4.0 out of 5 stars This is sensible eating :-)
Published on 5 Aug. 2004 by m-akm

1.0 out of 5 stars RUBBISH
PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK UNLESS YOU HAVE WON THE LOTTERY AS YOU NEED A BANK LOAN TO BUY ALL THE INGREDIENTS. I HAVE NOT HEARD OF HALF OF THE FOOD AND WOULD NOT KNOW WHERE TO BUY IT.SO SAVE YOUR MONEY EH?
Published on 16 Feb. 2004 by Ms. L. Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars This is sensible eating :-), 5 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Carol Vorderman's Summer Detox: The 14 Day Mini Detox (Paperback)
Very pleased with this book - the menu plans are actually delicious. The foods you eat are mostly vegetables, fruit, pulses and nuts; the almost unlimited volume you can consume means that you don't have unpleasant hunger pangs. I've been using an online food log called 'fitday' to record everything I've been eating (on day 8 now) and I can see that I'm pretty consistently eating 1200kCal a day on this plan and I am steadily dropping weight. I am pleased to report that I still have energy to exercise daily with this diet - I tried Atkins and, believe me, exercise was very difficult on that regime. One piece of criticism is that the book sort of leaves you in limbo after day 14 which is a great shame, the eating habits that I've started to form over the last week or so have meant an improvement in energy level, skin condition weight and general wellbeing. I've been searching around the Amazon site to try and make my mind up whether to buy another book from Carol Vorderman or her co-author on this publication, Anita Bean who is a nutritionist by profession.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carole Vordrman's 14 day summer detox, 31 July 2003
I have read this book and embarked on the detox programme. I have never dieted before and was curious after talking to friends and patients about this book (I am a GP). The diet seems to be well balanced with a lot of care taken on nutritional values. I was impressed by the nutritional information. The recipes were extremely simple to make and were delicious. This is a real bonus especially if you are a busy working mother like me. Giving up caffeine was very difficult and the headaches were bad. The alcohol was much easier. I have given up the glass of wine as you get home from work habit which I feel fantastic about. I feel calmer, happier and healthier. I did not do it to lose weight as I do not have a weight problem, but did it to get my habits back on a healthy track. I knew them in principle but never actually carried them out. This book literally takes you by the hand and shows you the way. The book gave me so many new ideas. My family has benefitted too, and even my husband became interested. I would recommend this book as it is based on good scientific principles and is safe and sensible, plus it works! Fantastic. cant wait for the new recipe book in the autumn!

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Miss Cyncial!, 11 May 2004
C. Robson (EC2, London, England) - See all my reviews
Right, firstly, I'm a 5'8" UK size 8/10 (size 4/6 USA I think), never been on a diet before, am quite happy with my physique (apart from the 'English' slight pot belly) and I drink coca-cola like it's going out of fashion! I don't know what possessed me to buy the summer detox book, but most likely the growing sense of panic knowing that in a months time I'll be parading my belly in a bikini on the beach!
There is a hefty introduction, which explains the basics of detoxing and gives a detailed summary of what you should be eating and why (to understand the why's and wherefores is always helpful). There is also a list of what to avoid. And rather than being all "holier-than-thou", it's commonsensical. Being a vegetarian, I was relieved and pleasantly surprised that the book omits meat and fish from its recipes, although you can add them if you want. The recipes (there’s about 50 of them) are quite diverse, but easy to make and there’s even some suggested mix and match menu’s for meal planning.
So, one shopping list and a trip to a health food shop later, I launched into the diet. Not being a fruit or salad fan, it was quite daunting (vegetarians don't all live on lettuce leaves y'know!) but daily I forced down fruit, and begrudgingly chucked a handful of salad onto my dinner plate.
To be honest, I found it hard going. A lot of the food in the book is the kind of thing I normally love to eat, but the psychological effect of "having" to eat it sort of put me off. It really did feel like effort. I missed my cups of tea, pasta and cheese, but did develop a liking for Quinoa (sort of a cross between pasta and couscous) and cranberry juice. I imagine for the more focussed and diet-minded this is probably a doddle - the food is great, minimum-effort cooking, fast results.
I gave up on Day 10, but (…here's the excuse…!) my best friend happened to be in London for the night, so we went out for dinner... I forgot about the diet so a good italian meal and a bottle of wine later, well… duh! It was only after dinner, my friend then proceeded to tell me how great I was looking - flat tummy, shiny hair, bright eyes... she said I looked healthier than I'd done in years! I suppose you don't actually notice the change, it's not a drastic transformation from Pat Butcher to Jordan. It's subtle.
It's two weeks later... The nutritional information has had a practical impact on my every day eating habits. I have fruit at snacktime, rather than crisps and biccys. I have unsalted nuts rather than salted. I allow myself one decent cup of tea a day, and drink herbal tea at other times. I avoid fizzy drinks.
I have decided that I am going to do this diet again and do it properly - no drinking, no smoking. If 10-day detox can make a 10-year tummy disappear it's got to be doing something right!
I would heartily recommend this book to anyone. Be it for the recipes, the nutritional information, or if only for the fact that if it can make a cellulite-free 30 yr old's tummy as flat as it was 10 years ago, if you're sat there with a bit more weight than you want think what it could do for you!...

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget dieting and detox, 27 Aug. 2003
This is without a doubt the best book that I have ever purchased. I have done literally every diet around with some results but with the usual eventual weight gain.
I did not find the two weeks hard to maintain but I don't smoke and do not have a caffeine habit. Also giving up refined foods for wholesome replacements was also not a chore.
I felt determined that I could stick to the menus for 14 days and I did, I felt a little bit tired initially but the fatigue seemed to dissipate as the days went on.
What an incredible bargain as I then lost 8 pounds in two weeks with everyone I know noticing and made comments.
I have continued with the priniciples but have introduced some treats here and there and have continued to steadily lose wait. I am now more confident, happier and the best of all Slimmer. All I can say is Thank you Carol, thank you very much

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolution, 26 Aug. 2004
By A Customer
Wish I'd done things in the right order and read this book BEFORE I went on holiday, and found myself looking like a Christmas pudding on the beach.
Fourteen days after changing my diet habits a la Ms Vorderman's book, I can get into my jeans again. My arms are thinner, I've lost flab on my back, and my skin is clear.
All the food is available from good supermarkets, and bog-standard health food shops. O.K; some recipes take a little while to prepare, but they're so easy, and the end result is delicious. Even my carnivorous husband and very picky son are enjoying sharing the meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent menus and very tasty food!, 30 Aug. 2006
I was pleasantly surprised by this book and thought it might be a bit fussy, like some other diet books can be.

Every single recipe we have tried so far have been a huge success, even with our kids and parents-in-law. The food is very tasty and not bland as you may sometimes expect when reading the recipes. Highly recommend this book and I will now be getting the 28 day book as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars 14 day detox, 10 Jan. 2008
there was a shopping list in the book which i thought great! easy peasy.so i went online to teco to but all the ingredients. unfortunatly the receipes included ingredients not on the list, so found myself having to go to the shop anyway. so take my tip and check all the receipes for the ingredient first. duh
other than that, i feel fantastic and recommend it to anyone who looking for a healthier lifestyle. thumbs up from me

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best diet I have been on, 6 Oct. 2014
This is the best diet I have been on. It's changed the way I eat ongoing. Felt fantastic on it, and not hungry. If you are doing it by yourself, do each day twice, otherwise you are going to be doing a lot of cooking prep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 May 2015
good condition

1.0 out of 5 stars RUBBISH, 16 Feb. 2004
Ms. L. Wilson "wilsonllyns" (Sunderland UK) - See all my reviews

Carol Vorderman's Summer Detox: The 14 Day Mini Detox
Carol Vorderman's Summer Detox: The 14 Day Mini Detox by Anita Bean (Paperback - 6 May 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01