on 3 January 2001
Anyone familiar with Izzard's live act will find comfort in the customary style of the nine monologues, which comprise this volume. His organic meanderings take you on a surreal and fascinating journey of word-association, circuiting the comedian's family background, unique career trajectory and creative inspirations. Interspersed throughout are scenic asides from the world of entertainment and history. Izzard's refusal to be confined by convention could run the risk of descending into diatribe, but his curious logic keeps the flavour effervescent. The brilliance lies in his ability to weave a wandering narrative around a series of seemingly unrelated anecdotes, often ending up right back where he started, but his unique ability to be simultaneously random and relevant means that the reader never feels that his unpredictable shifts of focus are overly contrived. Ok, you may not care that you don't know about the ice-cream kiosk near where Spike Milligan was stationed during the war, and you may not have given a great deal of thought to the blue-print behind mammalian hair patterning, but invest a little time in the Izzard method of explication and you will be entertained and enlightened.
on 8 May 2001
Forget overrated TV comics Graham Norton, Harry hill, paul merton etc.
Eddie Izzard is the best most oringinal, funnest comedian if his Genration up there with Tommy cooper, he has a real soul, heart and is a genuine person too this brillant book that takes him through his childhood to his Dress to Kill show speaks volumes Eddie is a real genuis, I like to see it updated since the was written 3 years ago Eddie's carrer has gone from Strength to strength his sell out rave reviewed world tour of his last show Circle which followed on from his double award winning Dress to kill show and his forthcoming Hollywood bloackbuster's The cats meow and All the Queens Men and now Artisic Director of Amnesty Internatinal.
this is one hell of a read.
A update please
on 24 December 2012
This is how Eddie ends his autobiography:

"So in conclusion, I've just re-read everything that I've said here and I really do talk a lot of crap. Some of it is pithy and wry and a deal of it seems to come from Captain Pompous and his Inflatable Ego." ....

I wouldn't say that Eddie talks a lot of crap, actually, and when you pare it down to it's essential there is a lot of pith and wryness, if not philosophical musings. His intellect and quick mind are clearly evident.

The writing style is exactly the same as his stand-up routines, including the frequent swearing. So what you have is each chapter supposedly dealing with a particular theme or part of his life, but with loads of veering off into other topics along the way. Imagine a mosquito writing it's autobiography and you get some idea of the quick and darting pace of the stream of consciousness that is this book. This autobiography is probably unique because of this.

One does gain some insight into what makes Eddie tick and what has motivated him to do the things he has and be the way that he is, but I was left feeling that he was just skimming the surface of himself. Almost as if his agent had said: "OK, let's do an autobiography," and Eddie had said: "Do, I really have to? Oh, alright then I'll put down some ideas over the weekend and then we can get two guys: (David Quantock and Steve Double) to write it for me." I wanted to go beneath the surface and find out what is really going on in Eddie's head.

Originally published in 1998 when he was 36, I wonder if he were to write another account of his life, now that he is 50, whether the resulting text would be more considered? I hope one day this happens.

In conclusion only an OK read.
on 3 December 2000
Eddie Izzard: comedian
Eddie Izzard: surreal
Eddie Izzard: hilarious!
Fans of Eddie Izzard's unique bran of humour will enjoy this book immensely. Every step of the way it is full of Eddie's amusing tangents and insights into the why the world is how it is. This book is a must-have addition to any Izzard fan's library.
on 4 July 2001
I think I expected a little more for the price I paid (the Aussie dollar's not very wel, you know) The book was good for it's pictures, even if the text was a little difficult to follow. It's definitely easier to read once you've seen the 'Dress to Kill' Video. All in all, though, I think I expected something better from Eddie.
on 13 April 2010
An enjoyable read but I was disappointed initially as I thought it would have been in the format of a traditional biography. However, once I got into the book I did find it a good read. It does tend to jump from subject to subject in a random fashion but then you have to consider how Eddie Izzard performs - and you can hear his performance as you read.
on 7 May 2013
funny interesting and a fantastic insight into this wonderful and mulit talented guy. Highly recommeded. Only wish he would bring out a sequel..