Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 9 April 2010
It's great to finally have explanations about the re-union and the two break-ups, because it's obvious we'd never get the truth from the newspapers.

Andy has always been my least favorite member of Duran Duran, but now that I have read his book, I see him very differently and I must admit that his personal story is very moving, he even made me cry, especially when he talked about his parents.

When I get this book, at first I thought I would skip all the pages that were not going to be Duran Duran related but in the end, I was very pleasantly surprised to realize how I enjoyed reading all about his life, this book is really fascinating. At the end, I was almost in fact skipping a lot of Duran pages after all.

One thing is for sure, I will never see Nick Rhodes or John Taylor the same way again, but I still would like to listen to their versions of events too.

My only regret is that, since it's a book written by Andy and not Simon or Nick, it's obvious that a lot of important steps of Duran Duran's musical evolution are missing (Notorious, Big Thing, Wedding album etc.).

But what really saddens me the most is that, after I've read the book, I was left a little bit depressed because I felt that if all the Duran guys spent more time in the recording studios than on bars, at parties, using drugs or drinking alcohol, we'll have much more than only 4 studio albums made by the five of them !

Reading that book also convinced me (just like it was the case for Depeche Mode too I guess) that too much touring is what kills these bands in the first place by draining all their enthusiasm and energy. Because I'm sure it's no coincidence that both bands were brought on the brink of destruction immediately after doing huge american tours.
on 27 August 2009
The paperback edition (summer 2009) seems to have ironed out the editorial errors in the first (2008) hardback edition. As others have said, Andy comes across as extremely likeable, very honest and funny as hell. The stories and anecdotes about the rise of Duran Duran from 1980 to 1983 are unbelievable, but clearly true. The view from the stratosphere (1983-85) sounds terrifying, a living nightmare...please read the book to see how the band and the band members disintegrate under the intense public gaze. There are lots of "Now I understand!" moments, where you can piece together where Andy's account 'dovetails' with the 'official' version of events that had been fed to the fans over the years.

It's a real roller coaster, and you can totally get why these 5 men in their early 20s went mad in their own ways as a way of coping with the pressures of fame. 5 normal-ish guys who suddenly found themselves in a whirlwind. Just as with Beatlemania 20 years before, there was a heavy price to pay mentally and physically and it is a miracle that none of them ended up dead: Simon is clearly a fun and optimistic character, but has slight delusions of artistic grandeur and developed a hard shell to protect himself from the cruel music and tabloid press. Nick, with the overarching artistic vision (Warhol's mini-me?!), but a control freak with the ability to disconnect emotionally from difficult situations. Andy, heart on his sleeve, rocker and musician at heart, no bull, but always the Geordie outsider: he has battled his own demons with drink, drugs and depression, supported over the decades by his amazing and long-suffering wife, Tracey (she sounds like a well-rounded saint in the Yasmin Le Bon mould). John, the childlike muso geek and ugly duckling whose talent and looks blossom but then seeks oblivion in drugs for far too long. Roger, sweet-natured and shy, and the least able to cope with the spotlight, his breakdown and agoraphobia seems almost inevitable, the way Andy tells it. He speaks with great affection about all of the other 4, especially in the early years, although it's hard to imagine two more different characters than Andy and Nick - except perhaps Andy and Nick's first wife, Julie Anne 'Yoko' Rhodes!

I would have liked Andy to have gone into more detail about the creative process involved in making the first three albums. I guess that his songwriting (and production) skills were suppressed by Simon, John and Nick during this period, so he 'just' added his funk-punk Andy guitar sound and that was it.

If you are a worshipper of Simon, Nick or John as individuals, the book shows them as all too human, so you may not like what Andy has to say, especially about the events surrounding the Reportage sessions and the 2006 'divorce'. He is still angry about it, and the communication breakdown does seem tragic, but he is never bitter. When the other 4 finally get round to writing their memoirs, I doubt that they will be as honest or as detailed at this. An absolute must-read for any fair-minded Duran fan.
on 18 October 2013
I've enjoyed the book up to Chapter 14 but I've now found some of it pretty boring and repetative. I doubt that I will be reading anymore.
on 13 October 2008
I've read quite a few rock biographies - and this is one of the best.
As a fellow Geordie I had a soft-spot for Andy, although I always thought he was bit of an argumentative sod and so I expected this to be a bit of a bitch-fest.
I was wrong - he is frequently critical of himself, and, contrary to a review below does give embarrassing revelations about himself.
He clearly has some "issues" with Nick but gives him praise as well as criticism.
There's plenty of entertaining stories here - he gives a bit mroe detail on the drugs side of things than was known previously, although he seems to play down the groupie angle to an extent I find a bit suspicious.

Well written as well - you can actually tear through the book, even if his turn of phrase and use of cliche can get a bit jarring.

Here's hoping the rest of the band release something soon!
on 7 October 2008
I found Andy Taylor's "tell all" very interesting to read. Wondering what Nick, Simon, Roger or John had to say about it I contacted them via their "PR" person Katy who stated that the guy's have "No Comment". How typical. I admire Andy for being willing to share with us the reason he is no longer in Duran Duran today and providing details about his untimely departure from the group in 2006.
on 20 March 2016
I loved andy in my teens and he was my favourite along with john taylor. Andy's life story was interesting and it was good to read about his early days in Newcastle and his family background. I love the fact that Andy married young when the band were at the peak of their fame and the marriage survived all that showbiz threw at them. This book is a must for any true duran duran fan. I have also read John Taylor's book and I would love it if Simon wrote one too.
on 18 April 2011
Andy Taylor gives a good account about his life whilst in the band throughout the eighties and again when the original lineup reformed almost two decades later. Although Andy is very direct about his differences with some members of the band - Nick Rhodes in particular - he describes his experiences and views in a constructive and dignified manner. The book describes in detail about their wild party lifestyles, he gives a fascinating account of the contributions that were made by each member of the band with regards to thier music and he also gives details regarding his personal life experiences and thoughts. It made me cry, chuckle and smile. That is always a good sign that I have thoroughly enjoyed a book.
on 2 July 2009
We wo0uld like to thank Andy for providing the fans with the sacrosaint truth on the failed reunion and on the difficultes of the band since mid 2004, before signing the contract.
Of course the tale is a bit exaggerated, that's His Bio and all is under the control of his lawyers, so all is on his favor, but the facts read somehow truthful.
We are not against the surviving members of the band at all. Our support goes on.
We regret, we do regret that the boys and Andy Taylor are not able to enjoy their success together.
on 14 October 2015
If you were a "Duranie" in the 80's then it's a great read. I just wish I'd discovered it when it was first published. Thanks Andy x
on 6 January 2016
Good book if Duran are your idols. A troubled genius with underlying flaws. However honest and well written if a bit biased I feel.