5.0 out of 5 stars I wish he'd written this 5 years ago.
An excellent book by Mr B. Every word is true, no nonsense and clearly spells out the steps you need to take OR NOT when setting up a business.

Having just buried my first business I wish I had had it 5 years ago. Lessons I have learnt the hard way are spelt out here and should be heeded.

While giving every encouragement to the budding small business...
Published on 3 Sep 2008 by A. C. Shaw

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm..
I listened to this CD some time ago and at the time I quite admired the man for his achievements coming from such a humble background and all. Sure, he's now a multi-millionaire and has worked hard and long for it. But now time has passed, I get the feeling that what I heard on the CD was just a rose tinted egotistical version of his past business endeavours. Also, don't...
Published on 23 Sep 2010 by Amazonmaniac

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 18 May 2010
E. Hart (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wake Up and Change Your Life (Paperback)
I found this book very inspirational.

Duncan Bannatyne guides you through the basic steps that you would take in order to start up a business; everything from examining your own strengths and weaknesses; researching your market; coming up with a company name; and writing the all important business plan.

It has made me believe that I can do it - what more could I want! Having said that Duncan Bannatyne does not look to enthuse his readers by telling you how easy it is and glossing over the hard bits. He makes every attempt to demonstrate the amount of commitment and time setting up your first business takes but he also shows you how you can overcome the challenges you face and ultimately succeed in business.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good some great tips and advice, 23 April 2010
This review is from: Wake Up and Change Your Life (Paperback)
went through this book slowly felt it was very good but came away looking for more questions to be answered in my head

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 10 Aug 2009
Duncan started a cleaning service, first by cleaning for his aunt, then distributing flyers in his neighborhood adverticing his cleaning service. A lady responded, but was reluctant, when she saw the young man showing up alone - without a working suit nor a company truck(with the company name on it). He then went home to get recommendations from his aunt and his mother and returned in a business suit with an offer to work free for two weeks. He got the job.
Duncan give simple examples like this and has convinced me that I can start a business too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake Up and Change Your Life, 10 July 2009
A book that can aid in starting a business and help make it a success by learning from Duncan a successful entrepreneur must be worth reading. Look forward to future material

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm Out, 19 April 2012
This review is from: Wake Up and Change Your Life (Paperback)
I find this book rather hypocritical considering the persona that Duncan displays whilst on Dragon's Den.
"Anyone can do it"..."Wake up and change your life"... are these really the words of the same person who slumps in his chair and shakes his head from side to side when an enthusiastic entrepreneur pitches their dream to him? If only the "dragons" were as rich in manners as they were money, then perhaps I could have some admiration for them. The book is okay, hence the three stars, but If I was a publisher and Duncan was an unknown, not on the telly as a dragon,then I would have to shake my head from side to side and say "sorry, I'm out".

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for motivation, but not realistic, 30 Oct 2011
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wake Up and Change Your Life (Paperback)
I'm a fan of Duncan Bannatyne and his whole "just get on with it and do it" ethos, but for all it's drive this book is very disconnected from day-to-day life, to the point where I suspect it's 100% ghost written with Duncan just contributing a handful of comments and his name to the cover.

The ethos of the book is "if you want to do it, you'll do it" , with the ongoing advice of work full-time to bring in an income to fund your second full-time job as an entrepreneur, but it repeatedly fails to consider the real world implications this scenario.

The clearest example of this is his story about someone wanting to write a book. He argues disparagingly against a would-be writer's decision to give up her job to focus on writing and her house move to a location where bills are cheaper in order to make her meagre income go further, with the fact she should have just bought a pencil. Work a full-time job. Write a book in the evening. With a pencil. Whoever wrote that has never written a book, or worked a 9 - 5 job - evidence alone that Mr Bannatyne didn't write this book himself.

Fine for a motivation boost, but for a more realistic discussion of how to move forward in practical terms How To Be Smart With Your Time: Expert Advice from the Star of Dragons' Den is a lot more helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational for Entrepreneurs, 5 Jun 2011
This review is from: Wake Up and Change Your Life (Paperback)
I have admired Duncan Bannatyne for many years and I find his story very inspirational due to all that he has achieved from scratch and with out qualifications. I initially read his biography "Anyone can do it" and I absolutely loved it. I have been thinking for a while about becoming an entrepreneur and this book "Wake up and change your life" has given me the courage that I needed to go for it and pursue my dream. After reading this book I have a stronger belief that if we do not try and take risks in life, we will never know what we would have been capable of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Removing the barriers, 28 Dec 2008
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Removing the barriers

Although all the reviews so far have been five star It is not as good as his first book. There are plenty of how to books on the market and I am sure if anyone knows how to it is Duncan Bannatyne

The first book had the excitement and edge of describing how he made it form nothing with no discernible talents and as he quite rightly said if he can do it anyone can do it.

This book has sold nowhere near as well as his first book and is obviously written with a view to following up on the earlier success. Unfortunately this is no Godfather 2..

If it had not been written by Duncan Bannantyne I doubt it would have got anywhere near a publisher. I agree that if you are prepared to work at it anyone can maker a million. A lot of people baulk at that statement but he is right .It is not like say running a marathon, there are many ways to make money and most of them do not require intelligence skill or brain power . They just require application and hard work.

Unfortunately we like to believe that those who are better off than us are just lucky or have inherited the money. We don't want to believe it was just hard work and application

The chapters set out what is required. The biggest problem which he starts with is removing the barriers. The best is I don't have time
The is the most common complaint but those who make it at anything seem to be able to use their time wisely.

He then goes on to tell you the number of small businesses that can be started on under a thousand pounds as that is the next objection.

The idea is the next most important as again people think you need a new idea. They are ten a penny and you can copy any one and apply yourself to it and succeed. There are not original ideas just spins on old ones

Most people think the idea and raising finance are the two most difficult area. This is demonstrated by Dragons Den. But what is obvious on Dragons den is that it is execution of the plan and th people concerned are the most important.

Sometimes they say I don't like our idea but I will back you.

Even the Dragons don't get it right every time as they have missed opportunities so any book will only take you so far. You can generalise who and what will make a good business but it is no substitute for reality.

I would agree that this is a superior buiness book as Duncan Bannatyne obviously knows his business but it only gives guidelines and need to be put into practice.

Like all self help books the ideas have to be put into practice whereas it is every easy to just go th bookshop or library and get out another self help book.

A good read but not as outstanding as his first so I will only give him a four star. If you haven't read his first book start there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wake Up and Change Your Life (Paperback)
This book has some useful tips but is written from a very male perspective. I knew nothing about the author before I read it but you can't help thinking that his workaholic nature would cause problems. Working every weekend was bound to have an impact. He is obviously a driven man. Most women wouldn't feel happy with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Duncan Bannatyne what a gem, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Wake Up and Change Your Life (Paperback)
I read this book when on night shift and no fluff hype Duncan says it as it is no lies just pure truth i love that i got inmune with this book to the turn i read it twice i was into the book 100% any more books training Duncan offers in business im ready to be your student.

Wake Up and Change Your Life
Wake Up and Change Your Life by Duncan Bannatyne (Paperback - 3 Aug 2009)
7.19