4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one.., 30 Dec 2008
Helen Simpson (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Savage Moon (Paperback)
...this time featuring Saddleworth Moor which has it's own dark secrets even before the gruesome murder of Rose Sutton.

The case is intriguing, yet seemingly simple. It looks like a panther or similar large cat is out there and has developed a taste for something more than mutton. But then another mutilated corpse is found and to cover all possibilities, DI Jon Spicer is thrown into investigating the sordid world of dogging and sad perverts.

As I've mentioned in a previous book review, I like the character Jon Spicer and could almost read this series of books just to find out what's happening to him. In this novel he's got plenty more to worry about than just the case he's on. Simms successfully creates a believable character who the reader really cares about.

The story as a whole is an interesting premise, although I have to admit that the reality of the case seemed a little far fetched and I've deducted a star for that reason. It's certainly thrilling though, and a night walk on the moor was particularly scary...I was almost holding my breath.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but not as good as 'Shifting Skin', 26 Feb 2008
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Savage Moon (Paperback)
I loved 'Shifting Skin', so I'd been saving 'Savage Moon' for a couple of months, waiting for a time when I would have a book to read that was guaranteed to be great.

The novel starts when the body of a woman is found on the moors, seemingly attacked by a wild animal, presumed to be a panther. Her murder is investigated as such until a man is found with similar injuries but this time in a car park, known as a haunt for gay men looking for a rendezvous! DI Spicer is not convinced that the killer is a panther and looks for a human suspect, not an easy task when many people appear to be keeping secrets.

This is a good read, like a cross between a Daziel and Pascoe novel crossed with 'The Hound of the Baskervilles'! There's a good balance between the work on the investigation and Jon Spicer's home life, his wife having had a new baby and suffering from post-natal depression. It's nice that not all Detectives have to be socially inept and lonely.

I deducted one star because it wasn't as good as his earlier novels, but it's still worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Savagery Has Many Forms, 10 Feb 2008
This review is from: Savage Moon (Paperback)
What starts off as a who-dun-it gets spookier as it almost becomes a gothic horror with a hint of the supernatural, only to spring another surprise in a story that shows that savagery can take many forms. Mr Simms seems drawn to the darker corners of human nature. The idea that we live in a jungle never far from cruel behaviour is shown up in mystery thriller that grabs right from the beginning. I just hope he has lighter side to his life while he's giving the rest of us sleepless nights!

5.0 out of 5 stars A hit again, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Savage Moon (Kindle Edition)
Just finished yet another great DO Spicer book by Chris Simms. Think I can safely say I'm hooked. I highly recommend him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and Troubled, 29 Aug 2012
This review is from: Savage Moon (Paperback)
A well written and absorbing book, with an unusual departure at the end.

As if Saddleworth Moor does not have bleak enough associations for those of us who remember Brady and Hindley.

My one reservation is the inclusion of post natal depression, the detective's wife is a real pain in the rear, and her misery is in the wrong book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best so far..., 18 July 2011
This review is from: Savage Moon (Paperback)
This time adding some historical information to the plot and making the life of Jon Spicer have real problems that effect many in work life. Good to see rugby life is included again.
Even if you think you know the ending in the last few pages, you cannot put it down.
Need to have a rest from reading the books so I can be more sociable.
NT

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, 24 Jun 2011
This review is from: Savage Moon (Paperback)
Chris Simms is becoming my favourite author - this book is set around where I live - literally on the doorstep and I still check every night for a potential black panther in my garden !! His continual flow of suspense is amazing and his observations of Crime Lake,the River Medlock, Brookdale Golf Club (although he calls it Brookvale for possible legal reasons ) and the roads and view upto Saddleworth Moor are very accurate.
I read The Edge prior to Savage Moon and got a bit lost as to why the forensic expert was disturbed by going to moorland -now | know
Was good to see how Spicer is coping ( or not) with his "demotion" and new family life and how this intersperses with his police work
A Cut Adrift is his new one - must seek it out on paperback - Simms is the future - but read the Spicer novels in order of issue - makes like so much easier !!
But, ultimately,enjoy a new star - Spicer and his side kick Gay Rick are here to stay !!

Savage Moon
Savage Moon by Chris Simms (Paperback - 4 Sep 2008)
7.36