on 25 January 2008
As a massive fan of Erica James, I was not disappointed by her latest offering. It kept me gripped and I had to stop up reading till I had finished it when I got near the end. The characters were realistic and the story has stayed with me even after I have finished reading it. I would definitely recommend this book.
on 28 October 2007
Bought my copy at Edinburgh airport at the start of a long journey, have always enjoyed this author's stories, and this was no exception. Between sitting in four different airports, (pausing for aircraft meals and in flight dozing) the story kept me reading and helped the journeys pass very quickly.

Graphic description of the agony of child abuse, eccentric behaviour and the danger of hastily jumping to conculsions. These days most of us have seen the dramatic results of extremist behaviour, so the story kept me entralled in the heorine's world right to the last page.

Yes, it is a romance, of sorts, but much much more. I was in there with the characters right from the start.
on 14 May 2008
I loved this book. Yes, it is very different from all Erica James' previous novels, but the change is a good one. It is a less light-hearted, but that makes for an interesting and well-written story. The main character is instantly likeable and the story is gripping. I read it in a couple of days because I couldn't put it down. I have loved all Erica James' novels, but for me, this one is the best to date (certainly not putting the others down) and I am almost ready to re-read it. I highly recommend it for both those who have tried Erica James before and those who have not.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 October 2007
I have to say that as an avid reader ploughing through 3-4 books a week, I always look forward to Erica James new books. Yes it is on the slightly romantic side but this book is just as good if not better that her previous publications. The story gets you from the very beginning and you find yourself sympathising with the characters very quickly. Erica's books are always different and due to the fact that she doesn't churn them out every 5 minutes I find that I never get bored with her stories. They are always a great read and i would strongly recommend this to people who haven't read her books before.
on 21 January 2008
I'm a great fan of Erica James. Her novels combine romance and escapism with interesting relationships, which makes them thoughtful and more than escape. But this novel I found depressing and unconvincing. James has tried something new: combining romance with mystery and the grimmer side of family relationships.

Lydia is a sophisticated, sensitive Englishwoman in her 40s living in Venice. She trips and injures her foot when she sees the very image of her long lost lover. The body of the book goes back in time and traces how she met and lost this lover, starting back when she was about to turn 9. The bulk of the book is about her strange and grim childhood with abusive relatives, odd church people, and nasty classmates -- altogether making for a dark childhood. Not only do I not need to read about such dreadful, unredeemable people, but I couldn't see how someone with her background could turn out the way she did. The mystery part is fairly interesting, but somehow the book was unbalanced. I read it to the end, but found myself skipping parts. This is the only James novel that I will not keep to read a second time. I will still buy her next book, however.
on 28 December 2007
I had never heard of Erica James before, so when my parents bought me this novel for christmas I wasn't sure what to expect.
The novel drew me in from the start, and while it was horribly depressing at times, there were heart-warming moments that broke this up.
I was a little disappointed at the end because it felt like the conclusion was a little too rushed, there could have been a little more balance between the past and the present. Overall though a very stimulating read!
on 19 July 2008
I took this book on holiday as my beach read this year, and i had finished it within 2 days! It gripped me from the first chapter and i loved every second of it. The characters where so well formed and the storyline was amazingly gripping with several twists and turns. I like the fact the story began in the future and then the main chunk of the story was back to the main charcter's childhood. Honestely, one of the best books i've ever read. I'm now going to order all of her other books!
on 22 January 2016
I bought this book just before I headed to Venice, thinking I could read it just before and it would help get me in the mood for the place and maybe even suggest some places to visit. It turned out that it wasn't this kind of book at all. While it starts in Venice, most of the story is told in flashback in Yorkshire (about as un-Venice as you can get!). But even though it wasn't the book I was expecting, I was instantly sucked in, desperate to know Lydia's story and what really happened. It was a lot darker than I expected and heart-breaking in places but I was gripped. It was one of those books I finished in the early hours of the morning just because I'd rather finish it than actually sleep.
on 3 October 2010
This was the first Erica James novel I had read and my mother gave it to me, saying I would love it. And she was correct.
For me, it retold the story in a careful and sensitive way, alongside giving a detailed impression of what life in 1970s England was like.
The characters were well thought out but I would have liked a bit more detail about characters such as Sister Lottie and Joey, the Italian as I thought their characters weren't as developed as they perhaps could have been. This didn't detract from the story though and I was sad when I neared the end of the book; it made me want more.

I will certainly be finding other EJ novels to get stuck into.
on 13 July 2010
If this was the first book by Erica James that I'd read, I wouldn't bother with any others. It's terrible. It's too long, too melodramatic, too gloomy and too contrived. I don't know what possessed Erica James to depart from her usual genre of contemporary romantic fiction because most of this is set in the 1960s and 70s and concerns the life of a child between the ages of 8 and 18. I thought the story would be set in Venice but most of it takes place in a town somewhere in northern England.

I have read 11 other novels by Erica James and enjoyed every one - this is just a blip [a long a tedious one] and is not representative of her style.