4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy addition to the series
I must admit, I was a little disappointed with 'Soul of the Fire,' and thought perhaps that the series was waning. Not so. 'Faith of the Fallen' returns with the distinctive imaginative flair that has become Goodkind's trademark.
Published on 2 Nov 2000 by Daniel Woods

3.0 out of 5 stars The series is slowing down...
Published on 12 Sep 2000 by ezorick@essex.ac.uk

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy addition to the series, 2 Nov 2000
Daniel Woods (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This installment in the series sees Richard captured and separated from Kahlan and dragged into the very heart of the Old World. Meanwhile, Kahlan holds the D'Haran armies together as they fight a hopeless battle against the advancing hordes of the Imperial Order.
The writing and story leans away from the increasing 'touchie-feelie' nature of the previous books, a change which I personally found heartening; Richard and Kahlan's near constant professions of love were beginning to detract from the quality of the story. Goodkind's personal political beliefs seem to play a part in the depiction of the Imperial Order's homeland, heavily communist as it is. In my opinion, however, this only strengthens the quality of the book, painting a more believable picture of a foe that previously had remained a largely unknown quantity.
Why not five stars? It's not the sweeping type of epic fantasy found in 'Wizards First Rule,' 'The Stone of Tears' or 'Temple of the Winds.' Some of the material seems a little re-hashed (Kahlan leading an outmatched army against the Order? That seems familiar...), and nothing really new appears.
But it's still excellent. The writing style remains fluid, the new and existing characters are still believable and deep, and the series looks to be back on form. Looking forward to the seventh!

5.0 out of 5 stars PLease draw this series to a close Terry!, 21 Nov 2001
Cr Gibbs "clivegibbs" (uk) - See all my reviews
I have read a few reviews of Faith of the Fallen on fans' websites & it is regarded by many as the finest in the series. I do not agree with that. I believe that it is definitely the most experimental, but fails to work as a single story, working rather as two totally separate stories that are forced together via a string of unbelievable coincidences in at attempt to close this chapter of the story. One side of the story, that of Nicci and Richard is as intruiging as it is refreshing. Nicci's complex character provokes emotion and thought. The Old World is based on a Soviet inspired communism failing individualism and creative thought. This is a new theme for the series & works well. However, the other part of the story, that of Kahlan and the war in the New World, offered nothing but more of the same boring stories about how Kahlan can do battle with thousands of hardened soldiers and never lose. It has become dull & with the news that the series is to be continued for another three books at least, that side of the story threatens to become more & more tired.
Also, one of the best characters, Zedd is reduced to little more than a dull magician, with nothing that sets him apart as an interesting character anymore.
This book, although enjoyable, should have been the final part of the story. It now appears that Goodkind does not know where to take the plot, rather to drag it out as long as possible - it's a safe bet after all.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Episode In The Sword Of Truth, 10 Oct 2000
By A Customer
I think the main problem with this series is that Terry Goodking is telling the story in a series of episodes rather than a World-Building book in the usual fantasy big saga mould. Each book introduces new bad guys and new 'friends' and normally wraps up their story within the bounds of the book. It is a bit like Buffy and Star Trek - they both rely on very basic plots and then use characterisation to fill in the gaps. Something like the Wheel Of Time is there to create a living breathing world.
Temple Of The Winds and Soul Of the Fire were very bad episodes in this saga, and I did actually look at reviews before buying this book, and then only when I saw it for 8 at a local bookshop. Personally, I did enjoy the pseudo communism - a rare thing to have dealt with in normal western fantasy. I think some reviewers have taken it a tad too seriously.
The only thing that I would say is that, even though I found this a very enjoyable book, there is nothing in the ending that even remotely makes me think "another year to the next one... what will I do...". But I suppose that is the downfall o an episodic series with a years gap in between.

5.0 out of 5 stars How can anyone not like this book, 20 Feb 2001
This review is from: Faith of the Fallen (Paperback)
I am amazed that anyone could rate this book as anything but brilliant. I thought this book reached new heights from the other books, delving right into the characters and bringing out more emotion than I thought possible from fictional beings. When I was reading the final chapters as everyone was looking at the statue Richard had carved 'Flesh in stone' I actually felt just the one tear roll down my face. Also earlier on I found myself fuming at Nikki and everyone in the Old World, thinking how can they be so stupid as to think that they should give everything they have to the poor, to the point where they just become the poor, and the Workers couldn't work because it wouldn't be fair on the other workers who haven't finished mending their carts yet - it's just pathetic.
As you can see I got rather wound up by these people in the book, and it takes me a lot to get wound up in the real world, so I believe Terry must have done a brilliant job to affect me so in a fictional world.
And just for the record - I didn't think Soul of the Fire was that bad either.
Stop moaning everyone, and just enjoy the fantastic story!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitions, 15 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This book is, to my view, very well written, with two purposes in mind. Firstly, it is to show the balancing of Richards character; heretofore in the series, Richard had been very impetuous in his actions, killing anything that threatened himself, those he loved and where he lived. In Faith of the Fallen, he exercises more wisdom and comes to a realisation of himself and the nature of the enemy he fights. The second purpose of this book is to show the reality of war, and in particular, what Kahlan, Zedd and company will do to save the people of the New World. Previously in the series, the characters have fought, but these are skirmishes in the greater war: we see the characters use every nuance of their experience and power to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds. As for the opinion that the books are different, slower, let us consider this: as a series progresses, does a character remain unchanged and unchangeable? Faith of the Fallen is testament to the nature of mankind and also to the burgeoning skills of Terry Goodkind. Keep this series coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Goodkind at his best!, 6 Mar 2001
This review is from: Faith of the Fallen (Paperback)
When i started to read this book I found that it started slow as in all Goodkind books but i knew this so I kept going and oh my god this was brilliant. It is a change from the normal killing that I like in his books. It has really well written story line and you can tell that it has been thought out in advance in great detail. This book kept me so hooked that I did not put I down my college work was ignored so I could read this book. It is a huge contrast from his last book and so many twists in the tail. In fact I may read this book again. I rate every book I read to Lord of the rings and this book I can't rate I have to rate the whole saga to the lord of the rings sage and I would say that this comes a good 9/10. This is the best run of books from an author since Tolkien. Make sure you READ THESE BOOKS IN ORDER and don't give up with them, just when your thinking about putting it down something happens. READ IT

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant continuation of the story., 18 Feb 2001
hmarc341@aol.com (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faith of the Fallen (Paperback)
Terry Goodkind is getting better and better, I have had a really hard job putting this book down and an even harder time from my family through reading it at every opportunity.
I like the way Richard has been dragged away from the Midlands but is able to start the struggle at the very heart of the Order's empire, not through overt action but by just being The Seeker of Truth. Terry Goodkind appears to be one of those lucky authors who can conjour up a whole world with his writing and transport the reader to that world, thanks Terry.I am really looking forward to the next book ( though I'm not sure anyone else in my family is !!!!!) so come on Terry next one please.

3.0 out of 5 stars The series is slowing down..., 12 Sep 2000
I was eagerly looking forward to the latest in this series, one which I really enjoy. Unfortunately, this installment like the previous one, Soul of the Fire, is beginning to lose focus. There just isn't much plot development in this book. It feels like Goodkind took 500+ pages to write half the story. Also missing was much in the way of development of the world, no interesting new magical curiousities, new places, etc. Also, the right-wing libertarian/capitalist flag-waving was very tiring. I mostly agree with his sentiments, but they are portrayed so simplistically and grossly that it is really tiresome. It is also completely unnecessary for the story. What is it about the latest series of fantsay epics (notably the Wheel of Time) that authors get going well, then feel that they have to drag things out at the end? One interesting thing about the Sword of Truth series was it was constantly changing and inventing, now it is becoming rather stagnant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back on Form, 7 Jan 2001
I have to admit I was a little dissapointed by 'Soul of The Fire', I just couldn't get into it and I was worried that 'Faith of the Fallen' would be more of the same but I am so glad I was wrong. Its not the same in style as the earlier books but it is just as good he has taken the books to another level. Admittedly some of the themes for the imperial order and Nicci don't quite tally to the earlier books but I loved it, I just couldn't put it down. Come on Terry I want the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars what an improvement!, 12 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This time Terry has wasted no time in getting to the story, Richards character is shown to the full, and kahlan has proven that she can lead and take charge. The plot has expanded, meaning that the next book is going to be even more exciting. His previous book is nothing compare to this, Terry is back on track on creating a story that might even rival Robert Jordan. This is the best book of the entire series, read this and you will not be dissapointed!

Faith of the Fallen (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Faith of the Fallen (GOLLANCZ S.F.) by Terry Goodkind (Paperback - 10 July 2008)
7.69