5.0 out of 5 stars Just the best Periodic Table EVER!!!
This is how Science is supposed to be - FUN!
The book is accurate and covers everything a young mind would need to know about the elements and the little poster that comes with it (not shown here but is folded up in the back of the bok) is AMAZING!
Published on 18 July 2007 by Mrs. F. M. Dodd

3.0 out of 5 stars No Periodic Table
Pre-owned - not a problem. However, disappointingly without Periodic Table.
Published 2 months ago by Sharon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the best Periodic Table EVER!!!, 18 July 2007
Mrs. F. M. Dodd "fleur666" (Berkshrie, UK) - See all my reviews
This is how Science is supposed to be - FUN!
I have scoured the internet for a periodic table for my son, and they come in many shapes and sizes but htis one is ideal as the colourful cartoon characters each element is given are represented on the chart too and he is really keen to learn all about them!
The book is written in the first person for each element and several interesting facts are given for each element as well as the important scientific data in easy to refer to bullet point form at the top of every page.
The elements are grouped correctly and each group has its own title page with description of the main features of each group (i.e. what makes the group what it is and how to identify elements that belong to that group)
the book is smaller than I thought but that just makes it even more accesible and the text is a good size, not too big, yet big enough to keep small eyes glued to the page.
I am now on the hunt to see if Kingfisher have published any more science books in this style as I want them all
Also an ideal read for Adults trying to pick up Science again after many years ( like me)
Super - really worth the money, and mine was delivered in 2 days.

OK - so its not for chemistry A-level or above, but anything below that level is sure to love it and to behonest I am thrilled that the book has given my son of 9 a chance to access the periodic table and that I won't all be far too tedious for him when he gets into Chemistry more later - he'll be one up on his classmates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elements with Style indeed!, 21 May 2007
Mr. N. P. Chatterton (UK) - See all my reviews
Although the previous reviewer is correct in saying that not all the elements were represented in this book - I think this is not the point of the book.....Some elements, as I'm sure he is aware, have only been detected for millonths of a second - so writing much about them might, at this level, be a bit tough! I thought it was a wonderfully attractive book that breathed some new life into this subject - it was an excellent idea to give each of the elements a "personality"; and the text, on the whole, was witty and entertaining and accurate!

5.0 out of 5 stars My kids LOVE it, 26 Mar. 2009
C. R. Okparaeke (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this and the others in the series for my 10 and 12 yr old. I thought that since they're at the starting secondary school age it would help them.

My kids are absolutely sold on them - even fight over them! My son was able to correct his teacher in school over something she was teaching them about Calcium and the teacher had to go away and research it, then came back and gave my boy a sticker for knowing better than her!

Each element is presented in a 'swap card' style (similar to football cards, top trumps, etc) page and presents really fascinating and memorable information, they are colour coded and such like for aid of memory. Really cool. Makes science fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for inspiring little chemists, 15 April 2010
My daughter has loved this since we gave it to her when she was about 7 - it has been re-read countless times. Whether it will inspire her long-term remains to be seen, and as someone who myself gave up chemistry at the first available oportunity, I'm not in a position to judge whether the knowledge contained therein is any good. I do know that she lovs it, though, so hopefully this book will set off on the right track, so that she ends up rather more knowledgeable than her mother.

5 stars for appealing massively to my daughter from the age of 7, when she got it, to now (age 10), when it is still in favour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 30 May 2007
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Who said chemistry had to be boring? (I'm sure no one has ever said this, but someone sure forgot to tell my science teacher!) Basher and Adrian Dingle have come together to create an entertaining and valuable resource for students with their version of the 111 elements.

Whether you're studying chemistry in school right now or not, you're sure to get a kick out of the full-color illustrations inside the pages of this book. Plus, you might actually learn something, as each element is fully described in detail: the name, its symbol, its atomic number, its atomic weight, its color, its standard state, and its classification.

The elements are also broken down into eleven separate categories, including the Alkali Metals, the Transition Elements, the Boron Elements, the Carbon Elements, the Nitrogen Elements, the Oxygen Elements, the Halogen Elements, the Noble Gases, the Lanthanides and Actinides, and the Transactinides.

This is the perfect, easy-to-use reference guide for people of all ages, and the included poster can easily be used for an educating, stylish decorating tool. Who knew elements could be so interesting??

Reviewed by: Jennifer Wardrip, aka "The Genius"

5.0 out of 5 stars A scientist is born, 14 Sept. 2010
Dave2mouse (penn, High Wycombe) - See all my reviews
Gave this to my lad, who was interested in what the tables were and what they were about. Although it doesn't explain the table as such the elements are all laid out in a fun way, Giving a basic over view of the element and its powers.
If your looking for secondary school level this is not it, the detail is not there, but for 10/12 its a way in to a new subject. I guess it could work for older kids just as a different way of remembering them all!
Anyway my 10 year old enjoyed looking at and has some idea what the periodic tables are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basher science : The periodic table, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Basher Science: The Periodic Table (Paperback)
I blame the quiz show "Pointless" for my purchase of this. I know very little science at all and my formal chemistry knowledge ceased when I was 13 - though I know a little from gardening and avoiding pesticides. I didn't even know what the periodic table was and the idea of elements like Vanadium seemed someone's idea of a joke - I thought Vanadis was a Nordic goddess. So I needed a straightforward, well set out, simple text which would tell me what was what and what did what. This book supplies it - and so much more. I really like the illustrations, it is well set out and the poster at the end is a bonus. Perhaps my having been a Children's Librarian helps with the recognition that many children's books provide an excellent foundation for more. I can't see it through a child's eyes but I don't think this is a children's book. It is for anyone who just wants to know!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 21 April 2010
We have a very clever son who constantly requires fresh stimulation and he has just loved this book!! This and all the other Basher books have been read and re-read for over a year now, since he was four. Yes some elements are missing as has been previously stated but gosh it whetted his appetite for more!! If you have a like-minded child who is ahead of his/her years so needs some FUN in a book as well as learning then these are the books for you. Just fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for younger science lovers, 29 Mar. 2010
My little boy is 5 and has a fascination for the Periodic Table. This explains about half of the elements in a fun and friendly way that makes it feel as if you are not really learning at all. The illustrations are 'Manga-esque' if thats the word and very appealing. The book as I have said, does not cover all the elements included in the table and I know some reviewers did complain about this, which is justified if you were using this a study guide for an older child. However for my son it is hardly a worry as there will be plenty of time to learn the rest later. The book is handily broken down into sections (metals, gases etc) and also includes a little poster to look at. Would also recommend 'Astronomy' by the same publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Basher Science: The Periodic Table (Paperback)
This was purchased for my 10 year old grandson after he taught himself the Elements Song, so that he would know what he was singing about. I was impressed with the clarity of the illustrations and the text was easy to understand. I'll be buying some more books in the series soon.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Basher Science: The Periodic Table
Basher Science: The Periodic Table by Adrian DINGLE (Paperback - 18 April 2011)
Used & New from: £0.48