5.0 out of 5 stars Just Lovely!
I have never written one of these reviews before so bare with me!

I was impressed by this book and its content - not only does it give personal accounts of the girls that were on the farms it povides unknown information ( to me ) about how the Womans Land Army was set up.

Published on 17 Sep 2008 by Miss Nesbitt

3.0 out of 5 stars THEY FOUGHT IN THE FIELDS
My mistake - I thought it was going to be Land Girls' personal stories. I would like to have known it was the History of its formation only. I was only semi interested, but I did learn somethings. I passed it to my Friend who is a member of the W.I. and was more interested than I was.
Published on 2 Jun 2011 by rachel-Anne

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Lovely!, 17 Sep 2008
Miss Nesbitt "Kitty Kat" (In the Garden Reading....) - See all my reviews
I have never written one of these reviews before so bare with me!

The stories that were given protray unfathomable fortitude of such young girls in the face of adversity, adherence to such hardships on minimal rations and general get-up-and-go attitude the girls held right to the very end makes our lives of waiting an extra 5 mins for a bus shameful when they used to have to dodge bombs.

However the friendships that were formed and the love for their work adds an extra glow to this extraordinary story of their calling.

This book is definately worth the money for anyone wanting to know how these girls survivied and fought the War from the fields.

5.0 out of 5 stars Women's Land Army, 11 Nov 2008
P. Digweed "P.D" (Berkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I found this book very informative, I knew a bit about the Women's Land Army but this book goes into detail about the way of life for Land Girls. I enjoyed reading the personel accounts of former Land girls, I was also very surprised to read about the way they were treated by the goverment at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars They fought in the fields, 30 Nov 2011
Excellent book, an ideal christmas present for someone who served in the Land Army. The delivery was very quick, two days and now wrapped as the ideal christmas pressie!

5.0 out of 5 stars They Fought In the Fields, 14 April 2008
Just heard from a lot of Land Army Girls ( all in the 80's) that its a really good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really brings to life part of war, 15 July 2013
Bought for my mother who was on a farm during the war. She laughed along with the experiences and cried a little too at some of the sadder moments.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life on the farm during World War Two, 23 Oct 2012
"They Fought in the Fields" tells the story of the Women's Land Army during World War Two. Building on experience from World War One, the WLA was formed in 1938. The driving force behind its formation was the fact that thousands of male agricultural workers would be called up in the event of war, so their work on the land would have to be done by women. There was some resistance at first to this idea; women were believed to be unable to handle the physical work involved, and/or they might be used as cheap labour, to the detriment of male workers. It took a couple of years for these notions to be overturned. WLA volunteers, drawn from all over the country, from every sort of background (rural or urban, upper-class, middle-class or working-class), generally proved adept at any work that farmers gave them, sewing crops, harvesting, minding animals, muck-raking, forestry work or even rat-catching.

Nicola Tyrer's book is an overdue recognition of the invaluable work done by the WLA during and immediately after the Second World War, and includes first-hand accounts by WLA members that bring their work vividly to life. It is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic, 21 Oct 2012
I bought this book for mother who is now 92years old, she was in the land army during the war. Money well spent as she has read and re-read this book. Brought back many happy and long forgotton memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 4 Oct 2011
Bought this for a friend who had been a Land Girl and she was absolutely thrilled. She loves the book and has re-lived many happy moments through it. She said she has also learnt many new facts from it. Very much a "hit" present.

3.0 out of 5 stars THEY FOUGHT IN THE FIELDS, 2 Jun 2011

They Fought in the Fields: The Women's Land Army - the Story of a Forgotten Victory
Used & New from: 40.99