5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly Dark
October Skies is another exceptional thriller from Alex Scarrow, he is book by book establishing himself as one of the best thriller writers around.
Check out his other titles Last Light & A Thousand Suns
His use of the time slip style is second to none, each chapter building the story and tension until the amazing conclusion. The mark of a good thriller writer...
Published on 12 Jun. 2011 by Parm

3.0 out of 5 stars overly long, and quite repetitive
Overly long, and quite repetitive. I had as much interest in the modern day part of the storyline as in the latter day part, unfortunately the modern day part was fairly superficial. The dual personality part of the storyline was not really to my liking.

Should add that I have thoroughly enjoyed all other books that I have read from this author. I started...
Published 12 months ago by ESES

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 4 Dec. 2009
Dollywagon (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: October Skies (Paperback)
Having already read (and enjoyed) Alex Scarrow's Last Light, I bought October Skies wondering if I was going to be disappointed. Not so. Each page left me wanting to know more and at no point did I start glancing at the page numbers to calculate how many I'd got left to struggle through.
The plot from the start is intriguing and the choice of setting gives the author much scope in building a picture for the reader of an inhospitable and dangerous environment. His characters are well built and the dialogue in particular flows easily allowing you to believe in each and every one of them.
If however, you are one of those people that feel all politicians are altruistic, sociopaths are rare creatures or that religions deserve to function unquestioned, then maybe, just maybe, this book isn't for you, but then again it is a cracking good read and if nothing else can be enjoyed purely for its entertainment value which I assure you is very high!

5.0 out of 5 stars First time to Scarrow.....won't be the last., 28 Dec. 2008
This review is from: October Skies (Paperback)
I have a love of books that cross time periods. I especially enjoy the "found item...relate to the present" style of plot. As such, my wife clearly thought it would fit the bill as a Christmas present.
She was SO right.
I started reading Christmas Day, and finished it on Boxing Day. At the end, I had the same feeling as when I discovered the books of Matthew Reilly a few years ago.... a sense of "wow.....what a roller coaster"!
And I have to say with due respect to Mr Reilly, that whilst Scarrow's book has the same fast paced, let your imagination rip, page turning style.... the characterisation, and turn of phrase is undoubtedly stronger.
I care about character....and when I feel the character's come to life....or feel saddened by a loss etc etc...then it means the book has gotten to me.
October Skies has it in spades.
If you like this "type" of book....you won't find better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 11 Mar. 2010
J.Flood (Dublin,Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: October Skies (Paperback)
A group of settlers goes missing in the snow covered Sierra Nevada mountains, in the 1850s. In the present day, mediaman, Julian Cooke stumbles across the remains of wagon, and a diary, whilst film a documentary, in these mountains. As he starts to read the diary, and piece together what happened the settlers, it becomes apparent that someone in the present wants to keep a lid on what happened in the past.

I was hooked on this book from the first few pages. I found the parts of the novel set in the 1850s really creepy and atmospheric, as the problems and a sense of mystery started to increse in the settlers isolated, snow covered camp. The modern day parts of the book were very good, also, as Julian, with the help of his colleague, Rose Whitley, start to uncover clues, about the settler's fate. It tied in nicely with the 1850s storyline. I would highly recommend reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars To use a cliche- "I Couldn't put it down!", 27 Oct. 2009
This review is from: October Skies (Paperback)
I must admit, I had never heard of Alex Scarrow before last week but I am so glad that I decided to buy this book!

I won't describe the plot in detail as other reviewers already have. What I will say is that Scarrow has created an unusual set of protagonists who I actually cared about as I read through the novel. Julian and Rose are convincingly "normal" which makes them a breath of fresh air within this genre. The claustrophobia of the forest setting is wonderfully crafted by Scarrow. There are plenty of twists and turns and the dual narrative style is very effective.

It has been a while since I read a novel that I could describe as "unputdownable" but this actually was. This is a perfect novel for anyone who is a fan of the horror/thriller genre or has an interest in Frontier history. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend reading it, 6 Mar. 2015
This review is from: October Skies (Paperback)
Well written book. It kept me entertained throughout. I would recommend reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Chilling Suspense Thriller!, 30 Sept. 2008
I. Picornell (Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: October Skies (Paperback)
This is the most gripping suspense thriller I have read in a very long time. Based on the true story of a group of pioneers who disappeared under winter snows during their trek into the American wild west, the story moves backwards and forwards between the late 1800s and present time, when a small film crew discovers the remains of a wagon train whilst making a documentary on ghost stories of the area. Unbeknown to them, someone else is looking for the wagon train too, as its travellers carried with them relics of their religious beliefs, the discovery of which would have huge political repercussions in the current presidential election with the religious right.

The story is chilling in its actions, and grabs your attention chapter after chapter in which the suspense mounts, both in the present and the past. If you read just one book this autumn, it should be this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea but flawed, 4 Sept. 2009
Jonathan Clark "Great Black Hawk" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: October Skies (Paperback)
The idea behind this book was interesting.
The setting presented the author a rich vein of decsriptive text which was highly evocative.
There is increasing popularity with solving crimes buried in the past like "Waking the Dead" which has proved very popular.
This novel switched seamlessly from the 1850's to 2008 and this worked alot better than I imagined.
However it did become somewhat tedious at times and the main character Julian seemed a bit gormless.
For example the author introduced key clues during the book which Julian seemed slow to cotton on to and in some cases not at all.
There was also the incident with Dr Tom Grifiths which seemed to go completely undetected after the event happened.
It seemed like either superficial padding or the author not joining the dots.
I crawled to the end and whilst there was a final twist felt slightly let down by the end of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 29 Aug. 2008
This review is from: October Skies (Paperback)
"Remember those days when Stephen King used to write real horror/thriller stories?" If that sentence resonates for you then you will enjoy October Skies!

Alex Scarrow has written another book that I found hard to put down. The third novel from Alex and he goes from strength to strength, all three books are very different from each other in the story line but all share the same quality of plot and writing.

Buy it, as a third book your no longer just taking a punt on this author as he has truly established himself in his craft and October Skies won't disappoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars I read it in 24 hours!, 22 April 2010
Barb (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: October Skies (Paperback)
This is the best book I've read since the Kite Runner & Thousand Splendid Suns. The term 'un-putdownable' is an over used cliche but this book genuinely is! I picked it up from my bookshelf (where it had languished in my queue for 6 months) and read it in less than a day. As other reviewers have said, the story itself is compelling (with its factual basis) and it is tremendously well paced, as the author leads the reader along both strands of the tale and builds the tension.
Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Dec. 2009
This review is from: October Skies (Paperback)
This book is a wonderfully written masterpiece. The way Alex moves from 1856 to the present day throughout is expertly done while keeping momemtum in the story telling. I won't give any of the story away but if you like a fast moving plot with realistic characters then you should buy this book. It will keep you guessing almost to the end. Lastly, if any of the major movie companies are reading this review, it would make a great film.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

October Skies
October Skies by Alex Scarrow (Paperback - 24 Sept. 2009)