4.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration, 28 July 2004
David Holmes (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lone Traveller: One Woman, Two Wheels and the World (Paperback)
Anne Mustoe is an inspiration for anyone contemplating a long voyage on a bicycle. She chose to cycle alone on a bicycle through what must be some of the most difficult places.
The book is informative and enjoyable. There is enough detail on the logistics and practicalities of such an endeavour to answer the questions any reader may ask. She remains optimistic in circumstances that many others would find difficult and always finds something good to say about the simple or difficult conditions she faced - particularly the warmth and hospitality offered by many people she came across.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thought-provoking read, 2 April 2000
John Everard (London) - See all my reviews
I appreciated this book especially because I had read "A Bike Ride" - Anne Mustoe's earlier book on long-distance cycle rides. It is interesting to see how the solitude and physical discipline of the life of a lone traveller has changed her, and how much she has learned from her experiences. The chapter on solitude is, I thought, particularly interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring read!, 15 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Anne Mustoe is frequently telling the reader how she isn't a superfit young adventurer, that she is simply an ordinary headmistress who one day decided to get on her bike and cycle around the world! This book focuses on her second journey that spans South America, Australia and the Pacific, Asia and Europe. It is not simply a catalogue of countries as she explains in her introduction but instead she divides her chapters into particular experiences and subjects; 'Good Days', 'Police', 'Solitude' etc. always seeming to end each on a positive note. There are clear maps and several appendices at the back regarding packing, money and itineraries which make interesting reading in themselves. There are stories that make you smile, those where you think 'you wouldn't catch me doing that in a hurry' and many that inspire. I'm sure she makes cyling across some of the great deserts of the world sound easier than it was but this is a woman who has come prepared and knows her stuff!
At the end of the novel Anne reveals how her perspective on life has changed from the hardships she sees others living under and the hospitality she receives time and again depite this. So you too will find yourself thinking in a way you may not have done before, that maybe, one day you too could get on your bike and start riding!

5.0 out of 5 stars splendid, felt I was travelling with Anne on her adventure, 10 Feb 2001
By A Customer
Anne's decriptions helped me "feel" her journey, nay, her adventures...her travels through the loney and sometimes dangerous places left me holding my breath... the sights she described I "saw" too...a wonderful book by a brave woman..and I thought my travels alone were something to write about! Well done! I have told all my friends about these two great reads...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Late,Great Anne Mustoe !, 14 Dec 2009
Living in Australia, I have only just learned of Anne's death in Syria whilst on her latest and ultimately final cycling Odyssey. I have all of Anne's books and find them all brilliant!!!! More-so as history is not my strong point. I find her books both informative and very interesting. R.I.P Anne Mustoe. An absolute Legend in my eyes !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent light reading, 24 Feb 2000
By A Customer
A very enjoyable read! Anne Mustoe spends time describing different scenarios that she has been in. Each item produces a light entertaining read, helping to birth the urge to find a bike and start riding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Travelling inspiration, 7 Feb 2004
This book is a must for anyone of any age or background, contemplating travelling for an extended period. Full of very practical advice and personal accounts that do nothing to take away the discovery element of travel and exploration but everything to make you want to leave sooner.
Anne Mustoe's book is especially honest and, as previous reviews have pointed out, the chapters do not follow the chronological order of her journey but focus more on using countries and examples to illustrate specific key experiences of the author. I will ask my family to read this before I embark on my own cycling journey as Anne Mustoe reassures, educates and inspires within one very enjoyable book.

By A Customer
Anne's decriptions helped me "feel" her journey, nay, her adventures...her travels through the lonely and sometimes dangerous places left me holding my breath... the sights she described I "saw" too...a wonderful book by a brave woman..and I thought my travels alone were something to write about! Well done! I have told all my friends about these two great reads...

5.0 out of 5 stars very entertaining travel book, 6 July 2011
This is the first Anne Mustoe book I have read and I'll certainly be reading more, it's a different take on a travel book, she devotes separate chapters for categories such as "solitude", "company" which makes you feel as though you know her. She has a quirky sense of humour too, great easy reading for the beach or relaxing at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scholarship on wheels, 31 Jan 2014
Anne Mustoe's books are gems. They all contain her scholarly knowledge, her enthusiasm, her curiosity and above all, her capacity for getting on with all sorts of people. I was at her funeral and was most impressed by the character of all her family and friends who clearly adored her.

Lone Traveller: One Woman, Two Wheels and the World
Lone Traveller: One Woman, Two Wheels and the World by Anne Mustoe (Paperback - 10 Feb 2000)