4.0 out of 5 stars How much tinned food do you have?
I love Alex Scarrow's brother's (Simon) Roman novels and I discovered Alex via Simons website while seeing if there was another Macro & Cato coming soo. What I found- a thousand suns- was a pretty good pageturner set in WW2 & the present day. Not a book that made me think by any means but well worth reading.

'Last Light' is different, not least because its set...
Published on 13 Aug 2007 by Peter Symonds

3.0 out of 5 stars Great and thought provoking idea but not quite the real deal
There's no doubt that Alex Scarrow researched the Peak Oil topic at length to the point where he seems to have become an evangelist on the subject.

The threats of the issues Scarrow addresses are well, and poignantly made, which makes you wonder especially with some of the Middle East States in some degree of turmoil.

So full credit to Scarrow for...
Published on 22 Mar 2011 by Jonathan Clark

‹ Previous | 19 10 1115 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A glimpse of the future, maybe., 2 Dec 2007
Clive Willet "Clive Willet" (Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Light (Hardcover)
The end of civilization (as we know it), the oil dries up. The action concentrates on the 'Sutherland Family', Andy in Iraq, with the rest in England. Andy Sutherland goes from 'War Zone' to the energy-starved anarchic society which remained. At the same time Andy's daughter Leona is stalked by the dangerous and mysterious Mr Ash. The tension is tangible and is evident through this thriller. Well-worth the reading experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars One for the post-crash compost heap, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Last Light (Paperback)
I bought this book (and the sequel Afterlight) as part of a research project into post-apocalypse novels. The blurb promoting the book paints a picture of a world brought to a standstill by a critical drop in oil production, with all the ensuing chaos of civil collapse, food shortages and disease epidemics. At first glance, it sounded interesting.

However the book turned out to be a massive disappointment. Although the early pages - which document the beginning of the crisis through the eyes of a family living in London - started off quite promisingly, the story quickly becomes an endless sequence of implausible coincidences and convenient circumstances populated by cardboard characters devoid of any personality or the slightest redeeming features.

I tried hard to think of anything positive to say that might acknowledge the work undertaken by the author in writing this book, but all I saw here was a dime-novel writer who jumped on the peak-oil bandwaggon because he anticipated the story might sell. Unfortunately, Last Light is just unremittingly poor.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, 30 Mar 2010
This review is from: Last Light (Paperback)
I have been looking for books with a post-apocalyptic theme and, having already read 'Last Light' a few months ago, was totally amazed to see it here on Amazon with such a high rating.

This is the only book I have ever read which made me want to write a letter of complaint to the author. It is so bad I wanted to cry. In fact, the only reason you should spend your hard-earned on this book is if you want to laugh at how badly written it is.

You know when you see a great trailer for a film, then you watch the film and realise you've been had? This is the literary equivalent. The characters are annoying, borderline hateful. It's set-piece after set piece. Oh no, we're getting mugged! Oh no, we're locked in a supermarket and there's a mob outside! Oh no, there's a weird assassin hiding in the kitchen! It's just daft.

Alex Scarrow named the boy in the book after his own kid (to whom he dedicates the book) and that was really distracting because it's as though you're hearing someone just going on and on about their kid when you just don't care.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much., 11 Mar 2010
This review is from: Last Light (Hardcover)
What a great concept and scary squandered with trashy story and weak implausible characters. What should have been a wake call about the future we all face becomes a lame drifting story. I would not recommend. I feel betrayed and disappointed by what could have been a realistic and gripping glance at the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Light, 2 Sep 2007
This review is from: Last Light (Hardcover)
Fantastic book. Would make an excellent film. this is a book that could become harsh reality if we are not careful! This will be difficult to follow but I am looking forward to the next work from Alex Scarrow. John

2.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced but reads more like a tv script, 14 Jun 2011
TheProf (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Last Light (Kindle Edition)
There are some good points about this novel. It explores an interesting premise - that an apocalyptic world would ensue if terrorist attacks decimated the oil supply to nations such as the UK. I am sure that the scenario outlined is probably quite likely. The rapid decay of law and order portrayed here, with life becoming a savage Darwinian struggle for survival of the fittest seems entirely plausible, as does the inadequacy of the state to help the populace through such a crisis. So full marks for the author for doing his homework. Yes it's fast paced, and yes, it is exciting. So credit where credit is due. Reading this is the literary equivalent of watching one of the more action-packed episodes of '24'. So far, so good. BUT, how does this work as a novel, as a piece of fiction? While the overall theme is interesting (most post-apocalyptic scenarios are intrinsically interesting), various aspects of the book fall apart under scrutiny. The break neck speed of story-telling comes at the expense of things that I would take for granted in a novel which has received such praise from other reviewers: quality of dialogue, character development, quality of prose, complexity and plausability of plot features. I am sure this would make quite a good mini series for TV or TV movie, but the way it is written leaves much to be desired. I really felt that I had learned little about the protagonist or other main characters in the book, other than facts - i.e. their personal histories. The psychological make-up of the main characters was sorely under-developed. In terms of plot, there were some inreresting and exciting moments but nothing to compare with the truly great thrillers or the work of Ludlum and others - the Jason Bourne books, for example, are streets ahead. The biggest annoyance is that the author never really explains the big conspiracy behind the main plot events fully, leaving the reader frustrated by the end. Many of the plot twists and turns were really not that original - many post-apocalyptic novels and films have already explored these themes before, whether it be society quickly descending into anarchic rape, pillage and murder, or a government that more or less abandons its people (anyone remember the nuclear holocaust tv movie "Threads" ?). I think the author needs to slow down his pacing a bit and take time to better flesh out his environments and characters. To me, this is otherwise fiction for the MTV generation - for those who don't have the patience to turn 20 pages before the next big plot event.

5.0 out of 5 stars Science prediction or science fiction?, 29 July 2007
F. Meek (New Haven, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Last Light (Hardcover)
Well, I finished Last Light yesterday and I can unreservedly recommend it to all those who like 'end of the world' novels. Without doubt this is an action novel, it follows the trials of one family through the collapse of civilisation and shows us just how hard survival through a hard crash would be. There is no 'happy ever after' ending to this book.

There are several strands to the novel, the father (an oil engineer) has to fight his way back to the UK from Iraq, the mother, daughter and son actually live through the crash in the UK (this was my favourite part of the book) and there is also a global conspiracy sub-plot that adds to, rather than taking away from, the main plot. The author manages to get in quite a bit of Peak Oil related discussion via the father, Andy Sutherland, without it ever being forced and I think that any 'average' reader would come away from reading this book with a completely altered perception of the invincibility of Western civilisation - this is actually a hope of Alex Scarrow's as expressed in his endpiece.

Obviously Last Light is fiction but it still managed to send shivers down my spine on several occasions. Buy this book - it will certainly make you think hard about the fragility of 21st century civilisation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Promising idea but rubbish novel, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Last Light (Paperback)
I was recommended this by a colleague who knows I like post apocalyptic, end of the world stuff. After a promising couple of chapters I found myself skipping through entire chapters (the Iraq based ones mainly...I get it, I get it. No need to keep going for another 70 pages) and found myself cringing at the cut and dry class divide descriptions. Cardboard cut out working class characters were like caricatures from an 'Enid Bylton with mild swearing' era and were from 'estates' or in teenage gangs, had tattoos, peroxide hair, rough accents and generally tried to rape, kill and eat people after 24 hours of no oil. Rubbish.
I get the idea that civilisation could and probably would go belly up in this situation but I found the way this book played it out ridiculous and to be honest I didn't care about any of the characters and their stupid decisions.
I'd avoid it. Read The Road, The Stand or The Passage instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: Last Light (Paperback)
This was a well written end of civilisation novel. It outlines what would happen to our urban life if its main source of energy, oil, stopped, ie riots, looting, murder etc. In reality the oil supply isn't going to dry up overnight, but it is going to get more expensive(read about Peak Oil), the events described in this book could happen but spread out over a much longer time period. But hey, its fiction!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 review - I know why :), 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: Last Light (Paperback)
I read this book about 1 year ago (don't know why it took me so long to review it :O ) and it sparked my love for the post-apocalyptic fiction and generated an interest in survivalism. Scarrow writes in a clear and concise manner that makes for quick progress through the story, he also draws on parts of society that I could easily relate to - which I guess added to the "realism" of the story. Read up on "peak-oil" before you get this book delivered and it'll add an extra dimension to the story, also have a look at some of the survivalist blogs online (bearing in mind some of them are crazy)I've now read all of Scarrow's work with the exception of the Time-Riders series which is on my list for this summer.

‹ Previous | 19 10 1115 | Next ›

Last Light
Last Light by Alex Scarrow (Hardcover - 25 July 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01