on 11 June 2014
Arrived quickly, good condition, great price. I was pleased to see that the poster that comes with the Basher books was still in it - now on my son's wall. Buying this second hand was a great way to add to my son's growing collection of this series without having to spend too much.
on 28 August 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Pretty pointless and distracting book really - the illustrations may be colourful but they fail to make a meaningful connection with the maths nor engage the reader - my daughter put it aside after browsing it...
VINE VOICEon 28 November 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is part of a series of books featuring the cartoon illustrations of Simon Basher. This one is slightly bigger than the pocket variety I've seen before.

The book looks at the basics of Maths, by personifying the concepts, in broad areas of number, sums, shape and data. The choice of what to put in was interesting, Pi is included, yet prime numbers, and squared numbers have been left out. That said, I did love the "characters" developed, particularly Polygon and Line Graph. I wasn't sure about the poster though - I felt it didn't really add anything.

My eleven year old son really liked the book - he is a fan of the series generally, and enjoyed reading this. My 7 year old son, also liked it, and thought some of the characters were quite funny. It clearly is a book which resonates with children, and as such, is a great way of reinforcing some of the basic mathematical concepts.

I would recommend this, it's a charming way of illustrating a fun side to Maths.
VINE VOICEon 1 October 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an interesting concept, it is a sort of maths story book. Concepts such as negative numbers and infinity are introduced as characters and accompanied by lively illustrations and interesting facts such as when the concept was first used and by whom. My five year old and seven year old daughters have enjoyed the book very much so far, we do a page a night in the bath and use the information as a little quiz, so all in all it has been a good experience.

In summary this book is educational and fun.
VINE VOICEon 19 August 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I gave this book to my son who is starting year 3 next school term, it explains very clearly ways to solve a wide range of mathematical problems. There is a lot of humour in this book which makes the solutions easy to remember.
VINE VOICEon 17 January 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book falls into the exact same trap as the puncuation volume, and presumably, all the other volumes of this series. While the art is excellent and immediately engaging for younger readers, the content is surprisingly advanced, and the two just don't go together. While the art would make a for an effective educational vehicle for children, the content is just too complex for anyone who would find the illustrations appealing. My children were initially very drawn to this book but within minutes of looking it over they had lost interest completely and have yet to pick it up again. To the authors, I would suggest scaling down the level of mathematics being taught through these books, making the most of the child-friendly art and using them as more introductory texts, rather than trying to explain higher-level mathematic functions with Telly-Tubbies graphics.
on 20 April 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Got this for my kids, my little one aged 8 actually read through the book by herself cover to cover, and I'm sure the illustrations must have helped. Having said that, I read through the book myself later and can't help to wonder how useful it is.

The book tries to describe various mathematical concepts in simple English. Some of the topics covered include basics like Fractions, Decimal Fraction, Units, Add, Subtract to more difficult ones like Quadrilaterals, Polygons, Averages, Ratios.

Because of the natural of the subject, I suspect a child won't really be able to understand the topics just from this book. More likely is the book can be used to help a child understand the topics after they've learned each topic at school.

Unlike a school text book, this book only acts as introductions to each topic area, and there's no exercises to do.
on 20 September 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I picked this book thinking my daughter (10 when I got the book, now 11) would love it. Unfortunately she's failed to be grabbed at all - the Maths concepts are seem to be presented out of their time - for example Maths for a 10-year-old accompanied by 7-year-old's taste in cartoons and I think this led her to feel the book looked too baby-ish for her.

Personally I think Maths IS fun, and like the explanations in the book which are clearly explained in nice bite-size chunks and in a more friendly way than even most modern textbooks manage. Unfortunately though it just wasn't to my daughter's taste.
on 20 July 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Overall this is a great little book to keep at home for when doing homework - each concept is explained in simple terms with fun diagrams and sample puzzles to tackle. There is also a glossary of common mathematical terms at the back which is useful. It doesn't say what age it is aimed at but I presume it is primary level because of the style and diagrams.
on 25 June 2015