5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read
This has to be one of the best autobiography's I have read. I am a huge formula one fan and it gives you an insight into how hard these drivers really push to get where they are now.
he may not be one of the front runners in formula one but any formula one fan should give this one a read.

5 stars - brilliant
Published on 3 July 2008 by Mr. James R. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad...but not great
As a Scot I really wanted to read this book because I was a fan of Coulthard....but it wasn't all I hoped for.

Published on 12 Jan 2010 by Mr. W. M. Riley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad...but not great, 12 Jan 2010
Mr. W. M. Riley "wmar67" (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Is What It Is: The Autobiography (Paperback)

I actually look at him in a different light. Not necessarily a bad light, but he's not up where I used to place him. I've always classed him as a mediocre driver with occasional sparks of brilliance. His book seems to show this, but then contradicts itself by saying he is brilliant. How HE got big names to go to Red Bull.

He came across as arrogant and yet humble. Normal and yet a legend. His dismissal of "normal" people (he mentions how it annoys him that his friend says "you have to try Skateboarding" or "you have to try snowboarding "- why would you let it annoy you that someone says that??) seems to come from the fact that a chunk of his childhood is missing. He doesn't seem to know how to interact with normal people and doesn't seem to be comfortable outside F1. I guess this is normal as he's been in racing for so long...but it's a shame that he's missed his childhood. Also his dad seems to come across as a "US mother of a pageant beauty queen"...pushing, pushing, pushing. But I guess if you're going to invest that kind of money in your son, then maybe you would be that pushy. Seems a shame though.

The main gripe I had with his book is his constant insistence to advertise it to me...there's no need David...I've got it...that's why I'm reading it. It just irked me almost the whole way through the book (and therefore made it an uphill struggle to enjoy it) that he continually says "It is what it is"...it's a simple thing and I'm sure it won't bother many people...but it amazed me how much it got on my nerves. From then on (well before halfway through) I was fighting to enjoy it.

Don't go expecting any inside info into the paddock world or F1...it's Coulthards book and he's writing about himself. This didn't annoy me because I knew it was going to be about him...just letting you know.

I have to give him credit though. Normally if I am disliking a book, I have no problems putting it down. But something about it made me want to read to the end. And I did - so I don't know...it is what it is, I guess!

I gave it 3 stars - took one away for his annoying promotion of the book within the book, and one away for seemingly being so contradictory in places.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read, 3 July 2008

5 stars - brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not usually a fan of sporting books BUT....., 26 Aug 2007
Symes (Southport, UK) - See all my reviews
...this has been a scintillating read.

I rarely read autobiographies, but a friend of mine encouraged me to buy this book. I tried desparately to borrow theirs to no avail ;)

Sporting books usually get left on the shelf after reading the first couple of pages, but I've been glued to this for the first six chapters- which is all I've had time to read since it arrived yesterday.

Buy this book - you'll enjoy it if you're a Formula One fan- its not the usual stuffy rubbish.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Is What a sporting autobiography should be., 13 Aug 2007
This must be one of the best written and most honest sporting biographies I have read. It's not just a list of races and achievements, but an honest insight into the life of a Formula 1 driver, with details of the women, the lifestyle, the plane crash, and an insiders view of the personalities from the world of Formula 1 racing.
A great read, not just for motor racing fans, but for anyone who wants an entertaining insight into the lifestyle of the rich and famous.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and refreshingly honest account, 26 Sep 2007
Chris Of The OT (South West of England) - See all my reviews
David Coulthard's autobiography, `It Is What It Is' constitutes a very informal, revealing look at his life. The note of honesty is sung from the outset when DC expresses his gratitude to his ghost writer, Martin Roach. He starts from his childhood and teenage years in the tiny Scottish town of Twynholm and extends all the way to the first six races of the 2007 F1 season.

On the racing side, DC includes interesting accounts of his hugely successful carting days, his experiences in Formula Ford (he says these cars were boring!), Formula 3 with Paul Stewart Racing and Le Mans (etc.). There is much said about his years at McLaren - obviously - and DC is candid and honest about his relationships with Ron Dennis and Mika Hakkinen. He also explains his feelings about entering F1 at such a terrible time (because he took the seat at Williams after Senna's fatal crash) and sheds some light on his current drive with Red Bull.

DC also reveals some pretty deep, occasionally shocking personal stuff too. (Including personal weaknesses - I've never read a driver be so "brutally" honest about himself.) And he deals openly with such tacky issues as the occasional tabloid "sexposé".

Things like relationships within F1, technical innovations (remember the McLaren `three pedal' revelation?) and team orders (remember Melbourne 1998 when DC moved over for Mika?) are fascinating. I really would have liked more about his F1 races specifically though, so had this book been 100 pages longer, I'd have been even more chuffed!

I enjoyed DC's autobiography. It's a much more satisfying read than Sid Watkins' `Life at the Limit' for instance, but not so exciting and inspirational as `Mansell' (though DC does reveal much more of himself). If you want to understand the man behind the wheel, or if you want an (honest) insight into modern F1, DC's book will fit the bill. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read for F1 fans!!, 16 Aug 2007
Having read other F1 drivers biographys Jenson Button and Eddie Irvine i was interested to get a behind the scenes look at what motivates Coulthard all these years later, and for me what the 9 years at Mclaren were realy like! The book comes over as an open and honest look at his climb to getting his F1 drive after the death of senna to his current drive with Red Bull Racing and those interesting 9 years at Mclaren for me the Mclaren years were the most revealing but sometimes not supprising! If your into F1 a must read. Im just waiting to see what Bernie has to say in his book out in October!

5.0 out of 5 stars Legend, 19 July 2014
This review is from: It Is What It Is: The Autobiography (Paperback)
I've only got in to f1 2 years ago and I watch it on bbc!i thought I would get this book to see what DC is really like!brilliant book!very funny and honest with some real private parts to his life!

I found it hard to put down and the sad thing is I read it to quick!

With all the money and fame he has endured he hasnt forgotten where he's came from!

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebrity Authobiography, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: It Is What It Is: The Autobiography (Paperback)
This is an interesting book for a former star driver. I supported David for over 8 years. I started to watch F1 in 2000. I'd like to recommend for all F1 fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars DC, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: It Is What It Is: The Autobiography (Paperback)
Excellent - a great book. Have followed DC all his racing career and It Is What It Is told by the man himself

2.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 27 Nov 2013
David Beard "DABgp" (Preston UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Is What It Is: The Autobiography (Paperback)
Oh dear, what a disappointment. DC comes over very well as a commentator these days, but you would never believe he could be so erudite going by this rambling jumble. Perhaps the ghost writer is to blame: he seems to have taken things over entirely. Would DC really write "I was like " before saying what he said? He might speak that way, but write it? And are so many expletives included to promote some sort of rock and roll image? Seemed fitting in Keith Richard's wonderful autobiog. but not here.
The early life in his home village was interesting, especially since I know the area well, as were the early days of karting and the lesser formulae. But the lengthy self indulgent debate about whether he was a "ladies man" or not was tedious in the extreme, as were the other attempts at self analysis. He doesn't paint a good picture of himself...

A little more motor sport, less self indulgent tosh, if this is to be updated to cover the retirement from racing and subsequent TV career, please! And write it yourself, DC!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

It Is What It Is: The Autobiography
It Is What It Is: The Autobiography by David Coulthard (Paperback - 2 April 2008)
7.04