This latest instalment in the Cross Stitch (US-Outlander) series is as good as Gabaldon gets.

Published on 27 Sept. 2009 by AnetteF

1.0 out of 5 stars I like a cliffhanger - but....
As a great fan of the whole Outlander series, having read the books more than once, I was super excited to get Echo in the Bone. However, having read it, I am more disappointed than I have been with any book in a long time.

Published on 26 Jan. 2010 by R. Davies

1.0 out of 5 stars I like a cliffhanger - but...., 26 Jan. 2010
R. Davies (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews

The story seemed very disjointed with "additional characters" entering but not being given enough page space to become real, and others, like Lord John (who has his own series, which is written more recently) getting far too much space. Though even this would have been ok, if his story actually made sense - not wanting to spoil it for all you who haven't read the book, but what was he doing - maybe I dozed off and missed the one paragraph of text which explained his part in the book.

Cliffhangers - well I feel a little abused, I have all the other books and would happily have bought the next one, I didn't need to feel that I had to because this was only half a book. It ended and I honestly went looking for the rest of it, as it just didn't seem finished, did the publishers split what should be a fantastic book into two?

For the sake of the series, I would say keep reading, but as a book on it's own, well I doubt it would convince anyone to read the others.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a shame!, 29 Jan. 2010
E. Logan "MerewynMerlin" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
I have read all the reviews of this book on Amazon and other sites, just to make sure it wasn't only me; that I wasn't going senile and missing the point. Like many other readers, I feel let down and betrayed by Diana Gabaldon. I have loved the previous six books in the series (some, admittedly, more than others) and have read and re-read them many times. Like many other fans, I had pre-ordered the book and awaited its arrival with keen anticipation.

Apart from the quantity (definitely not quality) of the plots and sub-plots; the references to the Lord John Grey series (which I tried but they were boring, and should definitely not have been included); and the multiple cliff-hangers at the end, I think the accuracy was sadly lacking in many scenes and details. As another reader pointed out (and I lived in the Highlands of Scotland, so I know it's so even with today's motorways!) it would have taken a lot more than 4-5 hours to drive from Oxford to Inverness! And this is just one small example of myriad mistakes and inaccuracies.

The feeling one is left with is that Diana Gabaldon wrote this in a hurry, or certainly with lack of attention, and was pushed to get it out for a deadline (which given that there was a four-year gap between books seems unlikely). Perhaps she herself is just bored with the series, but at the very least it should have been possible to give the book a rounded ending whilst still leaving it open for more books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding (may include spoilers if you have not read the rest of the series), 27 Sept. 2009
This review is from: An Echo in the Bone (Paperback)

Fast paced, it switches a lot between viewpoints of different characters and sometimes you have read a couple of paragraphs before realising that the action has moved to a different location and who is talking. I really liked that aspect of it. The whole book was incredibly entertaining and will re-unite you with just about everyone you love in the series.

For the first time we have extensive sections about Jamie's son William and especially towards the end of the book he becomes more fully integrated into the storyline. Lord John, too, is back and whilst everyone will understand his storyline, those that have read the Lord John books will have the perk of picking up on some cross referencing to events in those. Some events involving those two will leave you gob smacked, promise. One section is appropriately named 'A series of short, sharp shocks'.

After finishing the previous book in the series, I had been concerned that maybe this book would mainly consist of us getting told events through the letters found in the wooden box. I am glad to say that whilst yes, they do appear, they are only a small part of it and we mainly see 'live action'. Talking of letters, the only part I found a little boring were a couple of letters written by William to his step-father, mainly because details of military campaigns are not a favourite topic of mine.

We do get to hear a lot more from Brianna, Roger and the kids, something I think most readers were very much hoping for. If you have read the excerpts that have been available pre-publishing, you'll be surprised at what turns out to be the danger lurking in the tower at Lallybroch, the explanation for which in turn, leads to a whole series of events that towards the end leaves you with a rotten, and I must say in my case, not anticipated cliffhanger. But there is balance as several events come to pass that we have anticipated for quite some time.

I am extremely grateful to Diana Gabaldon that whilst Jamie and Claire are still 'at it', the sex scenes are still neither repetitive, nor overdone, nor do you get the impression they are put in as page fillers or to add some dubious shock value to the book. If only one or two other authors would take note.

On the negative side, Williams letters apart, there wasn't a great deal. I was on such a constant high that I had no trouble dealing with the inevitable battles in-between (which as mentioned, aren't my thing). The worst thing is, I now have to wait however long, for the next book.

Update: after re-reading the book and listening to it on audio as well, I still love it. I think it is only natural that everyone has their favourite characters and some they are not so keen on. Having read and taken part in several discussions about it, I would say that for those readers who want Jamie and Claire to be centre stage all the time, this book will not be their favourite. For those who like me, have an equal interest in what happens to some of the others, this book certainly delivers.

Update: For those who like me are desperately waiting for the next book in the series... Check out Diana's Facebook page where you will find lots of excerpts for 'Written In My Own Heart's Blood' (which is due out: revised date June 2014) as well as some of her other books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappoinment!, 26 Jan. 2010
BethanieKay (TX, United States) - See all my reviews
Wow, I'm not even sure what to write. I loved this book and I hated it. This is by far my least favorite book in the series. There were multiple things that Gabaldon totally messed up in writing this book - first, there were way too many sub-plots. At least four, maybe five. Ugh. There was way too much with boring Lord John and Willie, and other miscellaneous characters (who may or may not be related somehow to someone else)... come on, who cares? I want more Jamie and Claire! I would have been happy if the entire book focused on J and C, and had a bit of Young Ian thrown in, and maybe some Roger and Bree (who I normally think are annoying). Also, the entire story was totally disjointed - jumping back and forth in continuity, POV, time, place, you name it. It was mind boggling (in a bad way). There was also way too much boring history. Some of it is okay, but there were pages and pages that I just skimmed. Speaking of that, this book was way too long - they could have edited out at least 1/4 of this book and it would have still been fine. Finally, my biggest complaint is the awful, horrible, unfair, unjust cliffhanger ending of at least 3 of the many sub-plots. WHYYYYYY would she do that? As if we want to wait another 4 years to find out what happens with the KEY characters? It was ridiculous. I cannot believe she did that. Sometimes cliffhangers are good, but in this instance they were not.

There were a few good things in the book - first, I always love reading Jamie's clever witicisms. He'll always be the epitomy of a handsome, rugged, witty, sexy, sexual, loyal Scotsman :) I also love Claire and her intelligence, her ability to take charge, her loyalty, and her ability to keep things together (both literally and emotionally). I also think it's awesome that J and C still have their heated chemistry after all these years ;) [Would have loved for there to be more sex scenes... WTH?] Claire's medical knowledge always impresses me, so that's fun to read - although reading about wartime illnesses and injuries has gotten old across the past couple books. I also really enjoy Young Ian and Rollo - Ian is a very captivating character, and I love his loyalty and friendship with Rollo :) I'm glad Ian finally found someone he loves; albeit, a very unlikely match it is. Finally, although I pretty much hated all the boring scenes in America, I truly loved the scenes in Scotland.

I began reading this book with the thought that it was the final book, so I was expecting things to come to a conclusion (hopefully, a satisfactory one!). But nooo, instead it was an overlong, boring, tedious read with not enough Jamie and Claire and way too many other boring characters. Ugh. I felt that 'A Breath of Snow and Ashes' was overlong and boring, with not enough J and C, so I'm severely disappointed that this one was much of the same. I'm pretty ticked off that I have to wait another FOUR years (her usual track record) until the next book comes out, just to find the answer to the multiple cliff-hangers. I mean, come on - the book was already 800+ pages, couldn't she stick in another 20-50 pages to resolve these issues instead of making us wait unnecessarily for another four years? Seems like a marketing ploy, which I don't like - but of course because of my love for the Outlander books and their characters, I will wait, and I will buy the next (final?) book when it comes out. I just hope it's shorter than this one, and that it focuses on Jamie and Claire.

When people ask me what my favorite book is, Outlander is always one of my top ten. However, after the 4th book in this series, I think the series went downhill (for all the same reasons; too many characters, boring characters, boring storylines, too much history, and NOT ENOUGH Jamie and Claire). I can now definitively say that Gabaldon is not one of my favorite authors anymore - at least, not in her current/recent form. If she returned to the basics and wrote as she did for the first 4 Outlander books, I'd change my mind.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fans disappointed, new readers confused, 17 Jan. 2010
Bookwoman - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
As other reviewers have said, this author needs a stern editor who's brave enough to deliver a few home truths. I'm a great Diana Gabaldon fan, and any book she writes with Jamie and Claire in it is required reading for me, but this is by far the worst of the series: it's self-indulgent, meandering and confusing.
A bit of self discipline would have produced a much clearer narrative with far fewer characters and settings. I don't mind a multi-viewpoint book but this one seems to have made some very random choices. And why does an author who can put her characters on a mountainside doing not very much for 200-odd pages (in the Fiery Cross) rush the ending of this book so, and leave so many important storylines just hanging? Bit of a nerve, I thought. So much for the long-awaited meeting between Jamie and Willie. And as for Claire and Lord John - sorry, but yuck - and what nonsense!
I don't know how many more Outlander books Ms Gabaldon's got up her sleeve, but it's time for her to make some decisions over where it's all going. Jamie and Claire are the heart and soul of the saga but I suppose it's time to pass the baton on - they're getting a bit old now for all that sex in the heather - even though it's hard for the new characters to come out from their shadow. Ian and Willie are growing on me, however, and I suppose there's got to be a bit of Roger (worthy but dull) and Brianna (who seems to have inherited all the things I don't like about Claire, but with none of her redeeming features) too. As for Lord John, he's got his own (rather boring, in my opinion) spin-off stories to inhabit.
Still, at least you could never say that this is an author who's short of material, and I suppose we suckers will always be waiting for the next instalment ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Struggled my way through it, 8 April 2010
S. Isbister "guinne55" (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
I thought An Echo in the Bone was, to be frank, far too long and pretty boring. Perhaps the book suffers a little in comparison with the first few books in the series as they are so brilliantly written.

I can't help feeling that Claire and Jamie, as much as I've loved reading about them over the years, should be put to rest. To me the series has been in decline since the last book to the point where An Echo in the Bone has the distinct tang of money-spinner about it. I've given the book three stars in this review since, despite all its faults and failings, Diana Gabaldon retains some echo (if you'll pardon the pun) of her snappy and interesting writing style.

By all means buy the book if you want to find out what happens next; but be prepared to skip over about a third of the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - but still worth reading, 1 Sept. 2010
Having read all of the Outlander Series and found them to be un-put-downable, I could barely wait for "An Echo In the Bone" to be released. I was saddened to find that Diana Gabaldons latest novel proved extremely difficult to get into. I disliked the way that she chopped and changed from character to character, the whole thing seemed disjointed. As mentioned in another review, I also disliked whole chapters devoted to Lord John Grey. There were huge chunks of the book written in the style of letters, I found them tedious in the extreme.

Even when the book returned to the characters we know and love, there seemed to be a great deal of what could only be described as padding out. Much about Claire returned to the medical side of things but with nothing particularly new, nothing that grabbed ones attention.

As others have mentioned, the final third of the book picked up pace and returned to the style of writing and storyline that we've come to expect from this otherwise, outstanding collection of books.

Diana Gabaldon is an extremely talented writer, there's no doubt and I can't think of series of books I've enjoyed more. I'm not sure what went wrong here, perhaps she was trying to be just a little too clever, with her "Take me seriously, I'm a talented author" hat on. In my opinion it didn't work and was her most disappointing book to date. Instead of finding the book hard to put down, I found I wasn't drawn to pick it up in the same way as before.

The criticism is made in comparison to the other books in the series and I would still recommend any Outlander fans to read "An Echo In The Bone", it's still worth a read. I hope that Ms Gabaldon does take time to read some of the reviews and will hopefully return to her previous, outstanding style of writing.

1.0 out of 5 stars I've lost the plot with this series now, 1 Feb. 2010
Well, I WANTED to like it. I really did. I started reading Diana Gabaldon's novels when I was about eighteen. I'm now thirty. Maybe as I've grown older my tastes have changed but all I can say about this novel is that it is overly long, self-indulgent, unnecessarily convoluted and ultimately not the satisfying read I was hoping for. The first few novels were fantastic but the phrase 'flogging a dead horse' comes to mind. The story feels tired and I can't help thinking that this talented author would have done herself a favour if she'd moved away from this series a few years back (and moved away completely, i.e. hadn't written the pointless Lord John series) and come up with a new, fresh idea with new but different characters for her many fans to enjoy.

I accept that fiction, by defnition, is frequently unbelievable and tends to rely on coincidence, heroes, villains etc in ways that real life doesn't, and that's fine up to a point. I think Diana reached that point about 3 books ago; this one definitely went way too far and required the suspension of far too much disbelief. I'm disappointed because I was such an avid fan in my twenties and went on and on about these novels to everyone, trying to persuade them to read them. Like most fans, I was in it for the long haul because I genuinely cared about the characters (fancied Jamie, envied Claire for being so witty / clever / loyal / near-perfect, relished all the kidnap scenes that required heroic derring-do; die hard fans know what I mean) but I gave up caring some two thousand pages ago. This novel doesn't add to the overall story, as far as I'm concerned. I can't help thinking Diana knows she's onto a good thing and can do what she likes with the plot and characters because her fans will stay faithful no matter what. Some of the meandering stories involving characters most of the readers don't especially like seem very self-absorbed. At times the book was genuinely and thoroughly boring. All I want to do when the next book comes out is join a blog where someone can tell me, finally, what happens to the three thousand characters we've met. I'm sure the real fans will disagree with me, but for anyone who was maybe beginning to wonder why they were still following this series when they were reading Breath of Snow (as I was) I urge you to just read some spoilers to find out what happens in this book. The 'revelations' and 'shocks' are not worth the 500-odd pages of indulgent nothingness because they aren't believable, even in the context of these novels (like, not even a little) so you'll be left dissatisfied.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Echo in the Bone, 2 Feb. 2010
I laboured through all the waffle in the book (Lord John and son William) in the hope it would get going, but alas it never happened. I feel it just tempted the reader to make sure you buy the next instalment!, I will have to think long and hard about spending my hard earned money on Jamie and Claire again. What a disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Filler-in book, 31 Jan. 2010
K. Tindall - See all my reviews
This book was really poor compared to the others in the series. It waffled on for the first two-thirds. I didn't read any of the chapters with Lord Grey in it and don't think I missed anything. What happens between Claire and Lord Grey is absolute rubbish. Every single story line is left hanging. This was just a money-spinner between the last and next books. If you're a massive fan and can't resist getting this, just read the last third.

An Echo in the Bone (Outlander)
An Echo in the Bone (Outlander) by Diana Gabaldon (Paperback - 30 Sept. 2010)