5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting book to say the least...
It's great to finally have explanations about the re-union and the two break-ups, because it's obvious we'd never get the truth from the newspapers.

Published on 9 April 2010 by dneaeade

3.0 out of 5 stars Duran Duran replies with "No Comment!"
Published on 7 Oct 2008 by Poptrash

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting book to say the least..., 9 April 2010
dneaeade (Paris, France) - See all my reviews

Andy has always been my least favorite member of Duran Duran, but now that I have read his book, I see him very differently and I must admit that his personal story is very moving, he even made me cry, especially when he talked about his parents.

When I get this book, at first I thought I would skip all the pages that were not going to be Duran Duran related but in the end, I was very pleasantly surprised to realize how I enjoyed reading all about his life, this book is really fascinating. At the end, I was almost in fact skipping a lot of Duran pages after all.

One thing is for sure, I will never see Nick Rhodes or John Taylor the same way again, but I still would like to listen to their versions of events too.

My only regret is that, since it's a book written by Andy and not Simon or Nick, it's obvious that a lot of important steps of Duran Duran's musical evolution are missing (Notorious, Big Thing, Wedding album etc.).

But what really saddens me the most is that, after I've read the book, I was left a little bit depressed because I felt that if all the Duran guys spent more time in the recording studios than on bars, at parties, using drugs or drinking alcohol, we'll have much more than only 4 studio albums made by the five of them !

Reading that book also convinced me (just like it was the case for Depeche Mode too I guess) that too much touring is what kills these bands in the first place by draining all their enthusiasm and energy. Because I'm sure it's no coincidence that both bands were brought on the brink of destruction immediately after doing huge american tours.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing surprise! Thanks Andy!, 27 Aug 2009
Hugh Peto "Hugh Peto" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The paperback edition (summer 2009) seems to have ironed out the editorial errors in the first (2008) hardback edition. As others have said, Andy comes across as extremely likeable, very honest and funny as hell. The stories and anecdotes about the rise of Duran Duran from 1980 to 1983 are unbelievable, but clearly true. The view from the stratosphere (1983-85) sounds terrifying, a living nightmare...please read the book to see how the band and the band members disintegrate under the intense public gaze. There are lots of "Now I understand!" moments, where you can piece together where Andy's account 'dovetails' with the 'official' version of events that had been fed to the fans over the years.

It's a real roller coaster, and you can totally get why these 5 men in their early 20s went mad in their own ways as a way of coping with the pressures of fame. 5 normal-ish guys who suddenly found themselves in a whirlwind. Just as with Beatlemania 20 years before, there was a heavy price to pay mentally and physically and it is a miracle that none of them ended up dead: Simon is clearly a fun and optimistic character, but has slight delusions of artistic grandeur and developed a hard shell to protect himself from the cruel music and tabloid press. Nick, with the overarching artistic vision (Warhol's mini-me?!), but a control freak with the ability to disconnect emotionally from difficult situations. Andy, heart on his sleeve, rocker and musician at heart, no bull, but always the Geordie outsider: he has battled his own demons with drink, drugs and depression, supported over the decades by his amazing and long-suffering wife, Tracey (she sounds like a well-rounded saint in the Yasmin Le Bon mould). John, the childlike muso geek and ugly duckling whose talent and looks blossom but then seeks oblivion in drugs for far too long. Roger, sweet-natured and shy, and the least able to cope with the spotlight, his breakdown and agoraphobia seems almost inevitable, the way Andy tells it. He speaks with great affection about all of the other 4, especially in the early years, although it's hard to imagine two more different characters than Andy and Nick - except perhaps Andy and Nick's first wife, Julie Anne 'Yoko' Rhodes!

I would have liked Andy to have gone into more detail about the creative process involved in making the first three albums. I guess that his songwriting (and production) skills were suppressed by Simon, John and Nick during this period, so he 'just' added his funk-punk Andy guitar sound and that was it.

If you are a worshipper of Simon, Nick or John as individuals, the book shows them as all too human, so you may not like what Andy has to say, especially about the events surrounding the Reportage sessions and the 2006 'divorce'. He is still angry about it, and the communication breakdown does seem tragic, but he is never bitter. When the other 4 finally get round to writing their memoirs, I doubt that they will be as honest or as detailed at this. An absolute must-read for any fair-minded Duran fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wild Boy - Andy Taylor, 13 July 2009
A very enjoyable read. Being a Duran fan, I was hoping that Mr Taylor wouldn't slag the others off too much and he doesn't at all. Andy comes across as accepting that there were a lot of differences with the other band members but an admission that it was no-ones fault and he was as much to blame as anyone. He goes on to say that he wouldn't change a thing because of the amazing journey it all took him on. Lots of funny stories and you get the feeling that he's just as gutted as anyone that it didn't quite work out which is refreshing because usually ex-band members just rip into a dishing-out-the-dirt splurt! Andy was probably my least favourite band member but that may have changed now, the book reveals a different side to his character that I'd never seen before and he appears to be a genuine, likeable man throughout. It's a real shame that they couldn't patch up the differences as they all seem to respect each other immensely. I also forgot just how important "Andy's sound" was to the early Duran albums and without that they may well not of ever cracked it - especially America. Listen to those great early songs again, they've got Andy's guitar riffs stamped all over them (and Roger, John, and Nick and Simon)!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Taylor made!, 6 May 2009
This review is from: Wild Boy: My Life with Duran Duran: My Life in "Duran Duran" (Hardcover)
Wasn't expecting much with this book. Andy was my least favourite Duranie as he seemed rather arrogant, but thought I'd give it a go. How wrong was I! This is a very well written book and what comes across is his love for his wife and family. How many rock n roll marriages have lasted as long as his? He has obviously survived all the excesses flung his way and hasn't let it all go to his head. Still think its shame the boys couldn't work together but don't blame Andy for getting out while he still could.

3.0 out of 5 stars Duran Duran replies with "No Comment!", 7 Oct 2008
I found Andy Taylor's "tell all" very interesting to read. Wondering what Nick, Simon, Roger or John had to say about it I contacted them via their "PR" person Katy who stated that the guy's have "No Comment". How typical. I admire Andy for being willing to share with us the reason he is no longer in Duran Duran today and providing details about his untimely departure from the group in 2006.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read - well worth it!, 18 July 2014
I really enjoyed this book! To be honest I thought I might find it boring as I'd never taken much notice of Andy back when I was an avid DD fan when I was 13/14, so I didn't think that his 'angle' would keep me interested . Back then, I never thought that he really seemed to fit in with the glamorous/arty image of the group and the obvious good looks of the others (particularly John Taylor, who was my favourite) overshadowed him. I also felt (at the time) that the other members were probably the main driving force behind the music, rather than Andy, but on the contrary, it seems as if Andy had a lot more input than most of the other members. But the feeling I got from this book is that Andy was/is a genuine, decent bloke - down to earth, respectful and thoughtful. I don't feel as if there was any mud-slinging about other members and he refers to them with respect and affection. He obviously has enjoyed 'the good life' (in more ways than one) but also had some very difficult times too and possessed the insight about himself and other people in his life, in order to get through them. His earlier life and the feelings he had as a child and the love for his father and family were also a good read and very touching. WELL worth reading if you were a Duran fan - interesting to read about all of the 'ins and outs' behind the scenes of DD, when as a devoted fan in the 80s, I thought their lifestyle was so fabulously glamorous and perfect. It seems that wasn't necessarily the case. I have also read John Taylor's book and even though it was a great read (and also recommended) I felt as if he was a little vague about many things and I was left with more questions. Whereas Andy Taylor's account seems more open and frank and didn't leave any 'loose ends'.

5.0 out of 5 stars truth revealed!, 4 Sep 2011
WOW! What an insight into Duran Duran. I have been a Duran Duran fan since the beginning of 80's and then lost a bit track of them when the split. It was interesting (and shocking) to know what happened behind the scenes. I always thought Duran Duran were the clean cute guys, but far from it! They could have been on top of the world and it's a pity they wasted themselves in self destructive activities. The book is well written and Andy took care of not making others wrong. It looks like that somehow he took responsibility for some parts of his life. The book is even funny at times.

5.0 out of 5 stars the GuitarGod, 9 Feb 2010
Andy is honest to himself and his music. The book just confirmed to me why we all love him dearly! Andy will always be the only guitarist that is right for Duran Duran!

4.0 out of 5 stars Revealing Duran read, 30 May 2009
J. Owston (Newcastle Upon Tyne, England) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book because I was a Duran Duran fan when I was in my teens and this book tells you the Duran story from Andy Tayor's point of view. Starting with the beginning of the end of Duran Duran at Live Aid, it then documents his early life in the North East of England, onto touring US military bases in Germany, then the audition which changed his life - for Duran Duran at the Rum Runner club in Birmingham.
I enjoyed reading about the music and touring; but I especially liked the stories of famous people Andy met (the Lenny Kravitz anecdote and Motley Crue story are very amusing) and all the parties, fights, arguments, hissy fits and lost-in-showbiz moments that seem to come with being in a successful group. I would recommend this book to people who were 'Duranies' and also if you like rock and pop biographies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wild Boy, 9 May 2009
A. Sullivan (England) - See all my reviews
Andy Taylor's own account of his life in Duran Duran was very a enjoyable read. Having been a big fan in my teens, it filled in gaps in my knowledge about their career, their well-earned achievements,and the highs and lows of superstardom, from an honest and personal perspective. Through reading the book I found Andy to be very likeable and was struck by his love for his wife and family. I feel sad that the pressures of fame resulted in the band's implosion, but inspired by what they achieved by hard work. As a fan, its true that I would have liked even more personal details, but respect that for the sake of sanity, privacy must be protected. However, a recent photograph of Andy without his sunglasses would have been appreciated !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Wild Boy: My Life with Duran Duran: My Life in "Duran Duran"
Wild Boy: My Life with Duran Duran: My Life in "Duran Duran" by Andy Taylor (Hardcover - 4 Sep 2008)
Used & New from: 1.70