5.0 out of 5 stars Half autobiography, half short stories
Published on 27 Sep 2008 by Mr. S. Harrison

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to books from George.
Sorry but after you have been through Game of Thrones in book and TV series it's going to take a lot to outdo them.
Published 2 months ago by Mr. Ivan C. Wellgreen

5.0 out of 5 stars Half autobiography, half short stories, 27 Sep 2008
This review is from: Dreamsongs: A RRetrospective: Bk. 1 (Gollancz) (Paperback)
This book is a great compilation of short stories from and incorporating a mix of genres by a fantastic writer, with a commentary/autobiography between different periods in his writing. The stories themselves are fun to read, but the book was so enthralling for me because of the autobiographical sections, which made the stories more engaging because of the insight into the writer's life, which in turn caused certain stories to be written.

Highly recommended for people who enjoy short stories, but beware if you think every story will be a small version of "A Song of Ice and Fire," the genres are more diverse than that, including horror and science fiction, as well as more traditional fantasy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for Dance with Dragons, 10 Jun 2011
David Appleby - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamsongs: A RRetrospective: Bk. 1 (Gollancz) (Paperback)
Agree with Big Jim, I have read A Song for Lya years ago, probably in Omni. There's a really good SF ghost story and the wonderful Ice Dragon is typical GRRM with sacrifice & hope. For fans of A Song of Ice & Fire, this a great time filler and you can see how he has recycled many ideas from previous works to create the stunning tapestry that is enthralling us all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I feared, 13 Jun 2012
This review is from: Dreamsongs: A RRetrospective: Bk. 1 (Gollancz) (Paperback)
First of all, I bought this book because I wanted to read "The Hedge Knight", a short story set in the world of Song of Fire and Ice. Therefore I was quite disappointed when the actual story wasn't in this book but in the 2nd half. Fortunately this book also had few very good stories so I don't feel I wasted money. Book is divided to five sections, each of which begins with GRRM's introduction about the time that chapter's books were written. First chapters cover his earliest works, which I fould fairly weak and boring. The last chapters, on the other hand, were great. Basically the book was very good as long you just ignored first half.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not all ice and fire you know, 16 April 2008
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dreamsongs: A RRetrospective: Bk. 1 (Gollancz) (Paperback)
Firstly let me say that I cannot compete with Blue Tyson's in depth review of the Red covered edition. As I have only purchased the blue covered book 1, I can only comment on that so here goes,...
Short stories - you either love them or hate them. I must admit that I am surprised that a book by an author with such a legion of fans hasn't had more reviews, even allowing for the confusing number of editions out there. Still, if you are a fan, you know that GRRM has turned his hand to many genres in the past, and that is exemplified in his shorter fiction. To be fair, his early published work is a bit clunky, but it is interesting to see how he has developed, and his between section summaries and biography are more interesting than I might have expected. If you had asked me if I had read any of GRRM's short stories before getting this book I would have said "No", but on reading some of these, for example "A song for Lya" I realise that I must have done because they appeared in the various SF magazines that were ubiquitous in the late seventies/early 80's such as Omni and Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine - which are sadly now either defunct or incredibly difficult to get hold of. So all in all an eclectic and interesting collection well worth devouring in one hit or dipping into between other books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to books from George., 5 May 2014
Mr. Ivan C. Wellgreen (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting record of author's development, 25 May 2013
Dr. G. Page - See all my reviews
Some of the early work is a bit disappointing, but most are fascinating in their own right. An interesting chart of the maturing of an author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreamsong, 10 Oct 2011
This review is from: Dreamsongs: A RRetrospective: Bk. 1 (Gollancz) (Paperback)
This book came in plenty of time and was a good price, if you like Martin and the other Dreamsong book you will like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Early GRRM, 2 May 2013
This is " Dream Songs Vol.1 ." It is a rretrospective ( like the RR!) selection of GRRMs early work, mostly short stories, but also novellas.

As it runs to over 600 pages, I have not read all at this time;
However I have read the Novella " A Song For Lya. "
GRRM won a ' Hugo ' for this piece.

It covers themes of man-woman relationships. What do we mean by love? Do we really give enough of ourselves?
Also the complex theme of what is life. Why do we strive, if at death we stand on a ' black empty plain, ' or is there more?

A deeply engaging read, made more poignant, when we learn that this story was written in the aftermath of a real love affair.
Buy and engage in George Martin's world and perhaps pick up a few 'Game Of Thrones ' along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife is a big fan., 5 Dec 2012
J. Higham "Jack Higham" (Warrington Cheshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamsongs: A RRetrospective: Bk. 1 (Gollancz) (Paperback)
Since the Game of Thrones came on TV my wife has been a huge fan of Mr Martin's novels and tells me about different parts of the story. If you liked the movies you will probably like the books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Autobiographical account of his earlier work, 24 Sep 2012
Please note this isn't a review of the Kindle edition merely a balancing review of this work, which as a book I found interesting if not spellbinding.

Dreamsongs is a collection of his earlier work progressing from when he first started writing to his work prior to The Game of Thrones. It is written with autobiographical passages, it is not a "new" story, it was never meant to be. To be fair to George the clue is in the title, a "RRetrospective".

Dreamsongs: A RRetrospective: Bk. 1 (Gollancz)
Dreamsongs: A RRetrospective: Bk. 1 (Gollancz) by George R.R. Martin (Paperback - 13 Mar 2008)
6.99