on 2 May 2002
This takes you right into the life of a German family, unusual for a second world war book as they normally feature the most unfortunate side. This is very much reversed from the traditional war story as it tells of the Russians fighting the Germans into retreating. This is well written and brilliant for any reading age. Very well worth the 5 stars it has been given!
on 24 September 2003
This is one of the best and most moving books I have ever read. The Authors description of his childhood during this terrible period puts our own into perspective. The account of their first escape from the Russians on a train is particularly harrowing. What is amazing is that the author grew up to be a well adjusted human being, a testament both to himself and his mother. Read this book and be happy that our children grow up here in the UK today.
on 21 September 2013
Wolfgang was a young boy in Germany as the Third Reich started to crumble in 1945, he and his mother and little sister Ingrid scrambled to get away from the advancing Russians ending up with nothing in wartorn Strasburg before being forced further west to a disease ridden refugee camp. No one could imagine what this family went through to survive, Wolfgang's grandfather was arrested by the Russians and beaten to death, there was constant hunger with no food available in Germany at that time leading his mother to do anything to obtain the smallest amount leading her to being shot and raped, although surviving. Wolfgang's father was off fighting in the Luftwaffe and then a british prisoner of war so Wolfgang felt himself the head of the family, scavenging for scraps to feed his family. Finally after escaping to the American Zone of Berlin he was able to live some life with the other refugee children always wanting to be an airplane pilot, after six years as a refugee his mother met an American, Leo, Wolfgang loved this man as much as his mother and eventually they were taken to America where he lived his dream as a U.S Airforce pilot.
I have only given a very brief plot of this book, this is a very long and well worth reading book and I don't want to give to much away, I couldn't put this book down.
on 26 October 2007
German boy is one of the best books I have ever read. I was facinated by looking at this different side of war time and what it was like inside Germany at the end of the war. It is well written, gripping and I would recommend this book to everyone.
on 11 July 2011
I could not put this book down. The true story of a young boy in Germany at the end of the war, a refugee in his own country. The story draws you in from start to finish.
on 28 September 2011
Far from not being able to put it down, I couldn't be bothered reading this. I abandoned it after the first few chapters. For a start it was quite unbelievable in detail for a remembrance of a boyhood after more than 50 years. I couldn't suspend my belief that far. And it was, to me, rather poor writing. This one could have done with a ghost writer.
on 22 August 2013
I HAVE OFTEN BEEN ASK TO WRITE ABOUT MY CHILDHOOD.
AS THE BOOK IN ESSENCE ,EXISTS, DEPICTING SOME, NOT MOST ,
OF MY EXPERIENCES,IT THEREFORE
ALREADY EXSISTS IN THIS BOOK. I HAVE RECORDED MINE.
THE BOOK CAME IN GREAT CONDITION ,IN GOOD TIME.
VERY PLEASED.
K.A IRRGANG
on 31 January 2015
This was the best book I read in the last couple of years. It gives a vivid image of the impact of war to a German family. It was quite painful to read the part of the book that depicts the events under Russian rule, rapes, atrocities. It has an happy end though
on 18 July 2014
Very interesting account of post WW2 chaos in Germany . Well written, could not put it down.

Dick Lindley
Birkwood Farm.
UK
on 8 August 2013
Brilliant. Quite harrowing at times. A good description of life during and after the war.
It arrived in good order and quickly.