Format: PaperbackChange

on 10 April 2012
Goodkind has done it again. What an imagination! An unstoppably good read. The stories are superb and brilliantly written.

As I had previously stated before, I started to read the Sword of Truth series after watching the tv series and wanted to see if the books could be better, the answer continues to be yes. The Blood of the Fold is an exciting read and revolves mostly around the central characters, Richard, Khalen and Zedd. Goodkind could carry on with the same style that has been seen in the previous books, but once again he changes the rhythm of the storyline and gives you more action and suspense. The new order are now the new enemy and bring a new meaning to cruelty and torture.

If you like fantasy adventure books then you will be overwhelmed when reading the series and sure to like this one. The development of the characters is first rate as is the story line. I would strongly recommend this series to anyone with an open imagination; it is one book that cannot be easily put down.

The characters however fantastic leap into life and enthrall the reader with the detail and variety of their personalities. So many different facets to this and the other books. I have already started the next one in the series.
VINE VOICEon 16 January 2012
Goodkind shows no fear in creating sweeping epic struggles in this series and the ante is upped once again, where the evil of two power hungry leaders bear down upon Richard Cypher and his companions. Each faction has its own diabolical designs upon the Middle Kingdoms and there are very few new additions for the cast, which makes it easy to pick this up and engage with the story early on (as long as you are reading the Sword of Truth series in order).

As before, Goodkind creates a large scale war, whilst concentrating upon the parts played by the figureheads and their fated paths. Blood of the Fold offers a compelling plot, however there are a few unconvincing and improbable contrivances that derail its best intentions. Existing readers will understand that the author is prepared to stretch their belief in exchange for plot twists and opportunities to add action to the story. Near the end there is so much happening it feels like a Director's Cut, with alternative endings being played simultaneously.

Criticisms aside, Blood of the Fold is certainly entertaining and offers some unique twists on the busy fantasy genre. Strong narrative and engaging characters make this a lengthy, yet worthwhile, read.
on 20 June 2002
Having read Wizards First Rule and Stone of Tears in a week-end I was eager to continue the saga, and was not disappointed. The story carries on well from Stone of Tears and quickly your in the thick of the action. One thing I like about the Sword of Truth series is that each book stands well on its own. True, you ought to read them in order, but you don't have to pick up the next one to see what happens, each is a complete story. I also found the ending exciting and well written (unlike other authors where the ending seems to 'go off on one' so to speak) matching the pace of the book.
My only grumble about the series is that almost all of the ideas are ripped off from Robert Jordans 'Wheel of Time'. Which if you have the time to wade through (nine books with ten on the way) is the best thing I've read. Each of Goodkinds books seem to introduce new Jordan concepts, so much so I found myself trying to predict the next one.
If you've not read Jordan your in for a treat, if you have then it will make your laugh ... but no matter what your in for a great ride.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 May 2013
I've found this book a very good read and I see no problem with Goodkind's style. The characters are interesting and in my opinion well-drawn,not in the least 'cardboard', and some, like Zedd and Cara, really stand out. I love Cara's unintenional humour and backtalk, like telling Richard if he gets killed trying to save the world she will break every bone in his body. Well, all the Mord-Sith are very good creations, ignoring Richard's orders and doing what they like, after of course telling him they have decided to be his bodyguards weather he likes it or not! I don't find Goodkind really all that long-winded, in this book anyway, no more so than many authors who use 'padding' to fill out a story, and overall I think the story moves along well enough, with any padding still related to the story. Many other works could be shorter if only the actual story-line was maintained, without sidetracking. I find no real evidence for political views being over stated, as some people claim, it seems to me it's just good guys v bad guys. Yes, you could see the Imperial Order being just totalitarian communists in ancient dress, but you could say the same for the Galactic Empire in Star Wars. If you want to find political views you could do so in most writers works, Charles Dickens was full of it for example, since few authors are going to write in favour of something they don't like or beleive in. I don't think the violence is overstated, after all it is set in a violent age, and injury by sword for example was very nasty. It was not 1950's Prince Valiant TV show,no blood and we all fall down and look pretty, by a long way. Fights back then resulted in heads and arms off, guts hanging out and buckets of blood, so Goodkind's descriptions are true to life. Weather or not you want to read it is of course up to you, but he doesn't overstate it. I like his strong female characters, Kahlan, the Mord-Sith, ect, who don't always need the big strong man to help them, and he does come up with some really nasty evil characters, Jagang for example. Overall I think this book, and others in the Sword of Truth series, make for an entertaining read. It is fantasy after all. Anything goes when you are in the world of wizards, talking dragons, magic fire, spells, 7 foot tall freindly flying monsters and so on. As Zedd would say, Bags, that's toasted toads true!
on 23 August 2012
It took a while, but I finally figured what bothers me about Terry Goodkind's writing, more specifically in relation to The Sword of Truth series. He takes too long to recap (or in the case of Wizard's First Rule, set the scene).

The first few chapters of the three books I've read so far always seem devoted to setting the scene (explaining the history of the lands etc) or reminding the reader what happened last time. This wouldn't be so bad if time had elapsed since I last picked up a Sword of Truth book, but when I've just finished reading whichever book came before, it gets tiring. These books always pick up the pace right at the end. You have to persevere through the drabble at the beginning in order to get to the action.

When you do get to the latter half of the book, the action feels rushed and squeezed in. The consequence is that you're left longing for more. You want to read on, so you do, only the next book has the "recap curse".

It's not all bad. I adore Richard and Kahlan. Seeing Verna grow through Blood of the Fold is delightful. The plot is twisting and frustrating, but in a way it's meant to be, especially with the introduction of the Fold and Imperial Order proper. There is a clash of interest and you can't help but urge Richard on to make the right choice, at whatever cost. Seeing some Mord-Sith attach themselves to Richard was brilliant. The women really are something to behold.

As it stands, I find that Wizard's First Rule and Stone of Tears have Blood of the Fold beat on content and plot. They go together hand in glove, completing a nice little arch. Blood of the Fold is setting the scene for future trials and problems, making it feel slower and sluggish, but I'm still invested in all these characters. We'll have to see how the rest of the series pans out.
on 8 August 2010
Having not long finished this the third of the series I can honestly say that I am even more eagere to continue with this enthralling series.

The development of the characters is first rate as is the story line. This saga just keeps on pulling you along at a breakneck speed with numerous twists and turns and sub-plots.

I would strongly reccomend this series to anyone with an open imagination, a good deal of time,( this cannot be easily put down), and a stout heart.
on 19 October 2001
I was recommended Wizards First Rule a few years ago but found it a pure rip off of other fantasy series, most notably RJ's Wheel of Time series.

In between other books I did squeeze in book 2 - Stone of Tears ? - but again was not particurlarly impressed. However I have recently read Blood of the Fold and for me it was the best in the series so far. It has probably been 2 years or so since I read S of T, so any rehash of previous storylines probably enhanced the enjoyment of the current instalment rather than hindered it as other readers have complained of.
I will probably wait a while before buying the 4th book in the series but I am looking forward to reading this one rather than reading it because, well I've read the others....
on 9 January 2014
Having read the first two books of the series I was really looking forward to getting right into the third and the ongoing journeys of Richard, Kahlan, Zedd and some of the others.
The book again picks up immediately where the last finished (as I presume by now they all will), and again started off at a good pace and had me hooked and wanting to keep reading. Without giving anything away, I did enjoy this book as it felt connected and helped develop the story further and the unfolding future of each of the characters, although it did start to feel a little repetitive when having to go over all the old ground again and explain some of the back story for the second time, for the uneducated who maybe hadn't read the story from the start.
Overall though I will not complain as I was happy enough with the story and apart from the spelling errors and doubling up of words that I am starting to believe must be a kindle edition issue, I recommend that if like me you are getting into the series, this another good one from TG. Let's hope this continues!
VINE VOICEon 23 January 2011
An excellent compelling read, the 3rd in the epic saga about Richard Rahl, Zed, Cara and Kahlan....
Had to force myself to put it down. Too many nights sat up to 3am because I didn't notice the time passing. Wonderful. When finished I instantly wanted to sit and read the next in the series
on 18 August 2013
These books keep on drawing the reader in and the introduction and development of new characters ensures that the reader continues to invest in their future. Relevant facts from the previous books are cleverly woven into the narrative so that each individual book can be thoroughly enjoyed!