on 9 October 2011
I bought this book as I remember it when I was a young child
My teacher read my class this book one chapter each day just before
Home time.
I was only 8 or 9 at the time & all the kids loved this book
The story was so good it stayed with me all this time.
I bought my own copy years later but lost it.
My copy was in paperback format but this latest copy is a hardback
Edition.
It's well worth the money & all kids from 5 to older teenagers
Would love this book.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone
It's also an ideal birthday or Christmas gift.
on 6 December 2011
This is one of the books I remember from my own childhood in the most vivid detail. I couldn't wait for my own kids to be old enough for me to read it to them - but when I was ready shock horror it was out of print. I pre-ordered this edition as soon as I saw it coming and was absolutely delighted - it's gorgeously done - a lovely bit of publishing. A high quality hardback, with a lovely cloth cover and metallic detail - a bit like Dangerous Book for Boys etc. Just super.

And the story is every bit as I remembered it. I've read it to my bright 5-year-olds and they were begging for more at the end of each chapter. I'd say the age range is from 5 (if you read to them) up to 10+ when children will hopefully be able to read for themselves. The storytelling is for me flawless - beautifully told, lovely use of language, engaging, full of suspense (of the kind children can handle easily).

Can't rate it highly enough. I've so far bought about 15 copies myself for presents etc as I think every child in the world should have a copy!
on 12 December 2006
My daughter loved this story when I read it to her at bedtime when she was 5-6 and she returns to it nostalgically from time to time though she is now nearly 11 and reading all sorts of more grown up books. This a beautiful edition I bought her as a keepsake as our old paperback was getting tatty - well worth it. Ditto Gobbolino!
on 1 October 2008
My mother read this book to my sister and I when we were children and I can't wait to explore it again. This book should be read by children the world over. A lovely heart warming classic.x.
on 27 December 2001
I first read this book almost 25 years ago and the magic is still there. The marvelous story of the little wooden horse who wants nothing more than to return to his beloved Uncle Peder is so enchanting and heartwarming that you cannot fail to be touched by its childhood innocence. A wonderful, uplifting read.
on 29 October 2011
I am delighted with my purchase. The book is in great condition, as described. I am currently reading this story to my class and am enjoying it as much as they are!
on 14 April 2012
Do not be put off by the old-fashioned look of the book. This is one of the best books for children ever written. The language is of its time but easily understood by six and seven year olds. The children will take the little horse to their heart and will feel all the emotions that good literature can evoke. This book will lead to a lifetime of enjoying stories - you may even be inspiring a future English professor by reading this book!
The little wooden horse is a reluctant hero who is on a quest. As in all of the best quest stories, he faces many sore trials. As he faces each one, his character develops so that by the end of the book, he is no longer a shy and quiet little fellow, but a brave and confident chap with good friends in many places. This book teaches us to not be scared of the world and to know what is the most precious thing in our lives - to love and be loved in return.
I can't recommend it highly enough!
on 23 May 2009
I was delighted to be able to purchase my favourite ever story that I read over and over as a child with the original picture of the Little Wooden Horse as I prefer that to the modern one. I look forward to sharing it with my children. My only disappointment was that the cover is yellow not the red/orange of my childhood copy.
on 15 August 1999
After reading Paul Brickhill's book,"The Great Escape"I decided to read this book.It is exciting and brilliant.So anyone who is into war books,should read this!
on 18 February 2008
A fantastic read that gives a fascinating insight into the terror and desires of the captured prisoners of war. A great read, I read it in a day and was wanting to know more.

I have now bought the film version to see how it tranlsates on the screen.

Well worth a read