littley" (Pembury, Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I originally spotted this book whilst on holiday in Scotland and nearly passed it by - I'm glad I didn't! Being a keen would-be forager I flicked through the pages to find some innovative ways of using plants that most of us have growing in our gardens. I have so far made Stinging nettle and wild garlic soup, which I swear cut down my nasty cold within a couple of days. It was so tasty and nourishing! I have also made wild garlic pesto, which is lovely but very strong, so I would recommend it stirred into cooked pasta rather than eating it "raw!"

I have yet to try the nettle aloo or nettle gnocchi with blue cheese sauce recipe but they sound delicious.

The book helps to identify plants that you might never have believed you can eat - who would have known that the awful weed ground elder was brought over and used by the Romans, much like spinach! I won't be troubling to get rid if it in the future!

I liked the way this book was written from a "young mum" angle. I followed the book's recommendation to "use child labour" to pick 4 cupfuls of dandelion heads to make the dandelion blossom syrup, which is fantastic and loved by all.

In fact I enjoyed the book so much I have ordered copies for friends.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but amazon sells the black/white edition, 24 Mar. 2010
DIRK BERNARD "db" (Edinburgh, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great book if you want to know how to forage seaweed and all other stuff you pay a fortune at a supermarket and get it for free in your near vicinity. Unfortunately Amazon sells the black/white edition, so all the pics and illustrations are more or less useless. Get it somewhere else.

3.0 out of 5 stars not as expected, 19 Feb. 2011
This book wasn't quite what I expected.
It is a glimpse into a forager's life on what they picked and the recipes they cooked. The book is arranged by date/seasons which is handy for those new to foraging, but the paper and image quality is poor so it won't help you indentify anything and really lets the book down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 15 Nov. 2010
What a lovely book, apart from the weird typeface. Some have commented on the illustrations, I think they are too small but are beautiful and finely detailed, if you look closely, i do not think they are there to help identify but rather to enhance the text and pictures.

Seaweed and Eat It: A Family Foraging and Cooking Adventure