Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 October 2003
finished this in an afternoon. it contains rollins' diaries from the lollapalooza tour and interviews he conducted with jerry lee lewis, roky erickson and others. funny and observant. he talks about jane's addiction, the trials of playing in front of indifferent audiences, and the frustration of having to get up extra-early so the shared tour bus could take members of nine inch nails into town to get face-paint.
would be good to ease into his writing as it's not as intense as black cofee blues. you might as well get another while you're at it though cause the short length will leave you wanting more, of which there is plenty my friend, oh yes.
on 28 May 2016
First off, I started my Henry Rollins journey by reading Black Coffee Blues 1, and was taken back by the poetry that dominated most of the book, as I was expecting a bio-type book; it was an enjoyable and different kind of book, but it was a hard read. So I was a little apprehensive going in to part two of the trilogy, so I decided to read The Dull by him instead; I enjoyed The Dull, but the floaw this time was it was quite long-winded in places, with too much being repeated.

Do I Come Here Often?, however, is by far the best effort I've read from him thus far. There's no fictional poetry, and the book contains various interviews, journal entries from Lollapalooza '91, and several interesting insights into his life. The book is extremely fast-paced and doesn't stick to one subject for long.

I'm looking forward to reading the last part of the trilogy now, and I fully recommended this.
on 22 August 2010
More expanded journal notes from the tortured caffeine ridden psyche of Mr Rollins.Entertaining but too short,the whole trilogy could have been published in one decent sized book.In this volume we get interviews with Jerry Lee Lewis,Issac Hays,tour notes and the philosophy of pumping iron.
on 8 June 2002
i bought this book to fly out to america, i just wanted something to keep me interested, and, did i find it! this book is an in depth look at rollins life on the road, its filled with his ups and downs whilst touring, and his outlook on life in general. his writing is very complexed and intense, even more so than i thought before reading it. this book has changed the way i look at things, and i garantee that if you read it, it will change you aswell, for the better. An excellent book, i recommend it to anyone, even if not a fan of his music.
on 12 April 2001
If you liked the first Black Coffee Blues & high adventures in the Great Outdoors, then this one will be right up your alley. Personally I didn't feel that this one was as good as the first Black coffee blues overall. But contains many notble parts of merit. Written in much the same style as most of his books, this just continues to expand upon his experiences & give you another look into the mind the man that never seems to rest.
on 31 March 2008
"I just get things done instead of talking about getting them done. I don't go out and party. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs and I'm not married, that leaves a lot of time for my work."

"I'm 38 and if I met a woman of my own age and married her, I'd also be marrying her former life, her past. It might be OK for some people - I don't want to judge it or anything - but it's not for me. It would destroy my creativity."

Henry Rollins doesn't drink, smoke or take drugs. He travels America with his (spoken word) show and writes books about his thoughts and travels. Here (Do i come here often?) each diary entry Rollins made for every birthday from 25-35 is reprinted. With most people of that age their lives change immeasurably in that time with the arrival of children or other serious responsibilities. Rollins remains largely the same.
His writing smacks of immaturity: "When i open my mouth, i waste my time"...and he refers to people as insects. His writing is evidence that his life is one endless plough of the same lonely,frustrated furrow.

"I think about the meaning of pain. Pain is personal. It really belongs to the one feeling it. Probably the only thing that is your own. I like mine."
This book reminds me of a website (of travel stories) I once discovered recently. It was full of poorly written stories penned by young back-packing ego-maniacs who have a misguided belief that what they write is great, and have laboured under the delusion that success at writing was at hand.
In conclusion, Shut up Rollins, take some prozac, buy yourself a pint of beer and enjoy a cigarette.
"Life will not break your heart. It'll crush it."

"Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.."

This poor book piles cliché upon cliché, and any claims its authors may make to its serving as a parable are undermined by the ludicrously compressed and melodramatic nature of Rollins odyssey. But be thankful it's not longer; at 130 pages, one may still derive some perverse pleasure from the silliness of it all.