4.0 out of 5 stars Fun little book
My children love the bright colours and cartoon nature of this book. They enjoyed this one so much that when we went to the library they picked up a couple more from the series. It is difficult to get smaller children interested in anything 'educational', but the fun nature of this book is enough to get their interest and keep it for more than a 'quick flick'...
Published on 24 Aug 2010 by McColey

3.0 out of 5 stars Content great, not sure about the characters
I thought the content of Planet Earth was great & very informative. However, unlike other reviewers I was not convinced about the use of cartoon characters so unfortunately the review lost a couple of stars. Maybe it is just me but I do not see how this adds to the book, it just confuses. Personification of inanimate objects just doesn't work for me here.

It...
Published on 31 Aug 2010 by I. Clarke

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun little book, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: Basher Science: Planet Earth: What planet are you on? (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My children love the bright colours and cartoon nature of this book. They enjoyed this one so much that when we went to the library they picked up a couple more from the series. It is difficult to get smaller children interested in anything 'educational', but the fun nature of this book is enough to get their interest and keep it for more than a 'quick flick'!

It is great for answering 'those questions' that kids ask about things that we don't overly think about; such as "why does it rain?" or "why does it get windy?". When we had thunder last week my 6-year-old daughter said "Oh I think I should read about this in the "Planet Earth Book", so we sat together and read all about the weather. It was such a change for her to pull out a book because she knew there was something in it that she wanted to talk about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute little characters help bring Planet Earth to life!, 25 April 2010
Kingfisher/2010

From the back cover:

'Imagine the planet we all call home as a crowd of cool globe-building characters, each with its own personality.
This book is your essential guide to the down-to-earth guys who keep the world in motion.'

Measuring in at c 12.75 cm square this is a neat little book, created by Basher and written by Dan Gilpin.
Colourful paperback covers open to 128 high quality, shiny pages, split into chapters:

Earth (pg 6-7)
Chapter 1 - The Insiders (pg 8-27)
Chapter 2 - Going Global (pg 28-37)
Chapter 3 - Landlubbers (pg 38-51)
Chapter 4 - Wet! Wet! Wet! (pg 52-67)
Chapter 5 - Weather Gang (pg 68-97)
Chapter 6 - Lively Crew (pg 98-123)

with an introduction, a 3-page glossary and an index......completed with a fold away poster attached to the back inner cover.

Each chapter has an opening double-page spread with the introduction on the left-hand page and the 'characters', i.e. the following topics, on the right.
Each topic follows the same format, a one or 2-page spread giving key information in three bullet points at the top and bottom, with general text in between, along with a coloured 'fact box' at the foot of the page.

Opening with 'Eratosthenes' and finishing with 'Conservation', this is a useful bite-size information book which is presented in a way which makes learning fun without really realising!
I have to admit that I picked up some information I didn't previously know, reading through this relatively easy-to-digest mini-reference!

Example of text: From 'El Niño' (one of the 'Weather Gang'):

* A mischievous scamp who affects Earth's climate
* Changes Water movement in the Pacific every four years or so
* His name is Spanish and means 'the little boy'

As a tricksy character, always game for a laugh, I mess about with currents in the Pacific Ocean and affect Weather all over the globe. I might be a bit of a kid at heart but after Seasons, I have the largest impact on Climate*.
Even now, the havoc I wreak gets blamed on global warming. Oh I do love getting away with stuff like that.........'

(*All the topics/characters, e.g. 'Climate', have a capital letter when it appears in the general text, so it is easy to identify and look up in the index to find out more information.)

So if you need some quick info about 'Precipitation', 'Greenhouse Effect', 'Tundra', 'Coral Reef', 'Ice Cap' and e.g.:

'Volcano:
....some say I'm like a big spot. Well, yeah, I do break out on Earth's surface, fill up with angry liquid and grow until I erupt........'

to name but a few...then, this could be the book for you!

One of a rapidly growing series which includes:

Periodic Table
Astronomy
Rocks & Minerals
Punctuation: The Write Stuff
Maths : A Book You Can Count On

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab little book, 17 Mar 2013
Bezerus Bezby "Bez" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great little book for kids age 5 plus. Some lovely little illustrations make it easy for children to understand the science bits! There is also a lovely method of diving into sections, so children can explore the weather and the oceans that make a world the way it is. My only criticism is that the text does not always do the pictures justice. However, the secret poster at the back of the book does make up for this to some extent!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what age group this is for, 22 Sep 2010
Scully Bloke (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A nice small book. Not certain what age its for. I bought it for my 6 year old but its too old for him to read on his own. Its also too old for me to read to him as a story. The graphic character is for younger children but the words are for much older children.

3.0 out of 5 stars Content great, not sure about the characters, 31 Aug 2010
I. Clarke "isabellaclarke" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It is aimed at 7-10 year olds.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of the series, 27 Jun 2010
A John (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my son, aged 10, who is a huge fan of this series, and loved the one on Rocks and Minerals, The Periodic Table: Elements with Style!, and Physics: Why Matter Matters. However, he was disappointed with this one. I think that is because its a little less structured than those he has read before, and he does prefer science to other subjects. My almost 7 year old son, on the other hand, thought it was great, and perfect for boys like him who wanted answers.

The book is divided into 6 broad areas
- "Insiders", which is a kind of summary,
- "Going Global", which talks about latitude, longitude etc...,
- "Landlubbers", looking at land types,
- "Wet, wet, wet", looking at rivers, oceans etc...,
- "The Weather Gang", and
- "Lively Crew", which talks about habitats.

This would be a good one to slip into a childs backpack for the plane journey on holiday. It's about half the size of a paperback, and it would provide some answers for the curious mind while traveling, as well as general entertainment. The writing is all in first person, as if the text was written by the glacier, or volcano. This helps to give it a light hearted feel. I do like the Basher cartoons - and almost wish he'd do a deal with Top Trumps, to produce cards of the books. I wasn't as keen on the included A4 poster with this one, as it didn't seem to have any seem to add anything to the book at all.

I would recommend this book for key stage 2 children - particularly where they are the type who ask why the mountains are formed, or what a glacier is. This isn't a comprehensive guide - but it does give some great short explanations, which is ideal for that age group.

4.0 out of 5 stars Innovative Take on the Earth, 22 April 2010
Wendy Jones "wjones7423" (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a small book but it packs a lot between its pages. It uses an innovative and somewhat irreverant approach to teaching children about the Earth on which we live. At first I found the approach to be somewhat disconcerting, but you soon get used to it. I found it to be interesting yet full of facts. I think this would be suitable for about 8-10 year olds who would certainly enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to Planet Earth, 23 Sep 2010
Keith Appleyard "kapple999" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love these little books. I bought the Periodic Table to refer to when doing the Weekend Crosswords - I've forgotten many of the Chemical symbols.
So when I saw this one available I grabbed it with glee.
What an imagination that Dan Gilpin has to find so many fun things to write about - all of them relevant, none of them scraping the barrel to make up the numbers - and Bashers' illustrations able complement each description, whether it be Earthquakes, Tidal Waves, Clouds, Water or Rain.
This definitely goes into my stash of Christmas stocking fillers for the 7-10 year olds.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool but not clear, 9 Sep 2010
J.R.Hartley (NW England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We got this book for our six year old and while she liked the drawings and re-created a number of them I don't think it explained things as well as some books she already has. She looked at it a lot when she first got it, but after a few days it found itself filed on the bookshelf and hasn't moved since. I suspect it will be passed on before too long.

4.0 out of 5 stars Facts Made Fun, 14 July 2010
H. Pierce (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This cute little book certainly knows how to capture an audience. Everything about it seems to invite the reader to dip in and have a look. It's small size (smaller than your average children's paperback) makes it an ideal companion for difficult journeys, which could perhaps inspire some educational discussion.

The subject matters are divided into sections, with each section tackling a specific subject area. Topics discussed include latitude and longitude, different types of land, habitats, weather, types of water areas such as lakes and oceans, and many more.

I would suggest this book is aimed for children aged between 7-10, depending on their interest level. It is written from the first person perspective, which is a cute way to get the kids attention, with delightful illustrations to accompany it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Basher Science: Planet Earth: What planet are you on?
Basher Science: Planet Earth: What planet are you on? by Daniel Gilpin (Paperback - 19 April 2010)
5.99