5.0 out of 5 stars great classic
I bought this book as I remember it when I was a young child
My teacher read my class this book one chapter each day just before
Home time.
I was only 8 or 9 at the time & all the kids loved this book
The story was so good it stayed with me all this time.
I bought my own copy years later but lost it.
My copy was in paperback format but this...
Published on 9 Oct. 2011 by davey w

3.0 out of 5 stars I read this book in the early `50`s and have ...
I read this book in the early `50`s and have seen the film several times since. I hadn`t realised that it written in the form of a novel and I think that the reported dialogue used between the characters in the story is very dated. I had an acquaintance who had been in the POW camp at the time and, with many others, had taken part in vaulting the "horse" when...
Published 7 months ago by Mr. T.A.Underhill

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Reading !!, 11 Oct. 2014
An excellent epic story of POW WWII escape using the cover of a gymnasium wooden horse to dispose of and cover a tunnel excavation. Highly recommended reading and very enjoyable !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still as enchanting as ever, 20 Mar. 2015
Read this book to my girls nearly 30 years ago and bought this for my grandson. Still an enchanting story that holds a child's attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Oct. 2012
I read this book when I was a child and wanted to share it with my 8yr old son. We are half way through reading it and he loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 10 Nov. 2014
A great story. A happy ending too. if you like escape stories, then this is a book you should read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Wooden Horse-a classic, 20 Aug. 2011
The Adventures of the little wooden horse was a favourite of mine as a rocking horse less child..I longed for a real rocking horse, fiery and ferocious, and the little barrel bodied horse came a close second...I followed his adventures every night as the story was read to me at bed time, and like all good stories, it has it's ''goodies'' and baddies'' the latter is in the form of a very snooty rocking horse who appears at the end of the story..this rocking horse is very full of himself, as is the horrid new wife the little horse's maker has..an enchanting story, and one from a gentler age..even poor children could aspire to a little wooden horse, even if a full sized rocking horse was out of the question, and this is a heartwarming story..in fact, I must re-read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Jan. 2015
One of the loveliest, thought provoking books that can shape a child's thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Feb. 2015
A great read, made even better by it being a true story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tunnel Vision!, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Wooden Horse (Paperback)
A REVIEW OF ‘THE WOODEN HORSE’ by ERIC WILLIAMS

‘The Wooden Horse’ (1949) is an enthralling and ingenious Second World War prisoner of war escape story. It tells of the adventures of two imprisoned RAF pilots, John and Peter, who hatch a cunning plan to use a vaulting horse as a means of concealing a tunnel. Thus, (literally) under the noses of their German captors they begin a perilous journey back to ‘Blighty’ that sees them having to go undercover in Stettin, whilst desperately searching for allies to passage them to neutral Sweden.

The book is split into two distinct phases, the first of which details the escape from the camp and the second which focuses upon their fortunes once their liberty is gained. Phase one is arguably the most fascinating via its vivid descriptions of the monotony of POW life and the sheer creativity of the vaulting horse scheme. Perhaps the biggest challenge is how to dispose of the sand produced by the tunnel. The solution is truly an act of patience and resilience. However, phase two does not fail to disappoint, as our heroes must live on their wits, whilst endlessly evading the watchful eyes of the Gestapo.

As a work of fiction, ‘The Wooden Horse’ would be a terrific read. However, what makes it so engaging is the fact that it is based upon the author’s own experiences. Indeed, although the names have been changed and the story is told in the third person, this is an accurate description of truly remarkable events in 1943.

Perhaps the only shortcoming of the story is the central characters’ limited backstories*. Although we receive a few flashes of pre-war life in England, exactly what and whom they are so desperate to return home to remains rather vague. If the reader knew of the longing of a sweetheart or young child, then perhaps he would root for John and Peter even more.

Nevertheless, ‘The Wooden Horse’ is a brilliant book. It inspired a whole genre of escape fiction and was turned into a successful movie the year after its publication. Those who enjoy liberal helpings of bravery, ingenuity and suspense in a novel will surely DIG this!

Barty’s Score: 9/10

* This might well be addressed in Williams’ other novel, ‘The Tunnel’ which recounts events before ‘The Wooden Horse’. I look forward to reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Childhood revisited, 5 Mar. 2012
I had this book as a child and read and reread it many times. I'm enjoying sharing the plucky persistence of the little wooden horse with my own children now. Although the book is old, I think written in the 30's, it does not seem as hopelessly out of date as other books from my childhood, more just set in another era but easily enjoyable with same life challenges. Abit like Dickens - ha ha!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little more wooden than remembered, 9 Dec. 2012
We enjoyed Gobbolino the Witch's cat by the same author and I remember this book from my primary school. It started off well if a bit gloomy but the chapters are a bit long to read at bedtime each night and the book fell down behind my son's bed and we've sort of left it there!

Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse (Kingfisher Classics)
Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse (Kingfisher Classics) by Ursula Moray Williams (Paperback - 18 July 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01