5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. As essential as sunscreen and lots more fun., 4 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Virgin Internet Travel Guide (Virgin Internet Guide) (Paperback)
I read the 'recmmended' review in Personal Computer World magazine this month which was full of praise for the book, and thought at less than five pounds it wasn't much of a gamble if they had got it terribly wrong. I am more than happy to report that they got it right, spot on in fact. A pocket sized cornucopia of Internet information for the traveller of all ages and all types., from the crusing OAP to the budget wary student (that's me by the way).
The travel advisory section is worth the money alone, add the rest in and both Davey Winder and Virgin Publishing are to be congratulated for putting content before greed. Nice one!
I really do mean it when I say that I won't be leaving home without it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value, wonderful read, definitive reference source!, 9 Feb. 2000
By A Customer
Most Internet 'guide' books are a bit of a waste of time, after all you can find information on the Internet pretty easily. What's more they are invariably either very boring, very patronising or try so hard to be witty and entertaining that they end up being both boring AND patronising.
What a pleasant surprise then to discover this wonderful little book. Not only does it contain an incredible assortment of references, I lost count at around 1100 and didn't bother starting again, but it's written with style and wit. The references are straightforward, accurate and well reviewed. The chapter introductions are refreshingly concise but with bucketloads of personality.
I am amazed that the author manages to squeeze such a variety of material in to such a small book. It covers everything from finding out about a destination, checking about visa and health issues, booking your flights and hotel, hiring a car right through to sending digital postcards whilst you are away and keeping in touch by using web based email services. Much of which I was hard pressed to find when I did a couple of simple searches at Yahoo and AltaVista. Full marks for the amount of sheer hard slog that must have gone into researching this book!
The first two chapters which deal with the Internet itself and how best to search for travel related information are extremely well written. For the first time I feel that I really understand it all - incredible that such a tiny, low cost book should be the source of my online education.
I was given the book as a gift, but have since bought copies for my parents and close friends. If you travel at all, on holiday or on business, you should buy the book. The investment is small but the return enormous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small in size, big in stature, easy on the pocket., 11 Feb. 2000
By A Customer
A good book that fills a hole in the market. There are plenty of web guides and plenty of travel guides but this is the only web travel guide I could find in the bookshop.
As someone who regularly backpacks around Europe and Australia it will be the perfect companion. It's small and light enough for my rucksack, yet doesn't cut corners on the content. The travel advisary section in particular was excellent - full of stuff that I didn't know, and I thought I knew pretty much all there was about roughing it around the planet.The Web pages it directed me to are an incredible source of useful information, and I am 100% sure I wouldn't have found half of them on my own.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful pocket travel guide, but sadly not a perfect one., 28 Feb. 2000
By A Customer
Good vlaue for money at less than five pounds, slips into the pocket easily and contains a myriad of travel information that even the most determined surfer would be hard pressed to emulate online. The design leaves a lot to be desired though, from the awful cover artwork to the total lack of illustrations inside. The constant stream of very small text makes for heavy going, and it's only the readability of the writer that gets you through it. I'd have given it the full five stars if the layout had lived up to the content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference & amazing value, 19 Feb. 2000
By A Customer
This is a real gem of a book that makes a mockery of most other internet books which are big, expensive and hard to follow. It is written in a clear, friendly style which is easy on the eye and the brain.
It is jam-packed full of helpful advice and contains a large amount of resouces and information for such a compact book.
Quite simply, if you are even thinking about travelling and you have internet access, then you MUST have this book. At the price you would be crazy not to.

The Virgin Internet Travel Guide (Virgin Internet Guide)
The Virgin Internet Travel Guide (Virgin Internet Guide) by Davey Winder (Paperback - 6 Jan. 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01