5.0 out of 5 stars we love this book.
I bought this book for my 5 year old son and 7 year old daughter who both love it. I have read it to both children and my daughter has also spent hours pouring over it on her own. Fun and informative, at the right level and length for interested children at this age and older.
Published on 28 Oct 2011 by claire

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it could have been
I love a book that is vibrant, has great colours and looks, on first glance that it's going to get the information over to the reader in a simple, easy to comprehend manner that will entertain as well as educate. Sadly this title from Kingfisher fails as on a closer examination there are a great many problems.

My first major gripe is that the images take over...
Published on 27 Oct 2011 by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it could have been, 27 Oct 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Plagues Pox and Pestilence (Hardcover)

My first major gripe is that the images take over and detract from the text boxes (that had they been highlighted in a separate colour would have helped them to stand out) which in the long run will take the reader a great many views to make their way through and can end up with them becoming lost amongst the towers of data quite easily.

Add to this the text feels too adult orientated (almost as if it was written for the Discovery Channel) which when added to the language felt that it was aimed at an older audience than the 8 year old market which whilst interesting for me, felt that it would end up relegated to the back of a shelf by any child who received it as they will quickly lose interest.

All, this book sadly falls flat on so many levels and I suspect that had I put it together I'd have taken the approach, of looking at a great many successful books like Horrible Histories (written by Terry Deary) or the entertaining writing of Mitchell Symons which keeps the interest as well as passing the information in a fun as well as educative way without coming across as condescending. Finally add to that some diseases mentioned within could give nightmares and it's a title that really should have been better planned.

5.0 out of 5 stars we love this book., 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: Plagues Pox and Pestilence (Hardcover)

Plagues Pox and Pestilence
Plagues Pox and Pestilence by Richard Platt (Hardcover - 17 Oct 2011)
Used & New from: 0.49