on 14 October 2001
(This review is based on the hardcover edition)This book will not teach you anything about opera or even music for that matter. We get something much better; a frank and introspective story of a life (so far), one full of all those things which make each one of us ordinary and extraordinary at the same time. The story of a man who never let go of his dreams, even when time and many other obstacles lay in his path. It shows how important a wise and loving family and caring friends can be in the big scheme of things. In this case, the life of a man whose voice has captivated millions of fans, myself included.
It is a rare glimpse into a man's conscience, not just in it's bright and shiny refined state of maturity, but in the beginnings when we all strive to determine who we are and make our own way.
Andrea shares openly incidents in his life where retrospect reveals mistakes and misguided notions. He comes out the other end of self-discovery with a philosophy and attitude towards life to be admired.
He shows that one cannot merely "wish" for something to be so. Effort and action need to accompany any goals in life, and is courageous in his quest. The seed of an idea to become a singer grew through the years, instead of fading. It is a book of hope, which should inspire even the most jaded of souls, who have given up their dreams merely because the passage of time has dimmed their flame.
On page 115, he writes: "every man distinguishes himself by his unique qualities, but all men resemble each other in their defects, which are universal." Reading this book, you will come to know the boy and the man from Tuscany whose life is infinitely unique, just as we all are. Just as we all resemble each other.
If you admire this man for his voice, or just want to read an amazing, inspiring story, written by a man not afraid to reveal his mistakes or insecurities, alongside his most proud moments, I recommend this book. Then you can go learn more about opera!
on 20 December 2001
This is the memoir music-lovers have waited for. This liquid golden-voiced Italian tenor from Tuscany, tells of his blindness & how music soothed him; of his struggles as a boy to live a normal life; his studies to become a lawyer & how he found his world-class voice.
Andrea Bocelli is a refreshingly simple, humble fellow imbued with love, humor & a sense of the Grand Adventure. He wrote this memoir himself on a special Braille computer as if telling his story through another boy's eyes, which is only occasionally a distraction. Stanislav Pugliese translated it into pretty good English.
This is the angel who sang for Mayor Juiliani during a Memorial for those who perished in the September 11 attacks & I only wish there had been a CD of his favorite songs attached to this memoir.
on 8 June 2005
I am lost for words! An insiperation it must be to so many people. If you listen to Andrea sing and watch him on DVD you will understand.
I had a good cry. There by the grace of God etc. but we have had our moments. Grandson at twelve with a brain tumour.
A book I will not part with or lend out. It is so uplifting! like his voice.
Feeling down! buy and read it, it will help I promise.
on 8 October 2000
on 7 October 2000
I am writing from the US...where this book is not yet available. I had translated the book just for myself, from Italian earlier this year and was happy to see that the english publication captures most of the flavor of the maestro's own words. While TV, CDs, interviews and print articles are wonderful for what they are....this really tells his story so well that you will find it gives you worlds of new insight on his life both past and present. I heartily recommend it. This is a creative man who has a talent for writing as well as singing.
on 15 October 2013
It took a very long time for goods to arrive. I had to contact the seller who told me it was coming from USA! I take it it had to walk very slowly!
The book is not "new" as described at the point of sale. It clearly and without doubt is a second and reject. The cover had distinct print marks. There is a black ink line across all pages which clearly shows a manual mark of reject item. I did not return it as getting a refund did not seem to take place efficiently in line with rest of flaws. However I can not possibly keep this book in my library, it is heart breaking. The seller meanwhile leaves a note asking the buyer to contact them first if any issues....I would not take the trouble. I just mark the seller and make sure not to buy from them again. It was quite a pricy book for just under £20.00...what a waste, and I feel sorry for the poor author Mr Andreas Bocelli...
on 21 January 2013
Fantastic and a most interesting and wonderful readable book.Everyone who enjoys Andreas' music, this is a must read book.His achievements in life and his early life is here in this book.A MUST BUY.
on 26 August 2013
I have several Cd's of Andrea Bocelli, and love his voice over all other tenors I have heard. It was so interesting to read of his youth and studies before he was discovered and became famous.
on 21 November 2012
The way this book is written is like a journey into Andrea's past. Makes you feel what he felt, and teach you a lesson in life.

If you are a fan of this man, don't miss this book.
on 6 August 2013
Absolutely delighted with the condition of the book when it arrived. It was sold as used but it certainly didn't look like it. It arrived quickly too. Very pleased with everything.