Published on 22 April 2011 by Laycock9

Published on 19 Sep 2007 by S. Parkinson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book for the F1 fan, 19 Sep 2007
S. Parkinson (England) - See all my reviews
I am a keen fan of F1 especially the business side of it. When this appeared at my local library I was over the moon. I found myself reading chapters out of order, simply because I wanted to know too much, too quickly and hence rushed it. It is a good book however, I was left a little disappointed at how it had been condensed (blame the publishers)down into easy to read chapters, rather than giving the reader all the information and more besides. I felt that if the book had been twice the number of pages, it still wouldn't have been enough detail into his life and business dealings. I got the feeling he could have written a book each on his dealings with the main characters of F1.

So if you want a easy to read, disposable book then it fits the bill but to me it was too superficial and short and left me wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars How do you make a small fortune in F1?....start with a large one, 22 April 2011
This review is from: An Independent Man: The Autobiography (Paperback)
Although Eddie Jordan may appear like a fool on the BBC, he truly has achieved a lot. Although his book is a bit slow to start, when he gets to the racing part of his life (most of it)its really enjoyable. I only have two warnings to make, Firstly, make sure your awake as he will say 5 names in a sentence and you have to remember them for most of the book. Secondly, if your quite young reading this (under 20) make sure you know you F1 history as he will make references to drivers (and it only makes sense if you know they won the championship etc). (I should point out it only really goes up to 2007.)

Overall a really good read with a good insight into the life of being a F1 team owner.

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest and likeable man, 27 Dec 2007
Kaz (Leamington Spa, UK) - See all my reviews
Eddie Jordan doesn't pull any punches here, and it was very refreshing to see how things are for the smaller teams in F1.

I always admired the team's spirit and it was a real eye-opener at times - some of his conclusions at the end of the book really struck a chord with me.

All in all, a really good read for the F1 fan, and a book that will take pride of place in my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ireland Goes Racing, 6 Mar 2011
Howard Wright (Tunbridge Wells, UK) - See all my reviews
I very much enjoyed this book. Not only has Jordan achieved an immense amount, he has done so with decency and respect for his colleagues and rivals. He writes with great warmth and honesty about so many people he could easily have slated. The book is not a classic, nor is it hugely detailed, but it is an excellent read which would be enjoyed by motor racing fans.

Jordan begins by describing how he started racing, how he suffered injuries in crashes, and how he persisted to a pretty high level before switching to running his own team. His team progresses, and eventually, he moves into F1. One of the things which stands out is the long list of personal relationships that he built with huge numbers of people - drivers, team members, competitors, sponsors, celebrities and royalty. I think that this is a mark of someone with a great love of people and friendship. Another thing which stands out is how he used his Irishness to approach motor racing in a different way to other teams, allowing him to achieve much more with significantly fewer resources, and to stand out from the crowd.

Jordan is a deal-maker, a wheeler dealer, a master networker, a marketeer of the first order, and someone with a real zest and energy for life.

As is normally the case with such high achievers, one gets the feeling that his family suffered from his absence, and he touches on this just once when he said that, after he had left F1, he told one of his daughters that he was a good dad, only for her to tell him that he had only just turned up. I think that it would have been nice to have learnt more about his family, but they are entitled to their privacy.

I strongly recommend this book. It is far from compendious on detail, but it conveys the passion, energy and spirit of Jordan and his F1 team very well. I think that a full history of Jordan and his racing life should be written by someone other than the main protagonist.

4.0 out of 5 stars An rnjoyable read, 22 Jun 2010
D. Richards (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
not really a review, just a quick word on the book.

Eddie Jordan has written a very engaging book that reveals much about formula 1,in terms of both the public image and its back room goings on. Its very easy to read and I found that my respect for Eddie and his honesty had gone up by the time I finished it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent read for any F1 fan, 21 Nov 2010
This review is from: An Independent Man: The Autobiography (Paperback)
I suspect I'm not the only F1 fan who bought Eddie Jordan's book as a result of him appearing regularly as a pundit on the F1 coverage - noticing some of the interesting input he is generally able to make as a former team owner, I was expecting an interesting read which would shed some light on what its like behind the scenes running an F1 team.

Thats probably how I would sum this book up - "interesting". Its not a classic, and there are a few moments where his story drags, but if you're an F1 fan and you're looking for a cheap read, you can't go too wrong with this one. Jordan is a character and a half and i some of his stories of just how much of a chancer he was at times make for quite an interesting read. One thing worth noting is that in his book, Jordan is arguably slightly less controversial than he has been as an on screen pundit, in terms of dishing out criticism that is (ie. when discussing most drivers that he had to sack/replace), so don't be expecting controversy from cover to cover.

The people who will almost definitely enjoy this book most are those who were hooked on Formula 1 during the Schumacher/Hakkinen era, as this book will no doubt bring back some great memories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: An Independent Man (Paperback)
Gives a good insight into the struggle he had creating a F1 team. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Slightly repetitive at times but when you consider how many races there are in a season, it is inevitable. Good non-the-less.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for F1 fans, 11 July 2012
Eddie Jordan has written this book with passion, he knows his subject and it shows it from the first page to the last. It is all about a man who was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth and his success was by working hard at a sport he loves. It is a must read for all F1 fans. Well done Eddie.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Independent Man: The Autobiography of Eddie Jordan, 15 Mar 2012
This Autobiography take a very deep and interesting look at a F1 teams trials and tribulations. Not to much about Eddie himself, but mor about Jordon Racing, which is just what I was expecting. well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eddie the wonderful, 13 Jan 2012
glynis (Arundel, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
What an enjoyable book. I've always liked Mr Jordan, and his story is one of humble beginnings to the god he is now. Very good read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

An Independent Man: The Autobiography
An Independent Man: The Autobiography by Eddie Jordan (Paperback - 15 May 2008)
7.61