5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent , entertaining, but above all honest, read., 7 April 2008
This review is from: Must The Show Go On? (Hardcover)
If you're looking for a salacious read this isn't it! However, Les Dennis discusses his painful and humiliating break up with Amanda Holden in some detail, so if that's what you're interested in ..it's there. It's not what I was interested in though. I wanted to know how he survived 16 years of "Family Fortunes" without strangling a contestant and how he managed to survive over thirty years in the mires of show business and still be such a nice guy! Having read this book. I suspect the main reason is his down to earth and sensible parents.God bless 'em! The stories of his family and his upbringing in Liverpool are very touching. They also made me laugh a lot. Once he went professional there was simply no-one in British Light Entertainment Les didn't work with. It's a real who's who of Variety and an insight into the reality of "treading the boards" and in some cases falling over on them and staying there. Having to carry on doing his act at the front of the stage while Tommy Cooper was dying behind the back tabs, and having to go straight back on stage the night after his partner Dustin Gee passed away are some of the reasons behind the title "Must the show go on" An older, wiser Les thinks not. The thing about most celeb autobiographies is that they never ever take any sort of responsibility for their actions. It's always someone else's fault. This one's different. Les Dennis puts his hand up and admits his shortcomings. The failure of his first marriage was entirely down to him and his addiction to celebrity. His ability to look inside himself is what marks this book out from the crowd. The bravery of his appearance on "Extras" will stay with me for some time. Oh and did I mention... it's very funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, 30 April 2008
J. S. Benson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Must The Show Go On? (Hardcover)
I read this book by accident, what I mean is my wife was reading it and didn't seem to be able to put it down so when she finally did (after about 2 days of solid reading) I seized the moment.

It is a surprisingly honest book and not the sort one would necessarily expect from a household name, however, bear in mind that this is someone who has gone from starring in top West End musicals to talking to chickens in the Big Brother House and then allowing his public persona (and very public marriage) to be ripped to shreds by the media before making an incredible comeback as himself in Ricky Gervais' Extra's.

He has worked with so many well known celebrities that the book is like a who's who of british comedy. Les Dennis is an institution and this book will earn him new admirers whilst endearing him even more to the many fans that have stuck by him.

A really interesting, touching, and amusing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, Les!, 5 Aug 2008
This review is from: Must The Show Go On? (Hardcover)
I don't normally like reading autobiographies, however, I admire and respect Les Dennis and grew up watching him on TV so I wanted to read what he had to write.

This book is interesting, humourous, touching and ultimately uplifting as you learn about Les's rollercoaster ride through his successful and often turbulent career.

I had the pleasure of meeting Les on Family Fortunes. I used to be a copper in The Bill and we had a team competing against London's Burning (we lost. Grrrr!) and Les was charming, approachable and incredibly professional as he whizzed through a classy presenting masterclass.

This is a thoroughly entertaining read. Well done, Les.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple, honest and refreshing read, 9 May 2008
S. P. S. Windsor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Must The Show Go On? (Hardcover)
It is great to read something which is honest and strips away the TV persona which everyone thinks they see and assumes that we know the person.

It also portrays the fact that Les is simply a normal bloke who has had to deal with the difficulties of operating in a public life, and having his personal life exposed in the media in full.

The ability and difficulty to steer through living your life in public should never be underestimated - so it's a sobering thought for all of us who don't have to live in that way, especially when we criticise those in the public eye as we simply cannot comprehend it.

Les has written this book from a perspective that he is (and we are all) fallible and human so it's not pretentious in any way. A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Must The Show Go On? (Hardcover)
I purchased the Les Dennis autobiography, after learning on the website it was a very good read! I was not disappointed!
I really enjoyed the book! Les is very honest, I thoroughly recommend! I would also like to commend the seller, the book arrived promptly and for a used copy, was in excellent condition, I will be buying again from this website!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charmingly endearing, 12 May 2008
This review is from: Must The Show Go On? (Hardcover)
Les Dennis has written a very moving account of his turbulent life, a life full of ups and downs, of laughter and regret.. I have read many "honest" autobiographies, but none have moved me as this book has. There is no pretence, no drama, just an honest-to-goodness account of Les' very difficult experiences. He travels painfully from young boy to adulthood and takes the reader with him all the way. Les comes over as a charming and forgiving human being and gives us a real insight into the "real" man.

May he be blessed with many, many years of happiness with his wonderful partner and daughter: he has clearly earned some peace!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 22 April 2008
J. wilkinson (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Must The Show Go On? (Hardcover)
At last, the chance to learn the only credible side of this man's amazing life written with admirable transparency. When you read this book you'll be touched by a very dignified, human side of a much-loved celebrity that has enabelled this man to cope with his life's roller coaster years and yet still remain a national treasure throughout. An extraordinary life story from an extraordinary man.

5.0 out of 5 stars les dennis, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Must The Show Go On? (Hardcover)
Brilliant set matters straight for Les have passed it on to other fans
Good insight into Les Dennis's feelings Wellstone Les

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Must The Show Go On? (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book, Les is very honest and I found this refreshing. His story was interesting from childhood. I did not need to wait till he started working to become engrossed, I hadn't realised just how diverse his career as an actor has been. He has had a very interesting life and his book was a lovely read, I wish him well for the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good read., 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Must The Show Go On? (Hardcover)
Although I found this book a good read I would have liked it to have gone into more detail about his career but on the whole It was quite interesting.

Must The Show Go On?
Must The Show Go On? by Les Dennis (Hardcover - 3 April 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01