4.0 out of 5 stars It worked for us, 6 Dec. 2007
E. Foster (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Virgin 2008 Alternative Guide to British Universities (Paperback)
When my daughter was applying for university we bought the Virgin Guide and friends bought other guides so we could all swap. I preferred this one although it doesn't give huge detail about individual courses. Where it seems to score is on giving an accurate flavour of how it will feel to be at a particular university for 3 or more years. My daughter is in her 2nd year now and re-reading what the Virgin Guide said about her university and the city, I think the portrayal of the whole experience is remarkably accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shoulda read this before applying, 10 Nov. 2007
Mr. A. J. Richards (Coventy, United Kingdown) - See all my reviews
This is by far the best guide to what it is like to actualy live at university and the practicalities of studying there which goes beyond league tables. It gives rankings of elements of a non academic nature such as the male female split and the national football/hockey/rugby rankings. It also rates the social life, and this is where I fell down. Because I ignored the advice of this book before I applied I am now at a university whose course is in the top 10 in the times however socially I hate it. I am now using this guide to help inform my decision on where to transfer to. I beg you to read this guide carefully and make a decision based on this and academic league tables, it will save your future and your life. Ive wasted 5 weeks at a university I now hate and as a result have missed the deadlines for one of the Oxbridge courses I wanted to re-appy for.

Generaly I dislike richard branson and most of his products (especially his trains) but this is one virgin brand product which is definately worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 30 Aug. 2014
ok info i needed

The Virgin 2008 Alternative Guide to British Universities
The Virgin 2008 Alternative Guide to British Universities by Piers Dudgeon (Paperback - 10 May 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01