5.0 out of 5 stars great classic
I bought this book as I remember it when I was a young child
My teacher read my class this book one chapter each day just before
Home time.
I was only 8 or 9 at the time & all the kids loved this book
The story was so good it stayed with me all this time.
I bought my own copy years later but lost it.
My copy was in paperback format but this...
Published on 9 Oct 2011 by davey w

3.0 out of 5 stars A little more wooden than remembered
We enjoyed Gobbolino the Witch's cat by the same author and I remember this book from my primary school. It started off well if a bit gloomy but the chapters are a bit long to read at bedtime each night and the book fell down behind my son's bed and we've sort of left it there!
Published 16 months ago by MRS V K WHISH

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars great classic, 9 Oct 2011
I bought this book as I remember it when I was a young child
My teacher read my class this book one chapter each day just before
Home time.
I was only 8 or 9 at the time & all the kids loved this book
The story was so good it stayed with me all this time.
I bought my own copy years later but lost it.
My copy was in paperback format but this latest copy is a hardback
Edition.
It's well worth the money & all kids from 5 to older teenagers
Would love this book.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone
It's also an ideal birthday or Christmas gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, 19 April 2008
Gina Sergent "Be Precise" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse (Kingfisher Classics) (Paperback)
Unfortunately I was encouraged to read by my parents. Unfortunately, ONLY because I learned to read quickly and missed out on the pleasures of "children's" books - I am grateful I was taught to READ. I was given, and read, "adult" books from the age of, about. 5/6. My birthday present for my 8th birthday was "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" (In English but unabridged) 'cos the Disney film had just been released. I had never read "children's" books. I only read "The Wind In The Willows" round about 1999/2000 when I was 50ish and I was amazed - what had I missed out? So I started hunting, "Railway Children"," Travels of Oggy", "Black Beauty", "Killer Cat" etc. Then I recently (2008) found this. The story, and the telling, are wonderful. This little Horse only wants to be helpful and return to Uncle Peder - I cried while reading it. And this from a complete cynic. No more to say!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a mum, 12 Dec 2006
My daughter loved this story when I read it to her at bedtime when she was 5-6 and she returns to it nostalgically from time to time though she is now nearly 11 and reading all sorts of more grown up books. This a beautiful edition I bought her as a keepsake as our old paperback was getting tatty - well worth it. Ditto Gobbolino!

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best children's books ever written, 6 Dec 2011
This is one of the books I remember from my own childhood in the most vivid detail. I couldn't wait for my own kids to be old enough for me to read it to them - but when I was ready shock horror it was out of print. I pre-ordered this edition as soon as I saw it coming and was absolutely delighted - it's gorgeously done - a lovely bit of publishing. A high quality hardback, with a lovely cloth cover and metallic detail - a bit like Dangerous Book for Boys etc. Just super.

And the story is every bit as I remembered it. I've read it to my bright 5-year-olds and they were begging for more at the end of each chapter. I'd say the age range is from 5 (if you read to them) up to 10+ when children will hopefully be able to read for themselves. The storytelling is for me flawless - beautifully told, lovely use of language, engaging, full of suspense (of the kind children can handle easily).

Can't rate it highly enough. I've so far bought about 15 copies myself for presents etc as I think every child in the world should have a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful memories, 1 Oct 2008
Ms. Lisa C. Palmer (England) - See all my reviews
My mother read this book to my sister and I when we were children and I can't wait to explore it again. This book should be read by children the world over. A lovely heart warming classic.x.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this great book to your Year 2 class., 14 April 2012
Do not be put off by the old-fashioned look of the book. This is one of the best books for children ever written. The language is of its time but easily understood by six and seven year olds. The children will take the little horse to their heart and will feel all the emotions that good literature can evoke. This book will lead to a lifetime of enjoying stories - you may even be inspiring a future English professor by reading this book!
The little wooden horse is a reluctant hero who is on a quest. As in all of the best quest stories, he faces many sore trials. As he faces each one, his character develops so that by the end of the book, he is no longer a shy and quiet little fellow, but a brave and confident chap with good friends in many places. This book teaches us to not be scared of the world and to know what is the most precious thing in our lives - to love and be loved in return.
I can't recommend it highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical return to childhood......., 27 Dec 2001
By A Customer
I first read this book almost 25 years ago and the magic is still there. The marvelous story of the little wooden horse who wants nothing more than to return to his beloved Uncle Peder is so enchanting and heartwarming that you cannot fail to be touched by its childhood innocence. A wonderful, uplifting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is one of the best War Books!, 15 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Wooden Horse (Hardcover)
After reading Paul Brickhill's book,"The Great Escape"I decided to read this book.It is exciting and brilliant.So anyone who is into war books,should read this!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Little Wooden Horse, 29 Oct 2011
I am delighted with my purchase. The book is in great condition, as described. I am currently reading this story to my class and am enjoying it as much as they are!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read., 10 Aug 2010
Mr. A. Moore "The Moore Family" (Redditch UK) - See all my reviews
Thanks to the film, most people think they know about The Great Escape. This is another of those true stories from the very same prisoner of war camp, Stallag Luft 3.
A small number of allied prisoners of war, set about to escape by digging a tunnel from the middle of the camp in plain sight of the German guards.
A gripping tale of bravery and daring do that could be straight from Boys Own but this one really happened. One that is hard to put down, especially if like myself, you like a good war story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa918a06c)

Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse (Kingfisher Classics)
Adventures of the Little Wooden Horse (Kingfisher Classics) by Ursula Moray Williams (Paperback - 18 July 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01