4.0 out of 5 stars 13lbs in 2 weeks and still losing!
Published on 27 Aug 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Great DIET! Ricks other book- 'Living the GI diet' is better
Published on 20 May 2004 by Roadrunner

4.0 out of 5 stars 13lbs in 2 weeks and still losing!, 27 Aug 2003
By A Customer
I was very sceptical about trying yet 'another diet'. Over the years I have tried every diet under the sun and I was about to resign myself to the fact that I was meant to be fat forever, when I came across Rick Gallop's book. I read the book from cover to cover and felt very insipred by Rick's own weight loss and everything he said made sense. I craved refined foods, white bread, white rice, pasta, biscuits and cakes and I desperately needed these foods to survive throughout the day (or so I thought) so it was a great challenge to cut out these foods and I wondered what the heck I was going to live on.
Fortunately I memorised the green section of the book, which contains foods you can eat freely and I ate a couple of the amber options too. In 2 weeks I have lost 13lbs and I feel so much healthier already (and I haven't even exercised yet). I know its early days and I am eating a lot of the same things over and over again, but I find I am never hungry. I have 3 meals a day and fill up on snacks of fruit, muller light yoghurts, salad vegetables and when I really need chocolate I eat the dark 70% cocoa stuff and after eating 2 squares, it puts me off eating anymore, as its so bitter, but it does the trick and stops my chocolate craving.
I feel like a drug addict which has been weaned off refined foods. I also felt like this when I tried the Atkins diet at first, but after a week on that, I thought I was going to have a heart attack, as I constantly had heart burn from the rich fatty foods and I was bored because I couldn't snack on fruit and veg. (Just a note about Atkins - my friend lost 5 stone quickly on that diet but her kidney has now collaped as a result of too much protein and not enough water, so be careful with Atkins as the side effects are not fully known yet!)
Luckily the GI diet advocates eating low fat healthy food combined with restricting the carbs, so it seems a more sensible approach to dieting.
I would recommend giving this a go, even if you only do it for 2 weeks, you could be well on your way to losing a stone and I guarantee you will instantly feel healthier.
The only concerns I have is that I might get bored with eating the same things all the time, but I am looking forward to the GI recipe book being published in November, perhaps this will motivate me to carry on and give me some fresh ideas.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great DIET! Ricks other book- 'Living the GI diet' is better, 20 May 2004
Ricks way of presenting the GI diet is brilliant. easy to understand and easy to follow. I have tried many diets in my time, and this one is THE BEST. By far. The only diet I have followed where you don't feel hungry, and unlike diets (such as Atkins), you actually feel you are eating HEALTHILY! BUT... BEWARE!... Rick has 3 books out. And I've bought all of them. I was VERY disappointed (so much so that I'm writing this here review) that they are mostly repeats of the same information. My advice would be to buy 'Living the GI Diet' Only, as It's the most useful, with the 1st half of the book explaining the diet, and the remaining half being a collection of Extremely helpful and delicious recipes. DONT BUY ALL 3 BOOKS!!
Happy eating!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lose weight in an enjoyable way and feel healthier., 26 Feb 2003
C Pearson (Camberley, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchase this book just after Christmas 2002 when I made the same discovery as thousands do at this time of the year. I OVER INDULGED and it showed.I could not believe how much weight I had put on and resolved to do something about it this time. I happened to see a review of the book in a daily paper and decided to find a copy.
Putting to one side my thoughts on the price of paperbacks in general I liked the simple style of this book and most importantly the food choices advocated. I found the book very well written and easy to follow. The more I read, the more I was amazed and came to understand why I had previously found it difficult to control my weight and how relatively simple it should be to correct this now.
What followed was even more amazing. In five weeks losing one stone in weight and an inch and a quarter off my waist. I could not have wished for more, and am now almost at my target weight and feeling a lot better in myself. In the five weeks following this book I have never once felt hungry.
I would heartily recommend this book and am grateful to the author for its production.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, it's safe, it makes sense, 17 Jan 2007
J. Still "jonathan54" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gi Diet (Now Fully Updated): The Glycemic Index; The Easy, Healthy Way to Permanent Weight Loss (Paperback)
In about 6 months, I've lost 17Kg on this diet, and it's been very easy and effective, largely because you don't starve, in fact quite the opposite, you make sure that you don't feel hungry by eating the right kind of things regularly.

There's nothing faddish about the diet itself. Indeed, it's not really a diet, it's an approach to nutrition that makes sense even if you're not overweight, and is based on sound nutritional principles. Best of all, once you've read the book (which doesn't take long), you're equipped with some very simple principles on which to base the way you eat - prefer whole foods over processed ones, for example, and don't fill up on bread and potatoes.

Having said that, it's the science and enthusiasm for a healthy life that is Rick Gallop's strong point, not his cooking, and some of the recipes in this book are just too dull and unappealing for words. Read this book for the principles, and look for tasty ways of eating GI-friendly food elsewhere.

Admittedly, despite my joy at losing weight so effectively, after a couple of months or so, I had days when I got desperately bored with eating low-fat/no-fat foods like chicken breast. Furthermore, although the author, as many nutritionists, says that you shouldn't reduce your calorie intake by more than 500 calories a day (or lose more than 1-2lbs a week), if you follow the book to the letter, you could easily do this, and at one point I consciously broke a few rules to make sure I didn't pile it all back on later.

As Mark Corben says in his review, this book won't help you to negotiate the difficult things like birthdays, Christmas and the unexpected, and it's probably not suitable if you're going to do hard stints of exercise. The food does get a bit repetitive and dull at times, and it's quite labour intensive to get right - no quickly thrown-together sandwiches to fill a gap, for example.

But then changing your eating habits takes a while, and has its inevitable frustrations. I found what the author said to be true - that after a while, you find the occasional inevitable intake of hi-GI foods make you feel bloated, uncomfortable and unsatisfied. This was the right book at the right time for me, and the nutritional advice is excellent, whether you're dieting or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy, common sense eating style, 12 Jan 2006
I bought this book a few weeks ago, and I really think this diet will stick with people for a while. For most of us who've read a bit about nutrition and try to lead a healthy lifestyle, this book won't bring a whole lot of revolutionary ideas -- most of it has already been said. We usually know that whole grains are better than white flower, sugar and junk food is bad and fat should be eaten only in moderation.
What I really like and find different is his alternation of the traditional (USDA) food pyramid, which states that most of our daily servings should come from fruit and vegetables instead of grains and other carbs. He shows this more practically in his "plate" division (half of your plate for salad or veggies, a quarter for protein, and another quarter for carbs. It's the perfect, balanced food group ratio and it's easy to measure -- just look at your plate! No more "pasta only" dinners for me!
One thing I find somewhat worrisome is that Mr. Gallop is a bit too "sweetener-happy". He includes sugar substitutes in many of his recipes and assures us that sweeteners are absolutely safe, and that it's those evil sugar companies that have tried to give them a bad rep. Well, I'm not convinced. Not enough studies have been done on sucralose to be objective about its impact on our health, and the Internet swarms with warning and downright scary articles about the use of aspartame (not even speaking about saccharin). So, just to stay safe, I will keep reaching for plain yoghurt instead of Muller Lights and sweeten his chocolate cookies with beans with a bit of honey or brown sugar. In a book where everything else aims for the most natural foods, artificial sweeteners feel like a sore thumb to me. Also, I'm not thrilled about the idea of downing tons of skimmed milk, as he advocates.
Otherwise this is an excellent eating plan that you can share with your family as well without worrying about depriving them in any way.

5.0 out of 5 stars The GI Diet, 28 Jan 2005
By A Customer
A great book because the diet really works!! The background information on nutrition makes really good sense. The colour coding is really useful and it doesn't have lots of difficult to follow daily menus. You can choose what you want to eat from the 'green' list (green for Go!) and make up your own GI meals. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last - A Sensible way To Lose Weight, 20 Jan 2003
R. Green "princesspentium" (West London, England) - See all my reviews
Oh yes, I thought another diet book - and I must have the world's biggest collection! But what Rick Gallop says makes sense from the introduction, which refers to his own weight problems, to how he discovered the G I Index and how it works. Foods with a high GI rating, are quick to be digested and give your body little or no 'satisfaction', meaning that you will inevitably want to snack again later. Foods with a low GI rating, take longer to be processed by your digestive system, leaving you feeling full for longer and not inclined to snack.
This book is not full of scientific jargon - but sensible logical facts.He lists foods as red light - to avoid, yellow light - to have in moderation and green light - eat all you want.There is no food combining, no counting calories and no feeling hungry! And while there are foods which are off limits until you reach your goal weight, he does stress that we are all human; so lapses are inevitable. Recipes and an eating plan are included but there is an amazing amount of flexibilty.
This book is for people who want to lose weight, have a healthy heart and change their attitude to food. Rick Gallop has included a chapter on exercise and how to keep your weight loss in his Phase 2, after you have reached your goal weight. There is a weblink too, for added information and he is now working on a recipe book. An added inspiration are the acknowledgements from people who have been sucessful on the diet.Three meals a day and three snacks are advocated so I have started today with 28lbs to lose all I need now is the willpower!

4.0 out of 5 stars Less of Diet, More of a Lifestyle Change, 17 Jun 2005
The book is an excellent explanation of the principles behind eating in a GI-conscious way. It is perfect if you are already a reasonably healthy weight and wish to maintain/reduce slightly - up to a stone. Mostly it recommends lean meat and fish, whole grains, fruit and vegetables and very little fat or sugar - just like every other diet. However, it doesn't get 5 stars because it leaves rather too much wiggle-room for the dieter with a significant amount of weight to lose.
I bought this book 6 months ago but also enrolled with an on-line diet website which helps me to put the theory into practice on a daily basis. I also get support from other members, something you can't get from reading the book alone. However, this has been a winning combination and I have lost over 30lbs in weight already. All without feeling the hunger and deprivation normally associated with calorie-controlled diets.
So the 'GI Diet' is less of a short-term, quick-fix fad diet and more a healthy lifestyle change that anyone and everyone could adopt - young or old. The book is great but, for really good weight-loss results, it helps to team up with other dieters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a diet that works, 2 Jun 2005
You can always tell summer is nearing (or supposed to be) because of the huge increase in the amount of articles in magazines/books, promising to make you thin in time for summer. Sadly so many of us waste money on diet books that don't work, but I assure you that this book is an investment, one for your health, weight and confidence.
As Rick Gallop says at the start of this book, the reason why many people give up on their diets is because they feel deprived and hungry. On this diet, I can honestly say that this is not the case. Whilst to start with the prospect of giving up all of the red light foods isn't that nice, Rick puts forward a pretty impressive argument as to why you should. He explains in basic terms why our body needs proteins, carbohydrates and fats and how we often eat the wrong amounts/types of these foods and therefore put on weight. He then explains the idea behind this diet, that is, that we should eat foods that release their energy slowly (these have a low GI) to keep us feeling fuller for longer.
Whilst I'm only on day 2, I can see myself sticking to this diet because I don't feel hungry after eating the reccommended meals and I enjoy the food I can eat. As a teenager who loves her cakes and chocolate cookies, the prospect of giving all this up was a little bit off-putting. I have however discovered that the GI diet has delicious recipes for desserts and snacks. Also, as Rick says on his website ([...] - extra recipes available as well as new food listings, worth checking out before you buy the book) if you stray a little and occassionally eat red light foods that's fine, as long as you eat them in moderation. It's always nice to hear that in a diet!
You may be wondering why I only gave this book 4 stars as opposed to 5. The reason is that the recipe for chocolate drop cookies caused me, my best friend, a lovely lady and a cute boy in Tescos much confusion. We spent ages searching for white kidney beans which we soon discovered where nowhere to be found. When I retured home I looked in my mum's Bean Book to find that they're also known as cannellini beans! If only we'd known that before...
As well as helping you lose weight, the GI diet also decreases your chances of developing many serious illnesses. It's easy to follow so why not try it?

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not a diet as such - it's an understanding of food, 24 April 2007
E. Drake "Bookworm" (Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
Yes, I have tried every diet under the sun, I've always struggled to lose weight, and I have a very healthy diet, even diet pills couldn't help. I was sick of people assuming I must be stuffing my face with food and then lying about it.

Then my brother suggested I try this book, it worked for him and he lost a lot of weight... sceptically I thought, yes, another diet fad, it'll never work.

I started to read through, and I was amazed, it's the first diet I have ever had where someone explains why I should eat something, none of this oh it's a red day so I can eat this, and no calorie counting, just a simple explanation of the difference between foods. Just having that explained really helped motivate me. I have found I hardly have to refer to the book now, I know what I should and shouldn't eat, it's not hard once you take the time time read through. I still eat a very healthy diet, but with just a few small adjustments to my diet I have found the weight is shifting, and I won't struggle to keep it off because I can easily stick with it.

I wasn't expecting anything and so far I have lost just under a stone (still got a few more to go though!) and I am not struggling or feeling in the slightest bit hungry. I am so pleased and wish I had discovered this years ago.

Just give it a go, you will be surprised - I was!