Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 October 2008
This is the best book to date on the sex-for-hire scene for foreigners in Thailand. With plentiful examples of canny bargirls and lovesick Westerners, and an amused, tolerant look at aspects of Thai culture that make this unique "Paradise Lust" possible, McCann beats the competition in that he can actually write: very wittily too, with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments.

One cavil: he uses as nouns 'teen' and 'teenage' for many of the girls he meets, which may provide ammunition for the puritanical/prurient brigade who think Thai sex-workers are all under-age and sex-tourists are all decrepit paedophiles. As anyone who's been to these agreeable fleshpots knows, nearly all the 'girls' are between 20 and 45, with the average falling roughly in the middle. The exceptions at either extreme tend to prove the rule. And for the record, the punters, too, are all ages; within hours you will spot sitting at a bar, being inordinately fussed over, a blond-haired, smooth-cheeked under-age one of those!
on 28 July 2009
It ain't easy to standout among the plethora of paperbacks about Thailand but Herr McCann has managed to do so magnificently.
Reading the first few chapters a tear welled in my eye for the Thailand I miss so much, but as the reader (that's you if you know what's good for you sunshine) moves along with his misshaps in Patong I laughed, saw faces I know and heard stories I was familiar with.
Buy it and enjoy it for what it is, like Thailand it's honest entertaining an unapologetic.
I've read it once, I'll read it again and if I loose this copy I'll buy another.

I salute you Herr McCann long may you prosper.

Cheers
on 30 June 2010
First lets get the negative comments out of the way.

This book could have been written by any half literary writer whoi has spent 6 months in Thailand and is interested in asking the bargirls about their lives as well as screwing them. There is no ongoing narrative as such - just a collection of musings and observations, some very accurate and a lot of generalistions about Thai females. In its worst aspect it is a collection of loose 'tales' about who I screwed and where.

Where the book does score is in some of its observations of Thai women, their interpretation of love, explanations of the many easy misunderstandings between Thais and Farangs and of the role and importance of money - and the inability of the many Thai working class females of peasant stock to monitor expenditure and budget when they have funds. There are a lot of generalisations - and to be fair to Kit a lot of them are true as well!

I have had a relationship with a Thai lady for almost six years - we have travelled travelled together throughout Thailand, Europe and South America and I know from personal experience that you can take the lady out of Thailand but you cannot take the Thai out of the lady. For the relationship to work there has to be give and take on both sides and I must admit I often fail to understand many of the differences between the cultures that this book highlights in an amusing way.Many times I nodded my head and said thatis exactly right - I can tell her Brussels ais the capital of Belgium and it means nothing but if a Thai confirms it then it is gospel!

Mr MCcann points with fun at those westeners who say 'Yes but my girl is different' and its true most may not be. But in the end guess what - he finds his girl who is 'different' and mine went from Pattaya to climbing over 18,000 ft passes in snow storms on the flanks of Everest and trekking for weeks on end through Nepal and Tibet with no qualms or complaints - so guess what again- some actually are different!

Read this book, laugh and learn but take it with a pinch of salt in parts - a good Thai lady is very very loyal if you treat her fairly. And to get a real feeling for Thailand read John Burdett and Timothy Hallinan's novels of contemporay Bangkok.

This book is informative in parts but in no sense is it gospel!
on 30 July 2009
best book on thailand ever !!! who wants to read about buddist temples and nice smelly flowers, this is what we lads go to thailand for and this book is funny well written and honest, brilliant mate cant wait to read your other book.. buy this now
on 19 March 2010
I never review books because I think the reader has to make up their own opinion, but this book was very disappointing so I had to tell people.

The book is too full of stories by the author that are not inteteresting and not important, its a kind of big ego trip for him and really poorly written, half the incidental stories fizzle out and don't have relevance to the main theme, or they are just put in to beef up the book...........

I found this book not at all exciting. The constant screwing becomes boring after a while, and I feel it seem more fiction i.e. "I whish I was doing that" than fact, in fact I doubt many of these stories, and they are too typical stories of pattaya and it just feels like this book could have been written just by hearing guys tell storied of there great Thai holiday back in the pub after a few pints...............

I have been to Thailand many many times and this book seems just like listening to a guy sat in a Farrangs Irish bar telling tales to the first timer in Pattaya of BKK..........

The book should be titled " Exagerated Thai stories to tell your mates in the pub when you are trying to impress them..... ".

If you want to read books about this side of Thailand I would recommend "Private dancer" which is fiction, but seems much more believable and based in fact than paradise lust, infact "Private dancer" is a great read, and I recommend reading it before going to Thailand if you are going to explore that side of Thailand's tourism.

Also you may want to check out Miss Bangkok, or Hello my big honey, both of which are far better than Paradise lust, factual and a lot more interesting...........

Do yourself a favour........................ don't buy this book, buy "Private dancer" instead or the other two books I mentioned.

This book is neither interesting nor worth the 1 penny I paid for it.
VINE VOICEon 4 May 2009
I found this book less than exciting. The constant screwing becomes boring after a while, and the "Jack the Lad" attitude is juvenile. It did not teach me anything about Thailand, sex or anything else.

It's OK as a lads' book for the unsophisticated.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse