5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good ideas
I bought the original 'GI diet' book by Rick Gallop at the same time as I bought this book, thinking that I would need to get up to speed with the principles of the GI diet before starting to follow some of the recipes. I have to say that the first half of 'Living the GI diet' is almost identical to the original book so I could have saved myself some time and money...
Published on 1 Jan. 2004 by Neil Currams

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, that this book was much like Rick's others
Published on 20 May 2004 by Roadrunner

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good ideas, 1 Jan. 2004
Neil Currams "monster2405" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living The Gi Diet: To Maintain Healthy, Permanent Weight Loss (Paperback)
That said, I must point out that 'Living the GI diet' is a welcome extension and continuation of the original book. The recipes and suggestions in this book are both tempting and more importantly practical, with nearly all of the ingredients being available in my local and rather basic supermarket.
I have enjoyed making the recipes from this book so far, and think I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
One of the most important aspects of the GI diet is that it is more than just a diet, it is a different approach to eating and I think this book will help me to continue along the right track for a while yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Im losing weight !, 22 April 2005
By A Customer
I bought this book having read the other reviews here and in the hope of shifting some unwanted weight. I am so amazed. I have been eating the quantity I fancy of the recipies in the book and I have not been hungry, not even once.....in fact I have probably eaten a little more than usual......I am losing 1-3lbs a week. I have lost a total of 8lbs in 4 weeks. The food is so nice. I have some advance preparation to do but the soups are great to make and freeze for work. All of my family eat with me as the food is lovely and my husband is positively raving about the meals.
I have not got a bad thing to say about low GI eating and this book has lovely recipies and gives all the background information to explain why we are becoming a nation of heavy people and how to halt the trend.
I recommend it to you.....even if you have tried every diet and did not get a good long term result, dont be put off.....this will work for you. Try it !

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, that this book was much like Rick's others, 20 May 2004
Already a BIG fan of Rick Gallop's way of presenting the Gi diet (extremely easy to follow - and the best Diet I've been on in years), I was deeply disappointed that half of this book was just a repeat of the main Gi Diet book. Worth the money for the recipes, but still... I did NOT want half of the book that Ilready have. My advice? - buy this book alone (purely for the recipe factor), and Dont bother with the other two, as they say much the same thing!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm not hungry anymore!, 18 Feb. 2005
By A Customer
I bought this book after reading the other reviews on here, without getting the first 'GI Diet' book which was meant to precede this one. All the info is in there, and I like doing a diet that tells me why the rules exist, rather than just expecting me to follow them blindly.
I had a low fat, varied and healthy diet before, but still struggled to lose weight, so this has been a revelation. I love that I don't feel hungry between meals, and I have more energy than before.
One caveat is that it is no good for people who live off ready meals, as these are more or less ruled out.
I recommend this to anyone fed up with the constant battle, and looking for a new non-faddy way to eat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eating low GI foods makes a lot of sense., 16 May 2006
I have never been a dieter having dismissed them all because they were based on one stupid fad after another and long term results are typically like a yo-yo with the weight loss/gain effect. I also like my food too much.

Approaching middle age, slowly developing a "bear belly" and "Man boobs" (attractive image that!) I wanted to try and adopt a healthier lifestyle and eating habits.

I had read that the GI diet (and also the GL variations) were broadly supported by the government healthy eating guidelines and most professionally qualified nutritionalists were praising it as the right way to change your eating habits. Encouraged by other reviews, I brought this book.

What did I learn from the book.

1) The link between Sugar/Insulin and Fat creation/energy storage and appetite.

2) What my BMI should be and how to caluclate my target weight.
(I wasn't classed as obese yet but I wasn't in the recommended range either)

3) Lots of encouraging letters from people who had tried this diet and been succesfull but had also had positive side effects on other medical problems.

4) Which foods are impacted by this and how to choose low Gi alternatives to some High Gi foods. A simple traffic light system was used to explein this concept. THIS IS THE KEY.

Since starting the healthy eating I have lost around 1 lb a week. Some weeks it was flat and others it was as much as 2 lb.

Now here is the good bit:

I didn't follow the recipies so I have no idea if they are any good. I didn't worry too much about portion sizes either.
I still have the ocassional cake or sweet without being silly about it. Realistically 50% of the book was wasted on me.

All I did was understand the GI content of what I was eating and chose accordingly. Two weeks ago I bought a new suit. I had to.

This damn book is going to cost me a fortune in new clothes but I don't mind so much as I don't expect to put the weight back on again like a yo-yo diet. I see no reason to change back to my old eating habits and I also feel generally healthier.

A truly life changing experience and one I definately recommend to the readers of this review. Good luck

4.0 out of 5 stars Best diet book I've ever read, 23 Mar. 2005
By A Customer
I chose this book because it had a not too detailed explanation of the principles behind the diet and some practical ideas in the back. These included reciepes, weekly diet plans and a trafic light system of rating foods. Red for bad, yellow for not too bad and green for good food.
It was excellent, it explained very clearly the principles behind the diet and gave plenty of pictorial easy to read charts. There wasn't too much information and you quickly know what foods are good and what are bad.
The recipes are excellent, even for me, someone who can't cook very well and is always in a rush, not to mention cooking three different meals. The only complaint would be I would like more recipes.
I have lost 4 pounds so far in only 3 weeks and that's with the occasional blip of mother's day chocolates etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, easy to follow and recipes!!!!!!, 21 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
I am new to this diet. I have read a few books on this subject and often feel lost for ideas and motivation. This book has a quick and easy explanation of how the diet works and theories behind it, even I can now explain to my husband why we are eating, what we are eating!!! I have found the 'red, yellow and green' tables extremely useful, at a glance I can see what I should/n't be eating. Having a sweet tooth I have always struggled with diets. This book has pages of recipes, in which many are sweets, which I find wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound and effective advice, 24 Oct. 2004
By A Customer
The science of this low GI approach is eminently sensible - far better than missing out major food groups like in the Atkins diet, and it should certainly be possible to continue with this approach long-term, unlike so many so-called "diets". It's working for me and I've never managed to stick to anything like this before.
It basically provides a list of unlimited foods, some with limited portion sizes, which is very comprehensive. Once you have lost your weight, there is an expanded list to use long-term. Just one suggestion - if you have a lot of weight to lose, make sure that you monitor how fast you are losing it - more than 1-2lbs per week is not sensible and you may need to start out with slightly larger portion sizes and reduce them as you lose the weight (also making it easier to follow!!).
Recipes in this book are good, easy and tasty. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life, 24 Jan. 2007
Mr. Terence Jones "terencej72" (Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I'm 34 years old 5' 7" and when i started following the advise in this book i weighed 16 stone and a waist of 41 inches. When i was 18 i was 10 stone 7 lbs, had a 28 waist and was toned and muscly. From 15 years of lack of exercise and poor food crisps, biscuits, carbonated soft drinks (soda, pop or ginger depending on where you live), curries etc my body was a mess.

I wheezed when walking up more than 4 flights of stairs.

In short i'm probably much the same as a lot of you reading this review. I knew about sensible eating but was too lazy/uneducated to implement it. I'd lost about 20 pounds on the Atkins diet previously but piled it back on because i couldn't stick to it's almost "meat only" ethos.

My main problem is i don't like cooking so the takeaway was an easy option. So the foods i CRAVED kept calling to me

I read this book and discovered a great secret - by purchasing the pre-made salad packets in supermarkets and canned fish (which i like) i could make a tasty nutricious meal in 5 minutes. Less time than you'd wait for your chinese to be cooked. I substitute the fish for chicken, turkey etc as the mood takes me and often have a small portion of meat with veg etc.

Where this book differs is showing you where we ALL go wrong in Britain - we have a plate made up half of meat a third with potatoes/pasta/rice and a token portion of veg. This ethos is half a plate of veg/salad a qtr of meat and a qtr of potatoes. THAT is the difference.

I've changed my eating habits because i am now EDUCATED about how much damage high GI foods cause. I now know why the old comment "why is it i'm hungry an hour after eating a chinese meal" is true.

In the past 4 months i have lost two and a half stone and 4 inches off my waist. My 38 inch jeans are falling off me and i fit comfortably into 36 inch jeans.

The other day i ate a chinese curry and couldn't finsih half of it - it was disgusting. The same can be said for chocolate and i don't even take a crisp if it's offered to me.

THAT IS THE KEY - on previous diets i've CRAVED the curries, biscuits, crisps and YOU have too. Now i don't even want to touch them.

Give it a try - the book is indepth but easy to follow with meal plans and ideas.

Change your life - i have because by the time i go on holiday in August i should be 11 stone with a 32 inch waist. Something i've been dreaming of for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooo easy to follow - even my hubby likes it!, 28 Nov. 2004
I considered buying this book for a long time before I actually bought it. It was then reviewed in a couple of magazines and it got really good ratings compared to other GI books, so that clinched it.
A rating here on Amazon said the best one to buy was Living the GI Diet because of the recipes and that it had all the info I needed.
It is a brilliant plan, recommended to anyone!

Living The Gi Diet: To Maintain Healthy, Permanent Weight Loss