4.0 out of 5 stars It's all about the right attitude
Published on 22 May 2012 by Juliet Foster

2.0 out of 5 stars Good if you like Football
I really wanted to like this book.. but I didn't.

It's not what I wanted it to be, I wanted it to be about Theo's business life, with his companies such as La Senza and Rymans, but it was 60% about his time at Millwall.

I don't like football, I like business, so it did nothing for me.

Shame because he's a talented businessman but you don't...
Published on 10 Oct. 2012 by Neil Asher

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all about the right attitude, 22 May 2012
Juliet Foster "Life's better in Red" (Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
The story of the football obsessed (and I mean obsessed!) dragon and how he turned his life around. Well, where to begin a review? With other reviews, I think. Some people have slated this book for not being the business book they somehow thought it was. I have to disagree with them completely. Enter the Dragon is not billed as a business book. It's a book by a very successful businessman who turned his life literally from rags to riches, hence the subtitle, but he never claims he'll tell you how to be successful in business yourself.

What Mr Paphitis does in this book is describe a quite remarkable life, beginning as a child newly arrived from Cypress and struggling not only with the language barrier but also with dyslexia and having to get through school at a time when those difficulties were very rarely supported. Branded as `thick' he could easily have given up there and then. Of course, we know he's anything but thick and is not only very quick but also very shrewd.

Enter the Dragon does give some rules for business at the end (which are on Theo's website too, so we know these are not the purpose of the book) and if you have an ounce of common sense you'll find yourself agreeing with them. The thing that stands out from this book as the way Theo transformed his life is attitude. He has the tenacity to keep trying and the determination to succeed. He has the sense to cut his losses and not carry them with him into the next venture. Most of all, he embraces his abilities with the key attitude that he can do anything he puts his mind to. We can all do that (within our physical limitations) but how often do we allow ourselves to believe it?

You might not get direct insight to business plans and how to play every move in the game from this book. If you sit back and read it and exercise a little common sense you can easily interpret the message though. If you give up, you'll never be anything like Mr Paphitis. If you allow your heart to rule your head in business, you're setting yourself up for a fall. If you bite off more than you can chew, you'll choke. If you don't do your homework, you'll get caught out. It's all about having the spirit and the sense to succeed. Theo's had some near misses but he fought back with a powerful faith in his ability to spot an opportunity.

There's a lot to be got from this book, whether you're looking for a sense of direction in business or just want to know more about the dragon we've all come to appreciate for not pussy-footing around. If it's how to you're after, this is not the book for you. If you can apply a little independent thought to what you read and think about how you can change your attitude and approach, then it's a very useful read. It's nice to learn more about Theo the person as well.

Four stars Theo - a bit too much football for me, and yes I know that's highly relevant to you and both your business and personal life - it just makes very little sense to me so I didn't take much in for two chapters. Readers, you can still learn that it's good to have more passions in life than `strictly business' - this man is football crazy and I wouldn't mind being a tenner behind him!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get to Know Theo!, 10 Oct. 2010
Fabrizio Poli "Fabrizio Poli" (Chorley,Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
A great insight into Theo Paphitis from Dragon's Den. I enjoyed learning how he started, about his various ventures and how they developed and also about his family life.
Another great business person that is happily married and not a womanizer. A great role model to follow.
I also enjoyed his simple approach to managing retail stores and how to get them to perform.
Great read and highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars The underdog stories never disappoint......, 23 July 2011
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
Well this is one product I cant do a pros and cons off, coz this is an altime fav underdog story and a real one too....he is one of the outstanding personalities you would imagine, and hence, this book never disappoints.....

2.0 out of 5 stars Good if you like Football, 10 Oct. 2012
Neil Asher "www roarlocal com" (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
I really wanted to like this book.. but I didn't.

I don't like football, I like business, so it did nothing for me.

Shame because he's a talented businessman but you don't get to hear anything at all about it.

The best Dragons book for me is James Caan's

Neil Asher
Roarlocal

5.0 out of 5 stars The real dragon, 13 April 2010
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
A fine book, full of genuinely useful business advice and tips, combined with the pleasant wit we have come to expect from this great man.

A wonderful read, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of many parts., 29 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
My wife bought me this book over 6 months ago while I was doing a business that was about to fail and it did. If I had read this book in the process maybe I would have learnt Theo's first rule of business and managed my risk better. This books has a bit of everything. I guess people are complaining about the football bit of the book because it is towards the end and that is what they remember most about it. This is a book that tells you how buy a business with no money, turn around businesses and he turned around a quite a few. It is a book about how Theo Paphitis changed his life and the lesson you can learn to change your life. Different people will analyse this book differently depending on their experiences in life. Being a foreigner, I am able to relate with some of his experiences and challenges. Business is simple like he always says and I believe this. Profit is reality, turnover is vanity.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% INSPIRATIONAL AND GREAT STORY OF SUCCESS AGAINST THE ODDS !, 12 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
If you have ever been unemployed, despairing, needing a break, you will gain great inspiration from this book ! Lady luck can rescue you if you possess the determination and self belief that Theo personifies !

Having gone from job to job, dissatisfaction was not going to be a way of life for Mr P. At one point he was unemployed, running out of cash, and just sailed on the river and went to the pub everyday....completely lost in life.

Later, innovating clever new methods in the commercial insurance world, he won respect, status and wealth. As well as sheer grit, drive, and guts, pure chance events played their part in rocketing this dyslexic Cypriot boy who once slept on a sofa, to membership of the super rich world elite !

100% RECOMMENDED HIGHLY INSPIRATIONAL AND ENTERTAINING !

5.0 out of 5 stars theos-story, 23 April 2010
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
very good ,very interesting inside to this man.when finished was wanting more to read about him as i wondered did he hold things back!! but v good all teh same.recommended buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Rags to riches, 24 July 2009
Bhupinder Bhasin (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
The classic rags to riches story. Very down to earth. A really good read. The 12 rules for success at the end is a nice touch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average read!, 22 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Enter the Dragon (Paperback)
I brought this book after reading Duncan Bannatyne's autobiography 'Anyone One Can Do It.' However unfortunately Theo's book was nothing compared to Duncan's. I felt it was an ok book but at times i felt he rambled on for too long about things, and i found myslef skipping chapters. I also felt that unless your seriously into football or sales and retail the book was a bit boring. Where as Duncan's was much more varied and the average everyday person can relate to much more about what he was talking about then Theo's life in business. If you had to choose between the two go for Duncan Bannatyne's book.

Enter the Dragon
Enter the Dragon by Theo Paphitis (Paperback - 30 April 2009)